Author Topic: Tolerance works both ways  (Read 8119 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Tolerance works both ways
« on: October 24, 2007, 09:35:14 pm »
I would like to take this opportunity to ask my fellow Bettermost residents to consider something.

I consider myself a liberal. I am a card carrying member of the ACLU, I am disenchanted with politics and have some deffinate ideas on national policy. One of those ideas is that it is the responsibility of the majority to look after the interests of the minority.

We here on this forum are in the awkward and somewhat liberating position of being in the majority for once. There are no haters, no trolls, no one calling us fags or chastising straight people for associating with us and that is a good thing. We are a largely liberal bunch, with a healthy mix of all political stripes. However, I think this largely liberal bunch needs to be more accepting of our conservative members. Their struggle is every bit as real as ours, their viewpoints just as valid. We are lucky that we live in countries where we are free to speak our minds without fear of retribution. It should be the same here, and we just might learn something from them.

In a nutshell I ask you, please listen to what a person has to say, and try to understand why they feel that way.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Tolerance works both ways
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 10:23:55 pm »
This is a very valid point, Truman.  And I think you've hit the nail on the head in a sense with this statement:

We here on this forum are in the awkward and somewhat liberating position of being in the majority for once.

That feeling of liberation, even ecstasy, when you feel you've gone so long without anybody understanding you, can be heady.

One of the things I like and respect about BetterMost members, by-and-large, is that we're a well-read, intelligent crowd who are 'real thinkers'.  If one of us feels strongly about something, you can count on it being for a good reason, not just because somebody else said it or we heard a sound byte that was appealing.

I would hate to think that anyone would feel alienated from this diverse community because of differences of opinion about the details.  This community bridges so many barriers - ethnicity, nationality, religion, economy, philosophy, education, age, and obviously gender and sexual orientation.

Reasonable people can disagree.  I cannot stress that enough.  We have a lot of fun here, but we also debate some pretty serious issues that do not have easy answers.  If the answers were easy, there wouldn't be much to talk about.

I love the respectful discussions we have when we strive to understand why someone feels strongly one way or another.  I'm usually the optimist, but I doubt we're going to definitively solve any of the world's problems here and now.  So what matters most to me is understanding what's in each of our hearts.  Let's take this phenomenal opportunity we've been handed (pretty much on a silver platter!) and learn from one another.

Someone, (Phillip, I think? or maybe Aussie Chris?) posted this before in the very earliest days, but one of the purposes of an online community is to be a place where you can be Heard.  Let's strive to keep BetterMost friendly and nonjudgmental where we DO Hear each other and Love each other.  And where we're never hesitant to express what's in our hearts, even (especially?) if we know it's not going to be popular.  A big part of loving is loving without conditions.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 10:31:52 pm »
I like the way ya'll think.  ;D ;)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 11:01:50 pm »
 :P :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :-*
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 02:26:25 am »

One of them what? Jess,,,, :-\ :-\ :-\

Beautiful mind

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 12:38:01 pm »

EWWWW!!

It is one of THEM!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

*Jess RUNS like the wind for the protection of the Store!!!*

;D

I acknowledge the emoticons, and thank you Jess for the example, yes, "one of them".  Its the same thing I have heard said about me because of what I am. Here I think we should set aside those differences, We have enough enemies in the world as it is. We don't need to be ganging up on one another.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 09:33:18 am »
Here we don't go that far.

Roland's theory is that we have all learned to be friends first...so when we see our friends getting upset we take a step back.

*insert nodding head icon here* totally Jess and Roland, totally.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 09:48:00 am »
I agree with the head nodding  :) ;D

I think I have had to get my head around the fact that there are gay people who are conservative in their political outlook, and align themselves on many issues with larger groups that I feel practice intolerance against gay people. So I try to keep my eyes open in the grey areas, I find I agree with them on some things too.

In my own country we are so polarized and there is so much animosity betwixt the polls, progress suffers.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 10:32:36 am »
I agree. I was discussing this with Roland the other night (Or morning) in the Grill. I have been on forums where the conversations we have been getting into (death penalty/abortion/health care/mayo vs Miracle Whip) would result in broken friendships and people deleting their accounts in outrage.

And I'll bet the mayo-vs.-Miracle Whip was the most divisive of all.  :)  ;)

Love y'all!  :-*  :-*  :-*
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Scott6373

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 10:37:18 am »
Hellmans

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 10:45:17 am »
Hellmans

Known as

Best Foods

west of the Rockies

Some people have tried to tell me that Cain's (indigenous here in New England) is as good as Hellman's.

It's not.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 11:08:06 am »
We must just remember to be tolerant of those poor, benighted souls who prefer Miracle Whip.

Now let's get back on topic before Truman gets mad at me. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 11:22:29 am »
We must just remember to be tolerant of those poor, benighted souls who prefer Miracle Whip.

Now let's get back on topic before Truman gets mad at me. ...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That would be defeating the purpose of the thread!  :laugh: I think the mayo discussion is a good methphor for the bigger picture. Kind of like being from a Chevy family and one of the members comes home with a Ford.

A few years ago the Log Cabin Republican, the "Gay Republicans" made a contribution to the campaign of the current president. It was returned to them. I think they have since accepted their donations, but that just galled me they were treated like that and I asked myself "Why do they put up with that?" Why not become a Democrat? Well, I guess it is the same reason I don't capitulate and move to San Francisco, where I live is my home. I might not always feel welcome here but I am here to stay.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 11:34:36 am »
A few years ago the Log Cabin Republican, the "Gay Republicans" made a contribution to the campaign of the current president. It was returned to them. I think they have since accepted their donations, but that just galled me they were treated like that and I asked myself "Why do they put up with that?" Why not become a Democrat? Well, I guess it is the same reason I don't capitulate and move to San Francisco, where I live is my home. I might not always feel welcome here but I am here to stay.

I remember reading about that when the Log Cabin Club had its donation returned. I have to admit, however, that I wasn't quite so sympathetic to the LCR as you seem to have been. I'm afraid my reaction was more along the lines of, "I told you so."

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2007, 11:01:49 am »
Yeah, I can go along with that Jeff, I am like "I could have told you they didn;t want your money." But I think thier intention might have been to engineer that circumstance so that they world could see them and what they were up against.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2007, 11:08:24 am »
Yeah, I can go along with that Jeff, I am like "I could have told you they didn;t want your money." But I think thier intention might have been to engineer that circumstance so that they world could see them and what they were up against.

Perhaps they also were trying to show that they share what might be considered "traditional Republican values"--as in lower taxes, smaller government--those kinds of values. I guess they kinda got told that because they're gay, the party doesn't care if they share those values.

It's all pandering to religious conservatives.

karen1129

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2007, 10:37:05 am »
I don't really chose to participate in these types of discussions.  I have my own belierfs......
I'm Pro Choice, a Democrat, and have some definte opinions about politics and religion.
However, I don't chose to debate them with anyone.  It's not going to really change
anyones minds. 

I had a young man, 30 years old, in my office that told me I was not a true liberal.
I asked him why he said that...... he said because I believe in God.
I'm like WTF !!!!  So you are saying liberals don't believe in God.  He said yes.
I just walked away.  You really can't debate with someone like that.  We're
friends still but we don't discuss these types of issues.

I am confident in my beliefs and I don't feel the need to share them.
It usually causes strife.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2007, 11:27:24 pm »
Just read all of your comments.

Thanks for them.

I do not know exactly how to reply to them... or maybe I do!?

Some of you have been negative on certain subjects which became difficult for you as well as for me??!! I can expect that, since we  all beings with different histories, and we do learn from each other!! Marvelous!

Howeve, I feel that too many here do not care, or should I say are afraid to really discuss certain subjects which need to be talked about in dept as much as possible, so we all can become much more tolerate, yes! And the results would likely be ways to be more peaceful??!!

Hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2008, 07:56:49 pm »
Yes, both ways for tolerance.

But for some: one way street!

What can one do?

Hugs!!