Author Topic: 1,000 Ways to Change the World  (Read 13046 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
1,000 Ways to Change the World
« on: October 26, 2007, 12:28:35 pm »

Hello everyone,  :)

I thought it would be a neat idea to build a list of inspiring ideas on the many creative ways each of us can change the world for the better - from the smallest of deeds to the grand.  I sincerely believe that most of us are not as powerless as we may think and that a single drop of water in an ocean is not as insignificant as it appears.

I would love to hear your thoughts.  Maybe we really can collect up to 1,000 fresh ideas!  8)
To keep count, just enter the number in the subject line of your post.

Cheers,
~Lucise

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: 1,000 Ways to Change the World - 1
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 12:50:47 pm »
I thought I'd go first.  :)

Volunteer at a Children's Hospital.

I love children, don't have any of my own, but that could change, who knows.
It is indeed a life-altering experience to spend time with children who are fatally-ill - some dying of cancer or AIDS or some other horrible disease.  An hour a week  with a sick child - to play with them or read them a story or just sit with them goes a long way.

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: 1,000 Ways to Change the World
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 03:46:14 pm »
Brilliant idea, Milli!  :D

Alas, you got me at my week point here. For example, I know that I could make some old ladies happy (my mother in law, my aunt, my husband's aunt, etc.) by being a bit more attentive and considerate towards them. But more often than not, I just can't put myself to actually do it and avoid them when I can because they get on my nerves and steal my time...  :P
I drop a certain sum of money for all kinds of charitable activities every year. But I know, that my time and attention for those who are around me would be worth much more, and that makes me feel guilty. I will try to work at it...
No, wait. Knowing myself, I probably won't...

:-\

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 04:14:42 pm »
Brilliant idea, Milli!  :D

Alas, you got me at my week point here. For example, I know that I could make some old ladies happy (my mother in law, my aunt, my husband's aunt, etc.)

I smiled when I read that Anke!  ;D 

by being a bit more attentive and considerate towards them. But more often than not, I just can't put myself to actually do it and avoid them when I can because they get on my nerves and steal my time...  :P
I drop a certain sum of money for all kinds of charitable activities every year. But I know, that my time and attention for those who are around me would be worth much more, and that makes me feel guilty. I will try to work at it...
No, wait. Knowing myself, I probably won't...
  :-\

At least you ain't kidding yourself about it..  hehe ;D

What you said here:
I drop a certain sum of money for all kinds of charitable activities every year.

was our Number 2 on the list!  8)

~M

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: 1,000 Ways to Change the World -- 3
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 05:17:51 pm »
I thought I'd share a bit about a friend of mine called Francis. He is 97 years old.  He lives in a Seniors Care facility half a block from where I work.  I first saw Francis when I was going to meet a friend at the hospital cafeteria near where he lives.  I was drawn to him almost immediately.  He is one of the warmest souls I have ever met.  He radiates an energy that invites and brings a smile out of a person.  He sometimes sits in his wheelchair by the sliding doors, he says hello to everyone who walks in.  Some say hello back, some hurry off, some stop for a chat.  All I can say is - I am glad I stopped for a chat that day.  He has only one tooth in his mouth but he has one of the best smiles I ever saw - Maybe because you can feel it - you can tell that it is genuine.

Every week when I go by the hospital, I hope to catch a glimpse of him sitting in his wheelchair, dressed in his ol' cardigan and rainbow suspenders.. I got to thinking about Francis and I can't help but think that his carefree, positive attitude keeps him going well into his ripe old age .. I haven't seen much of him lately.  I miss those big ol' smiles .. and the very simple way he makes me smile just by looking at me.

In any case, I thought I'd tell you all a little bit about my friend Francis .. and the one weapon he wields so well:

Smile.
  :)

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: 1,000 Ways to Change the World - 4
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 08:30:07 pm »
SUPPORT WOMEN'S RIGHTS AROUND THE WORLD!!!

This alone, without a doubt, will solve a myriad of the world's problems from the ground up.  The more women are supported, given control over their lives, reproduction and education, the better a place the world will be.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 08:37:10 pm by MaineWriter »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: 1,000 Ways to Change the World - 5
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 08:38:47 pm »
  • Adopt a retired racing greyhound
  • Become knowledgeable about greyhound issues
  • Work to end greyhound racing in states and countries where it is still legal
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: 1,000 Ways to Change the World - #6
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 04:57:09 am »
The theories espoused in Pay it Forward and the Random Acts of Kindness movements speak to me.  So mine is to Look for small ways you can make someone else's path a little smoother.

The other night I used my AAA card to help a couple who were locked out of their vehicle.  It cost me and the friend I was with about 45 minutes of our time to wait on the locksmith - time we would have just spent gabbing anyhow, but I like to think they'll go a bit out of their way the next time an opportunity presents itself.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

mvansand76

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 06:32:28 am »
Great idea for a thread, Milli!  :-*

What about mentoring a child? I mentored a few kids a few years ago, helped them with their homework and with trying to figure out what they wanted in their life!

BTW- I miss you and Anke, it's almost 3 months since we saw each other... :(  :-*

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007, 07:38:16 am »
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~