Author Topic: How often do you think about Brokeback Mountain?  (Read 21235 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
How often do you think about Brokeback Mountain?
« on: May 14, 2006, 03:31:14 am »
For me, the answer is "almost constantly." I'm trying to downgrade to a simple "off and on throughout the day." But it's hard, even after four f*ckin months.

TJ

Re: How often do you think about Brokeback Mountain?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 02:01:37 pm »
Well, I have had Brokeback Mountain - the movie and the original short story on my mind first of all off and on since I first heard about the movie in September 2005 when I saw some information about it on a gay online news service.

In November, I joined a Yahoo Group run by a know-it-all heterosexual-and-proud-of-it somewhat homophobic woman who lived in Australia. It was not listed as an Australian Yahoo Group; it was listed as a regular AMERICAN Yahoo Group. She did not like it when openly gay men wanted to discuss their own sexual orientation and how the story related to their own lives. She tried to claim that one's sexual orientation was not that important.

Well, as soon as a friend sent me a text copy of Annie Proulx's Dead Line, Ltd. 1997 copyrighted edition of Brokeback Mountain as published in the "Close Range" short stories book, I decided to start my own Yahoo Group with primary emphasis on the short story and that was in December 2005. I am closing that group this month because most of what is in the book and the movie as far as the issues brought up in Annie Proulx's story are concerned, my other Yahoo Groups have been covering them for several years now.

I do take time to read what is here in the BetterMost board several times a day. I have it set up that I never sign out of the board; but, the time listed only shows when I have the window open to read or post.

As a person who has lived and still lives in the Historical American West, I feel that I have a right to give my POV in regard to how the story and movie content relates to my own life and those whom I know and have known.

Some people have mistaken the states WEST of the Missisippi River to be a part of the American Mid-West. But, historically speaking, the Mid-West is EAST of the Mississippi and NORTH of the Mason-Dixon Line. I don't call Arkansas nor Louisiana Western states (both of them are actually Southern States); but, part of Missouri is in the Central Plains of the USA.

I did create a poll to find out who actually live in or have lived in the historical OLD West between the Rocky Mountains and the Mississippi River.

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 08:24:37 am »
Like most voters here "on and off throughout the day".. The strangest things, events, sightings, noises trigger BBM thoughts..

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 03:56:34 pm »
Everyday for me.   Of course being on BetterMost causes that!     

I can remember shovelling snow a few months ago, and I'd be thinking "Damn, it snows alot in Wyoming during the winter, I wonder how Ennis coped with it up in Riverton?"    How is that for pathetic?

moremojo

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 04:52:19 pm »
For me, now, it's off and on throughout the day. It used to be constantly for every waking hour, and even in my dreams. It saddens me that the movie's hold on me has apparently lessened somewhat  :'(, as it feels like I've betrayed Ennis and Jack thereby. But my love for those boys has not abated, and I think this is a lifelong thing I'm looking at here. God, two fictional characters as the love of your life...is that crazy or what?

Smiling while the tears well up,
 :'( :) :'(
Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 07:51:25 pm by moremojo »

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 08:02:20 pm »
The story is always "gentle on my mind" and surfaces periodically through out the day. One thing I have noticed is that it is always the first thing I think about when I wake up and the last thing before I go to sleep. I have to consiously "change channels" in my head so I don't start or end the day with their broken hearts.

O0

Heathen

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 02:37:24 am »
A more approprisate question wouold be: how often do I srop?
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No man is an island
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 05:13:41 am »
One thing I have noticed is that it is always the first thing I think about when I wake up and the last thing before I go to sleep.
Same here too - still. 

The strangest things, events, sightings, noises trigger BBM thoughts..
~ j U d E
I had a "condiments aisle" moment at the weekend in the supermarket - spotted the sign & away I went  :D

Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 09:16:04 am »
One thing I have noticed is that it is always the first thing I think about when I wake up and the last thing before I go to sleep.
Same here too - still. 

Me too!

Offline Jane

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Together forever.xx
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 09:34:51 am »
Everyday for me.   Of course being on BetterMost causes that!     

I can remember shovelling snow a few months ago, and I'd be thinking "Damn, it snows alot in Wyoming during the winter, I wonder how Ennis coped with it up in Riverton?"    How is that for pathetic?

Noooooooooo David it,s not pathetic atall lol.  The strangest things make me think of that film.  Cooking(open the cupboard and see a can of beans) ffs I cant look at a can of damn beans without smiling now!! Thats pathetic.  I was painting today, and I suddenly had visions of Jack and Ennis in their own place doing the same sort of thing together, larking about and getting covered in paint.  Thats pathetic.  I often think of different scenarios too, like changing a scene so it gets a happy ending. Makes me feel better.  Thats pathetic.  FGS this bloody  film lol.  I dont know about you lot, but I cant remember a film that has affected so many people so much.  They deffinatly make the cutest sexiest couple on screen. sigh. :) :)
Oh one last thing, nothing to do with the thread btw. Own up now. How many of you have your picture files nearly FULL of pics from brokeback or of Jake or Heath??  Come on admit it, it,s pretty full of them isnt it? Mine is.  THAT is pathetic, but nice too.  :P :P
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 09:38:52 am by Jane »
Always and forever. J&E.xx

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 01:34:53 pm »
Noooooooooo David it,s not pathetic atall lol.  The strangest things make me think of that film.  Cooking(open the cupboard and see a can of beans) ffs I cant look at a can of damn beans without smiling now!! Thats pathetic.  I was painting today, and I suddenly had visions of Jack and Ennis in their own place doing the same sort of thing together, larking about and getting covered in paint.  Thats pathetic.  I often think of different scenarios too, like changing a scene so it gets a happy ending. Makes me feel better.  Thats pathetic.  FGS this bloody  film lol.  I dont know about you lot, but I cant remember a film that has affected so many people so much.  They deffinatly make the cutest sexiest couple on screen. sigh. :) :)
Oh one last thing, nothing to do with the thread btw. Own up now. How many of you have your picture files nearly FULL of pics from brokeback or of Jake or Heath??  Come on admit it, it,s pretty full of them isnt it? Mine is.  THAT is pathetic, but nice too.  :P :P

My guess is we'll all chime in on that one.  Both of mine - at home and at work - are full to the rim with Jack and Ennis (and a smidgeon of Jake and Heath, but mostly Jack and Ennis).  I also have the reunion scene (in its entirety, of course), Brandon's montage, and two different audios of interviews of Jake on my home PC.

I just bought a silver ankle bracelet and ordered a harmonica charm to go on it at my lunch break today.  Now *that's* pathetic.
No more beans!

Offline Jane

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Together forever.xx
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 01:46:04 pm »
My guess is we'll all chime in on that one.  Both of mine - at home and at work - are full to the rim with Jack and Ennis (and a smidgeon of Jake and Heath, but mostly Jack and Ennis).  I also have the reunion scene (in its entirety, of course), Brandon's montage, and two different audios of interviews of Jake on my home PC.

I just bought a silver ankle bracelet and ordered a harmonica charm to go on it at my lunch break today.  Now *that's* pathetic.

Where did you get those then??? I want one too, so I can be even more pathetic. ;)
Always and forever. J&E.xx

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 01:54:09 pm »
Where did you get those then??? I want one too, so I can be even more pathetic. ;)

I got the reunion scene at youtube.com, I believe.  I think I might have gotten the audios there, too.  The best one was done right after his win at the BAFTAs in February.  The other one was a telephone interview prior to the Oscars, I think, in which he sounded utterly exhausted and as if he were lying down while talking.  If anyone here knows what I'm talking about (Brandon?  Leslie?  David?) and where to find them, please feel free to jump in and help Jane out.  Meanwhile, Jane, PM me with your email address, and when I get home tonight, I'll see if I can find/send any of them to you.  I think the audios might be on my other computer at home that keeps having a recurring video card problem.  My husband was supposed to be buying a router sometime this week so we can switch between it and our back-up when it goes down.  Our back-up is all that's hooked up right now, and I don't think I have the audios saved on that one.

Could this get any more complicated?  ;)

If you're asking about the harmonica charm, in which case I've almost completely misunderstood you, I just ordered it from World of Charms down here in Florida.  I bought the anklet there today, and they didn't have the charms in stock.  I wanted a white gold one (picky, picky), so I'll have to wait until next week when it comes in.  It was $22.00.
No more beans!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2006, 01:37:17 am »
If I had taken this poll anytime between November and March, it would have been Almost Constantly.  Now I'm Off and on throughout the day.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2006, 01:44:29 am »
If I had taken this poll anytime between November and March, it would have been Almost Constantly.  Now I'm Off and on throughout the day.

I'm not there yet, but I can now manage to go an occasional hour or so without thinking about Brokeback. Helps if something huge is going on to distract me. If, say, my house were on fire, I could probably manage to go two hours.

gattaca

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2006, 05:21:03 pm »
Oh....on and off throughout the day. I just got back from Homo Depot (get it?) and there was this guy who'd parked his Ford pickup next to my car who looked just like Jack Twist from the back with the blue chambray shirt, jeans, boots and I swear, a "beat up Resistol tilted back".

Western wear is common in southern Arizona, even when it's 103 degrees.  ;)

Offline David

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2006, 05:29:44 pm »
I was at a classic car show today and there were several nice looking "Jack Twist" type of pickups there.    I kiddingly asked the owner if she'd sell me the truck.  She said "Oh no, my husband loves this truck".   I so wanted to say "I'll bet Jack Twist wished his was in this beautiful shape".

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2006, 11:25:34 pm »
I voted 'daily' but that varies because sometimes I only get online once a day and somedays I'm off and on all day and when I'm at work, I have some fav pics from BBM up in my cubical where I can see them without even trying.  So I'd say daily is a good average.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2006, 12:15:31 am »
Well, it's definitely off and on throughout the day everyday for me.  I'm on this board essentially everyday (unless I have a trip or something that physically takes me away from the computer) and like people have said... I tend to start and end my day thinking about BBM.  The soundtrack just permanently lives in my stereo (I haven't bothered to put it in it's case for quite a while).  I tend to watch the movie about 3 times a week... although I'm back to my bad-old-ways of not being able to watch it all the way through.  I have to take it out after the motel.  I thought I'd broken myself of this problem, but alas, it's come back.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2006, 01:25:33 pm »
Off and on throughout the day for me...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2006, 01:17:59 am »
I think about Brokback Mountain all the time.... and watch it at least 3 or 4 times a week. I have been known to watch it 3 times a day, but not very often.

I am to the point where I can pretty much watch the movie in my head.  I did this last night when the power went out.

Pretty bad, huh?? :o
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2006, 02:20:47 pm »
I saw your post, David, about the power outage and playing the movie in your mind.  I wanted to comment there but now I've lost it; anyhow, it's just phenomenal that you can do that.  I don't think I could review the entire film in one sitting that way - not because of lack of knowledge, per se, but more lack of attention span on my part.

I do listen to the soundtrack before bed and sometimes review my most comforting scenes - usually the bucolic drive of the sheep up the mountain or the 'sweet life' campfire scene (omitting Ennis' Earl and Rich memory of course).  Some of these have become meditations for me.

And there's the way the movie characters have infiltrated my internal dialogue, thinking of my 'inner Jack' or 'inner Ennis', and so forth.

Lynne

"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2006, 04:06:18 pm »
I saw your post, David, about the power outage and playing the movie in your mind.  I wanted to comment there but now I've lost it; anyhow, it's just phenomenal that you can do that.  I don't think I could review the entire film in one sitting that way - not because of lack of knowledge, per se, but more lack of attention span on my part.

I do listen to the soundtrack before bed and sometimes review my most comforting scenes - usually the bucolic drive of the sheep up the mountain or the 'sweet life' campfire scene (omitting Ennis' Earl and Rich memory of course).  Some of these have become meditations for me.

And there's the way the movie characters have infiltrated my internal dialogue, thinking of my 'inner Jack' or 'inner Ennis', and so forth.

Lynne

Hi Lynne! It certainly comes in handy when there is no electricity (which sometimes happens here in Indiana. We get some pretty big thunderstorms out here). But it is really more visual. I guess  I don't really hear all the words. I guess I SEE it in my mind, more than I HEAR it. (I have troubles remembering exactly what the characters say in certain parts of  the movie). I really don't want to make it out to be more than it is. I'm sure there are others who can do it, but I sure did surprise myself the other night.  It surprised me that I could pretty much SEE the movie visually from beginning to end. But Brokeback Mountain is over 2 hours long in length, and when I watched the movie in my mind, it only took about 45 minutes. So you can see what I mean! But it sure helped to pass the time while I waited for the electricity to  come back on. :)

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2006, 08:45:22 am »
Most of the time..it's nice to havesomeone to think with, it is.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Amber

• Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2006, 12:45:19 am »
I'm a on and off throughout the day girl.  Like everyone else though the smallest things can trigger a BBM moment for me.  Especially old trucks, for some reason - if I see an old, rugged, country truck BBM automatically pops into my head!
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2006, 02:25:13 am »
I love those old, rugged country trucks. Like the one Jack drives into Signal in.  I think that they've made BBM pop into my head for many years before BBM was even a movie (or even a story)!

Offline Midnight24

• Miss Princess
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2006, 03:11:24 am »
Especially old trucks, for some reason - if I see an old, rugged, country truck BBM automatically pops into my head!

I'm the same way. Any time I see a truck like that I immediately think of BBM.  :laugh:
~*One kiss...and bam...you're mine*~
Total and Complete Jake Lover!!!

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2006, 10:47:38 am »
My vote is true now, but not for just after I saw the movie or read the book.  I have thought less about the story or movie as I got farther away from reading or seeing it.  It was off and on throughout the day at first, but now it's just every few days.  I do like to come back to Better Most Forum though and spend time here with others who love the movie, etc.   I still do that.  I feel a need to and I enjoy it.

Rayn

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2006, 09:27:54 pm »
Almost constantly for me.  I still think of Brokeback all damn day and even wake up in the middle of the night thinking about our boys! ::)

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2006, 09:49:43 pm »
Often. Daily. Always. I find it hard to watch the movie all the way through so don't know how many times I've actually watched the whole thing. I've read the story, screenplay & the essays by the writers. David, I can play the movie in my head, too. I get the pictures AND the sound in my head which is pretty nice but mainly it's just scenes, not the whole movie. Even though I'm a visual person, the dialogue pops up more often than the pictures.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2006, 11:13:08 pm »
Often. Daily. Always. I find it hard to watch the movie all the way through so don't know how many times I've actually watched the whole thing. I've read the story, screenplay & the essays by the writers. David, I can play the movie in my head, too. I get the pictures AND the sound in my head which is pretty nice but mainly it's just scenes, not the whole movie. Even though I'm a visual person, the dialogue pops up more often than the pictures.

I am the other way around. The pictures pop into my mind more than the dialogue. Although I do have the entire movie memorized word for word.   :D

Almost constantly for me.  I still think of Brokeback all damn day and even wake up in the middle of the night thinking about our boys! ::)

Littlewing... I've said it before and I'll say it again: I sure am glad I'm not the only one who thinks about the boys nearly all the time.   :)

Offline JT

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2006, 02:42:52 pm »
I think about this movie on and off through out the day, but there are always things that triggers it.  Here is a small list of the things that triggers my thoughts:  cowboys, mountains, streams, horses, blue demin shirts, boots, ranches and barns, beans, fishing equipments, tents, trucks, camp fire, sheeps and cattles, the name "Jack", trailers, any of the actors faces or names.....I can give a whole page.

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2006, 03:02:20 pm »

I thought that by seeing the movie so many times I would grow weary of it.....it hasn't happened.  I think of it everyday.   I think the bus stop poster in my livingroom has something to do with that!

There were only two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawks back and crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below....they believed themselves invisible.   A. Proulx

Offline JT

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2006, 12:00:34 am »
I've always wanted a poster of BBM.  Anyone know where to get one?  I got posters of my other favorite movies (Star Wars and Lord of the Rings).

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2006, 11:51:11 am »
I've always wanted a poster of BBM.  Anyone know where to get one? 

JT, sometimes the movie theaters have them.  If you google the idea, maybe you'd come up with one online somewhere.  Try that.  Good luck.

Rayn

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2006, 02:09:14 pm »
JT, sometimes the movie theaters have them.  If you google the idea, maybe you'd come up with one online somewhere.  Try that.  Good luck.

Rayn

JT, Rayn has some excellent ideas. May I expand on Rayns suggestions?

You might also try Ebay. As you probably know, you can find nearly anything on ebay and other auction sites. Sometimes video stores will sell movie posters too. Occassionally I have seen some of our local Blockbusters here in Indianapolis selling movie posters (normally the posters are new and they are rolled up and placed in a box somewhere in the store). Even stores like Walmart, Target and Meijer's will sell movie posters from time to time. They often will mix movie posters in with the other posters. Normally the posters are located in or near the area where they sell their greeting cards and stationary.

You might also find various movie posters in novelty gift shops. Spencer's (a popular gift store here in Indy) often sells many different kinds of posters, and occasionally they will sell posters of popular movies  (I remember seeing the Titanic poster for sale at Spencer's). Most shopping malls have a Spencer's Gifts located in them.

Have you taken a look at amazon.com?  I'm not sure, but you might have some luck there too!  :)

Also, the Universal website might have the poster available for purchase.

If I have any other ideas, I will let you know.   :D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 02:15:44 pm by David925 »

Offline JT

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2006, 12:33:52 am »
Good suggestions, folks!  I'll look around.  One thing for sure, the wal-marts in Las Vegas do not carry BBM posters. 

mvansand76

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2006, 08:38:59 am »
Some days more than others... ::)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2006, 04:05:58 am »
Some days more than others... ::)

Well Melissa, you need to pop that DVD back in the machine and watch it again. You're quickly becoming "desensitized", honey.

We mustn't let this happen to you! Pop in the DVD and watch it right now!  :)

There will be a quiz about it tomorrow.  ;)

Offline JT

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2006, 12:24:04 pm »
I seen to think about it everyday, but somedays more that others also.  Can never get our boys off my mind either.  I don't think there will ever be a day when I don't think about BBM and our boys.  They are permanently engraved in my mind.

So what are the questions, David?  LOL

mvansand76

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2006, 07:44:44 am »
You're quickly becoming "desensitized", honey.

:o Oh no, don't let that happen to me!!! Pleaeaeaeaeassse.....

It's been three weeks now folks... My boyfriend has hidden the DVD for me... he's not very good at hiding things, though!

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2006, 04:22:28 am »
How often do I think about the movie now?  Not as much as I did after I first saw it, but more than any moive I have ever seen in the past, for sure.  I still come here to talk about it months after seeing it.    ;)

Rayn

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2007, 09:56:04 pm »
I wonder if old-timers around here (or long-term Brokies in general) might feel different about the answer to this question now?  For me, the shocking thing is that my answer is pretty much exactly the same as it was back a year ago.  I think about BBM once in a while throughout the day (and definitely everyday).  It continues to amaze me how much this movie, and now this community of Brokies too, have come to be part of my life.  The initial excitement of "Brokie-fever" is over, but my love and need for the film/story haven't gone away or dissipated at all.... just changed into something more comfortable and familiar... like basic parts of my life now.  Amazing.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2007, 10:34:40 pm »
My original answer was "almost constantly," which was true back then. Now it has become "on and off throughout the day" -- especially if I count thinking about this website and my relationships with people here as well as the movie itself.

Malina once wrote a really good post on imdb comparing Brokie fever to religion. She talked about how at first you're like a new convert, almost overwhelmed by it. That all-consuming passion eventually settles down, but it becomes an ingrained and permanent part of your outlook, changing you forever.

She put it better, but that was the general idea, and that seemed exactly right.  :)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2007, 09:15:01 pm »
Off and on throughout the day

Yep. I think about the movie, the characters, the book, the actors, or some aspect of Brokeback Mountain daily. I think it's ingrained now--which is a good thing.  :)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2007, 10:25:55 pm »
You know, I was thinking today at work that I actually sort of feel sorry for people who haven't had the Brokie experience.  I'm just so happy that this film/story and this community have become part of my life.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2007, 11:00:33 pm »
You know, I was thinking today at work that I actually sort of feel sorry for people who haven't had the Brokie experience.  I'm just so happy that this film/story and this community have become part of my life.

I know what you mean, Bud!

I really feel sorry for all those AFI voters. It's one thing to miss the BBM experience if you're not that into movies. But if you ARE, and you STILL don't get it?! Sad.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2007, 02:57:52 am »
I wonder if old-timers around here (or long-term Brokies in general) might feel different about the answer to this question now?  For me, the shocking thing is that my answer is pretty much exactly the same as it was back a year ago.  I think about BBM once in a while throughout the day (and definitely everyday).  It continues to amaze me how much this movie, and now this community of Brokies too, have come to be part of my life.  The initial excitement of "Brokie-fever" is over, but my love and need for the film/story haven't gone away or dissipated at all.... just changed into something more comfortable and familiar... like basic parts of my life now.  Amazing.

Hey Bud, good idea to bring this up a year later.
I have no idea why I didn't vote by then, but if I had, it would have been "almost constantly". The bad thing is, it's not much better now, one year later. I now voted "on and off throughout the day", which basically means it's not constantly on my mind anymore. But to be honest, it's still more on than off my mind. Our boys and their story are ingrained in me. Someone once wrote seeing the movie is like visiting old friends, but to me they feel more like family, Brokeback Mountain and BetterMost are part of my life.

Ennis and Jack are not anymore my first thought in the morning when I wake up, at least not every day. But there are still days when I wake up and know I must have dreamt about them, because they are already on my mind. It's more a feeling than a aware thought. They're just there. Does that sound creepy, more than one year later? I hope I'm not the only one.

And they're still often the last thought before I fall asleep. It's still my little private amusement to change things in my head, to alter scenes from the movie and give them the happy end they deserve. Kind of fan-fiction game.

One thing that astonishes me, is that the want/need to see the movie has kept the same frequency for more than a year now. I was never one who watched the movie daily or even three or four times a week. It has always been every few weeks, and it's still the same now. Meanwhile I think I've seen it maybe 17 times, something close to twenty. Plus a few times I only watched till they leave the mountain or stopped directly before the post-divorce scene (hit the stop button simultaneously with the judges hammer).

I think the fact that we're still here alone is evidence enought that it got us good  :). And no, I wouldn't want it any other way.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2007, 03:07:04 am »
Well said Chrissi!!!  :D

Thanks for that post!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2007, 10:30:02 am »

After I first saw the film in January 2006, I was pretty much in tears most of the time. That situation went on for months. I couldn't get Brokeback Mountain off my mind, and I liked it that way.

I read the short story, bought a copy of every book Annie Proulx ever wrote (still haven't read them all). Read the screenplay and essays. Bought the soundtrack and other spin-off recordings (e.g., a disco remake of The Wings). I read the short story many times, sometimes out loud, just so I could hear myself speaking the words. When doing so, I would have to stop often, because I was in floods of tears.

My work computer screensaver slide-show is packed with pics of mountains and flowery alpine meadows, whereas my home computer is full of pics of the film itself. I have BBM pics and the theatre poster on display in my home and visit BetterMost daily, often more than once. I visit BetterMost every evening, before going to bed, which is what I'm doing at this moment. I occasionally log on to BetterMost at work and find myself in tears whilst reading the posts and fanfic. On more than one occasion I've had to lie that I'm suffering from hayfever to a work colleague who has caught me crying.

My lover is a very Ennis-like character who lives a seven hour drive north of Sydney (where I live), in a beautiful seaside village. I always imagine myself to be Jack, when I'm in my car, driving up the coast to visit him.

I have two BBM photos here on my desk and I'm looking at them as I write this - one is of the dozy embrace and the other is a pic of Ennis on horseback.

I will be retiring next year and fantasize about retiring to the country, where I will purchase acreage and have a little homestead built, which I will name "Cherry Cake Cottage." Part of my retirement plans also involve fantasizing about buying two little Pomeranians - a black one which I will name Jack and a ginger one which I will name Ennis.

Did I answer the question?!  ???    :-\    ;)    :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline opinionista

« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2007, 10:36:16 am »
I used to think constantly of the movie, but now I no longer do. Sorry if I offend some of you. It seems like I have moved on.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2007, 01:56:55 pm »
Well said Chrissi!!!  :D

Thanks for that post!

Thank you David.

I love your new avatar  :).  Don't deprive us from the bigger version of it, post it on your blog, babe  ;D  ;)

Dagi

« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2007, 06:21:59 pm »
OR  ... you can post it right here!!!

Susie

YES, PLEASE!!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2007, 09:58:41 pm »

Ennis and Jack are not anymore my first thought in the morning when I wake up, at least not every day. But there are still days when I wake up and know I must have dreamt about them, because they are already on my mind. It's more a feeling than a aware thought. They're just there. Does that sound creepy, more than one year later? I hope I'm not the only one.

No, I don't think it sounds creepy at all.  I'm sure lots of us can relate to this.

I have a related question to the topic of dreams and being a Brokie.  Does anyone ever have dreams about being on the boards?  I'll admit that I often find myself having dreams about surfing around BetterMost or posting, etc. 
 ::) 8)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2007, 11:45:33 pm »
I have a related question to the topic of dreams and being a Brokie.  Does anyone ever have dreams about being on the boards?  I'll admit that I often find myself having dreams about surfing around BetterMost or posting, etc.

Yes! Not so much as I did when I first came here, though. I think it's become more ingrained in my identity -- it's just part of who I am, so I don't specifically dream about it.

I do sometimes dream about friends I have here. And I dreamed about Heath the other night. Not in an X-rated way, unfortunately, but it was perfectly nice!  :D

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2007, 01:57:29 am »
I will be retiring next year and fantasize about retiring to the country, where I will purchase acreage and have a little homestead built, which I will name "Cherry Cake Cottage." Part of my retirement plans also involve fantasizing about buying two little Pomeranians - a black one which I will name Jack and a ginger one which I will name Ennis.

That is so cool--I hope you do get to do that when you retire. Pommies have the sweetest personality--the ones I've known do, at least.

Kerry--I enjoyed reading your whole post. That's amazing. Brokeback Fever for sure!! :)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2007, 02:36:06 am »
That is so cool--I hope you do get to do that when you retire. Pommies have the sweetest personality--the ones I've known do, at least.

Kerry--I enjoyed reading your whole post. That's amazing. Brokeback Fever for sure!! :)

I'm a sad case!   ;)   :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Artiste

« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2008, 03:06:07 pm »
Every day!!

Why??

Hugs!!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2008, 12:05:23 am »
Its been two years now, and lot of people are moving on. After I go to some other political and sci-fi web sites I usually come to Bettermost, 3 or 4 times a week. But the intensity of my interest in Brokeback Mountain has lessened.

I look forward to a release at some date in the future of a new DVD that has a director's and screenwriter's commentary track. I really would like to hear Ang Lee and others opine about the film. I am puzzled that it is taking so long to get a commentary track released.

any thoughts or grapevine info about when a commentary track will be released?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2008, 12:19:22 pm »
Everyday, for months, more than a year now!!

Almost constantly at times, some time in my bed (of all places!!)

Hugs!!