Author Topic: Indianapolis Colts  (Read 31653 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Indianapolis Colts
« on: October 31, 2007, 11:16:39 pm »
The Clash of the Titans

The Indy Colts are cool and calm; or at least they claim to be, as the city of Indianapolis nervously awaits Sunday's big game against the New England Patriots.

From WTHR Channel 13 Website:

October 31, 2007

Indianapolis - Just nine weeks into the season, it's rare to see a game getting so much hype. Reporters and photographers jammed into the press room at the Super Bowl champions' practice facility.

"We got a little more media than usual, but it's a good thing. I think the town is really ready for it. They're excited about it. Like I said before, it's just a normal week," said Bob Sanders, Colts safety.

Peyton Manning during Wednesday's Press Conference

"The fact that both teams are undefeated it's going to be a great matchup for the fans.  It's the type of game you want to play in, it's exciting.  But for us your trying to win the game because you want to stay ahead of the pack," said Peyton Manning, QB.

The teams are meeting for the eighth time in five seasons.  They're familiar with each other, but some players say there's nothing friendly about this rivalry.

"We don't like them. I'm sure they don't like us.  And it always comes to both of us usually at the end of the season one of us beating each other to get the top of the AFC. So we want to get this win, it's important," said Raheem Brock, Colts defensive tackle.

The Colts are downplaying how big this game is.
Coach Dungy was asked why the media wasn't being allowed at practice if it was "just another game."

"We're going to the wishbone and we didn't want anyone to know. Now that the secret is out
maybe we will open it back up.  No, we're changing everything around, we're coming out with some new stuff and we didn't want anyone to know," said Dungy.

Good answer coach.  And he believes he'll have answer on how to slow down the Patriots.

The Colts have won a franchise-record 12 straight home games and are off to the third-best start of any defending Super Bowl champion, but the oddsmakers are installing New England as a 4.5-point favorite.

New England is 8-0 and has beaten all opponents by at least 17 points.  Only two opponents have topped 20 points. Indianapolis is off to another 7-0 start and already has three road wins against division opponents. The Colts lead the league in rushing touchdowns and have allowed fewer points per game than New England.

Manning seemed unfazed by all the hype Wednesday, but he did acknowledge the task ahead.

"I hardly ever really know what the point spread is or who's favored. I know it's an old boring cliche, but I really think in the NFL today, anybody can beat anybody on any given day," Manning said.

While Manning says he's never surprised by who's beating who, he is impressed with New England.

"Certainly these guys are playing great. They've beaten the teams that they've played. They'be beaten them badly. What they're doing a great job of is exploiting your mistakes. You make mistakes, they definitely take advantage of it. So it's important hopefully for us - I mean, you certainly wanna try to play mistake-free football every single game but to try - I don't know if it's possible or not, but certainly try to minimize our mistakes."

The Pats' offense is getting plenty of attention, especially after last weekends 52-7 blowout of the Redskins. But Manning says the Patriots' defense is also impressive. "One of the big reasons their offense is scoring a lot of points is that their defense is making a lot of turnovers and getting them some short fields. That's what you're always looking for in your defense."

"It'll be a real test of our offense to try to get the running game and passing game going 'cause they're stingy with both. They're ranked high statistically both with the running game and passing game. It'll be a tough test for us."

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
Re: Indianapolis Colts
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 09:59:31 pm »
Well, we are less than 24 hours away from the big game tomorrow. I don't know if I will watch it or not. I don't know if my nerves can take it. Maybe if I pop a xanax an hour before. I have a terrible feeling we will lose the game tomorrow. Not that it will really matter that much. It's just a regular season game. But somebody will be placing a 1 in their stats tomorrow. Currently, Indianapolis is 7-0 and New England is 8-0.

But even the point spread is favoring New England by 4. If you want to find out who will be rooting for who during tomorrow's game, you only need to consult a map. Everyone north of Indiana will be cheering for New England. Everyone south of Indiana will be cheering for New England. Everyone east of Indiana will be cheering for New England. Everyone west of Indiana will be cheering for New England. And somewhere in between all of this you will find the Colts fans. Colts fans are generally only found in a little place called Indiana (with the exception of displaced Hoosiers in other parts of the country). But Colts fans are die hard, and they bleed blue just before every game.

So tomorrow, we will probably lose the game, and few will even notice us with all the pomp and majesty of the Patriots. But one thing is for certain, we will be cheering our hearts out for our beloved Colts- even if you can't hear us. :)

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 11:01:14 pm »
Nope, not so David, I'm rooting for the Colts, Bob is rooting for the Colts, my brother Ted is rooting for the Colts, Victoria and her whole family are Colts fans.... there are a few of us out here.  The only day we aren't Colts fans is when they face off with the Chargers  ;)  I don't know which game will get on nerves more tomorrow San Diego vs Minnesota or the Colts vs New England.   Either way I'm gonna be bouncing on the couch like Tigger !
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 12:23:45 am »
Nope, not so David, I'm rooting for the Colts, Bob is rooting for the Colts, my brother Ted is rooting for the Colts, Victoria and her whole family are Colts fans.... there are a few of us out here.  The only day we aren't Colts fans is when they face off with the Chargers  ;)  I don't know which game will get on nerves more tomorrow San Diego vs Minnesota or the Colts vs New England.   Either way I'm gonna be bouncing on the couch like Tigger !

Aww! Thanks Dottie! I think we're gonna need all the help and cheering we can get tomorrow!  :D

By the way, the Chargers/Colts game is next Sunday (November 11th) in San Diego. Ugh. I'm not looking forward to that game either!  :-\

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 12:29:40 am »
And as far as the Chargers/Vikings game tomorrow, you guys are gonna win that one hands down. San Diego is favored by 7 points!  :D

And tomorrow I will be a Chargers fan too!  :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
They're picking on us again!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 03:52:36 pm »
From the AOL website:

>:(  >:(  >:(  >:(

Epic Clash Not What It Seems

It's easy to paint the Patriots as the NFL's own Evil Empire - an unstoppable juggernaut that runs up the score and (possibly) cheats while laying waste to the league. It's also easy to view the Colts as an honorable bunch who stand as a gleaming example of what a true champion should be.

Yes, it's easy to call the Patriots evil and the Colts good. Too easy, in fact. An argument can be made that New England is a model of excellence for all to admire, while Indy's virtuous veneer covers up a tainted organization that deserves our scorn. The Pats are the good guys and the Colts are the villains in their eagerly anticipated showdown on Sunday. Find out why as we preview the game of the year.

How They Match Up

Offense: All eyes will be on the quarterbacks, and with good reason. New England's Tom Brady and Indianapolis' Peyton Manning are both sure-fire Hall of Famers who are in the midst of excellent seasons. Brady is on pace for the greatest season ever for a QB. At his current rate, he will finish with 60 touchdowns, only four interceptions and nearly 5,000 passing yards. Manning's numbers are not as glossy as usual, but he's still on track for his fourth straight year with a passer rating of over 100. Both teams rank in the top 10 in the league in rushing yards. One big factor could be the health of Marvin Harrison. The Colts' All-Pro receiver has been hobbled by a knee injury and is struggling through a subpar season. Edge: Patriots. It's hard to go against a unit that looks like it will go down as the best ever.

Defense: It's no big surprise to see the Pats with one of the top defenses in the league. But who could have predicted that the Colts would be right behind them in the rankings? Indy is fourth in total defense thanks in large part to a passing defense that has allowed only 165.4 yards per game. Still, the Colts have not played a team that can air it out quite like the Patriots. New England is not only stingy when it comes to allowing yards, it also is adept at forcing turnovers, with a total of 18 already. One potential weakness, however, is in run defense. Opponents are averaging 4.2 yards per carry against the Pats. Edge: Patriots. It's a close call, but New England has played slightly better against stronger competition this year.

Coaching: Bill Belichick deserves condemnation for the videotape controversy and for his overall surliness. But he should also be hailed for his amazing coaching job this season. The Patriots came into the year as the favorite of most experts to win the Super Bowl and have proceeded to exceed everyone's expectations with their historic domination. Partly because of the controversial Belichick and his amazing team, Tony Dungy once again is not getting the recognition he deserves. The Colts' quiet leader has been one of the finest coaches in recent history, but he repeatedly gets overlooked, perhaps due in part to his unassuming demeanor. The work that Dungy and his defensive coaches have done to revive that unit recently has been especially impressive. Edge: Patriots. The chip that Belichick has carried on his shoulder has never been bigger. He seems to be on a mission to not just win but crush his foes. Belichick will have his team well prepared for this showdown.

Who Will Win?
Patriots -5 1/2 at Colts

Tom Brady vs. Peyton Manning. Bill Belichick vs. Tony Dungy. Clam chowder vs. ... whatever food item Indianapolis is known for. The mega-matchup between the NFL's two unbeaten titans is much more than just a fascinating treat for pigskin lovers - it also could ultimately decide which club gets home-field advantage in the AFC playoffs.

The pick: Patriots. At this point, the Colts are the only legitimate threat to the Patriots. And New England still figures to wipe the RCA Dome turf with them. Indy has looked real good this season, but the Pats have looked historic.

Fantasy Advice

Regardless of how intimidating both defenses have been this season, you always start your "stud" players. But there are two players that aren't on the usual list of must-starts who should also come up big for fantasy squads in this game -- Patriots receiver Wes Welker and Colts tight end Dallas Clark. With both defenses likely keying in on the primary weapons, Welker and Clark should find plenty of open room down the seams to rack up their stats.

The two players to contemplate benching in this game? That would be Pats receiver Donte' Stallworth and running back Laurence Maroney. Both players are too inconsistent to rely on. Stallworth has been an up-and-down option all season, and Maroney is still working his way back into action after his injury. Also keep an eye on the injury status of Marvin Harrison. He's a game-time decision this week and the safe bet is to keep him benched until you hear the latest updates.

Finally, if you're desperate for a running back and looking for a last-minute option, take a chance on Pats rusher Kevin Faulk. Even with Laurence Maroney back in the lineup last week, the versatile Faulk had seven catches for 57 yards to go along with 32 rushing yards. Brady could rely heavily on Faulk as a check-down option if the going gets tough.

Offline dot-matrix

Re: They're picking on us again!
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 05:43:07 pm »
From the AOL website:

>:(  >:(  >:(  >:(

Epic Clash Not What It Seems

Somebody smack that guy! He is obviously biased 

and   Chargers LOST 35 to 17

Come on Peyton!!! You can do it BABY!!!

Go COLTS !

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 08:27:38 pm »
SHIT!!!

>:-(

We lost!

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

The final score was 24-20, and New England beat us. Oh well. I knew they would.

And I also knew I would love watching all that cute ass out there...... and I did!!  :D

injest

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 08:34:17 pm »
so it wasn't a COMPLETELY wasted afternoon?

;) :-*

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 08:35:48 pm »
I am not going to gloat or anything but guess what....

the Patriots won! Yahoo!

New England 9-0

Indianapolis 7-1

oooooohhhhhh.......

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 11:44:56 pm »
Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn!Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn!Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn!Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn!Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn!Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn!Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn!Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn!Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn!Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn!Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn!Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn!Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn!Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn!Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn!Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn!Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn!Damn!Damn!

and things started out so well too!

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 04:36:37 am »
Peyton Manning and Tom Brady meeting on the field to shake hands after the game

:'(

:-\

;)

It was a G*R*E*A*T game though  ;)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 04:46:20 am »
Peyton Manning and Tom Brady meeting on the field to shake hands after the game

:-\

;)

It was a G*R*E*A*T game though  ;)

It was a good game Dottie! Thanks for rooting for Indianapolis! We appreciate it.

God. Tom Brady is SOOOOO CUTE!! I can't help it. The man is gorgeous. I've always thought so. I couldn't take my eyes off of him.  :laugh:  :laugh:

WHOOO LORDY!!!  :D :D :D

Peyton is cute too btw....  ;)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 09:36:45 am »
Good morning, sports fans!  Sorry, David and Dottie.  Cowboy Tom just wanted to say hi:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 10:06:17 am »
I know I shouldn't moralize, but for some reason I'm finding that I'm liking Tom Brady less and less--for dumping a pregnant girlfriend--and liking Peyton Manning more and more because I'm assuming those TV commercials he's doing these days indicate a sense of humor about himself.  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 12:08:29 pm »
I know I shouldn't moralize, but for some reason I'm finding that I'm liking Tom Brady less and less--for dumping a pregnant girlfriend--and liking Peyton Manning more and more because I'm assuming those TV commercials he's doing these days indicate a sense of humor about himself.  ???

You are not alone Jeff!  I feel the same way... my feeling about Tom just haven't been the same since the pregnant girlfriend incident... and Peyton is always so damn cute in those commercials and so damn sincere!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 12:27:34 pm »
You are not alone Jeff!  I feel the same way... my feeling about Tom just haven't been the same since the pregnant girlfriend incident... and Peyton is always so damn cute in those commercials and so damn sincere!

I admire a man who is comfortable enough in his own skin that he can allow himself to look a little silly. That's the impression I have of Peyton Manning.

Tom Brady is still hot, but sometimes, "Handsome is as handsome does."
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 12:28:59 pm »
Oh, I always think of Forest Gump when I see Peyton Manning.   ;D  He's got a big grin, down home attitude.  His commercials are quite funny.  

Yep, Tom Brady is a cutey, but flying out to L.A. for your baby's delivery and then flying right back to Boston afterwards to be with your new girlfriend just seemed so classless. Couldn't he have stayed in L.A. longer to be with his newborn.  It's like he didn't want to be bothered but he new it would be terrible P.R. to be a no show.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2007, 01:09:33 pm »
Yep, Tom Brady is a cutey, but flying out to L.A. for your baby's delivery and then flying right back to Boston afterwards to be with your new girlfriend just seemed so classless. Couldn't he have stayed in L.A. longer to be with his newborn.  It's like he didn't want to be bothered but he new it would be terrible P.R. to be a no show.

Tacky. Really tacky.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2007, 02:04:37 pm »

Sorry David, they came very close... ???

Beautiful mind

Offline Longhorn32

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2007, 02:12:32 pm »
yes. Boo Tom Brady. Yay Peyton Manning. As one of the Colts said, "We'll see them again."
...it is life, more than death, that is without limits.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2007, 08:11:45 pm »
Yes, Peyton Manning is a nice guy. I've never met him, but I know some people who have. He is genuinely friendly and he has done A LOT for the city of Indianapolis. He's always participating in community activities and charitable events. I think he truly cares about other people very much. :D

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2007, 09:28:36 pm »
The article in our local news about the game made mention of all Peyton's charitable work.  It says he visits a lot of the schools every year too, talks to the kids about the importance of education and avoiding drugs and such.  They also talked about how freaking intelligent he is.  He has a VERY high IQ... no dumb jock here.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2007, 01:23:55 am »
From the WISH TV News 8 website:

CBS Takes Responsibility For Audio Incident During Colts-Pats Game

INDIANAPOLIS - The Patriots are calling foul against the Colts one day after defeating the blue and white at the RCA Dome. But CBS, the network that broadcast the game, is taking responsibility for the audio incident in question.

The Patriots claimed the Colts were blasting artificial crowd noise through the dome speakers during the game, which is against NFL rules. New England says during Sunday's game you could hear a skip that proves the crowd noise wasn't real.

The play in question occurs when New England has the ball for the first play of the 4th quarter. But if you watch the play from the 24-Hour News 8 cameras rolling at the same time the problem isn't there. And if you listened on the Colts radio broadcast it wasn't there either.

The Colts would not talk about the allegations on camera.

Instead they issued this statement: "CBS has informed us that the unusual audio moment heard by fans during the Patriots-Colts game was the result of tape feedback in the CBS production truck and was isolated to the CBS broadcast. It was in no way related to any sound within the stadium and could not be heard in the stadium."

The Colts go on to say, "We trust this will put an end to the ridiculous and unfounded accusations that the Colts artificially enhanced crowd noise at the RCA Dome in any way."

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2007, 02:20:46 am »
Well the Pat's have got to do something to draw attention away for the fact that they got caught pulling their electronic hyjinx last month.  Shifting the attention is an old bait and switch gambit.  Just one more classless act in a lengthening string of them.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2007, 09:41:52 am »
Well the Pat's have got to do something to draw attention away for the fact that they got caught pulling their electronic hyjinx last month.  Shifting the attention is an old bait and switch gambit.  Just one more classless act in a lengthening string of them.

Geez, they won the effen game. I've heard of bein' a sore loser, but a sore winner?

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2007, 04:35:12 pm »
Sorry the Colts lost David. I was pulling for them.

Jack

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2007, 09:07:18 pm »
Sorry the Colts lost David. I was pulling for them.

Jack

Aww thank you Jack! We appreciate it! Maybe next time, huh? :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2007, 04:08:06 am »
Indianapolis plays the Chargers this Sunday in San Diego. Indianapolis is favored by three points. Somehow I don't think so. The game will be played on San Diego turf, and I really do think the Chargers learned their lesson last week against Minnesota. I don't think they will let this happen again. I think Indianapolis will lose this game.

San Diego wins 24-21. I think this will be the final score.  :P

And Indianapolis will be 7-2 for the season so far.  >:(

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2007, 02:33:29 pm »
I think I am falling in love with Peyton Manning.  :(  ;D

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2007, 07:44:11 pm »

I've been enamoured with Peyton for a few years now  ::) whenever one his commercials comes on Bob yells "Honey your boyfriends on TV! "
 :laugh:

This game with the Chargers is going to kill me, my loyalities are so divided ::sigh::

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2007, 07:56:18 pm »
I've been enamoured with Peyton for a few years now  ::) whenever one his commercials comes on Bob yells "Honey your boyfriends on TV! "
 :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2007, 08:28:31 pm »

Peyton is very sweet and lovable Jeff. No doubt about it! :)

This game with the Chargers is going to kill me, my loyalities are so divided ::sigh::

Dottie, I must admit since I've known you I've been paying much more attention to the Chargers, and I've become quite a fan. So, like you, I'm feeling a bit divided about this game. If I HAD to choose, I would pick Indianapolis I guess, but I think this will be one of those games where I will be happy no matter who wins, because I like both teams so much. :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2007, 01:25:53 am »
Well, we lost again.

Way to go IndianapolASS. They played like a bunch of blithering assholes.  >:(

Stupid idiots. They deserved to lose. At least the loss was against San Diego. I like the Chargers, so I'm not TOO upset about this. It could have been a lot worse I guess.

Final score: San Diego Chargers 23  Indianapolass Dolts 21

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2007, 02:05:19 am »
Well it was a difficult game.  They had to deal with a heavy steady rain for the whole game.  Peyton broke his own interception record  :-\ 6 turn overs!  5 in the first half alone.  That hurt and they sacked him half dozen times.   But you have to admit it was exciting in the second half,  Indie almost took it back and would have if Adam Vinatieri hadn't missed the easiest 29 yard field goal of his career.  The Chargers led 23-7 going into the fourth quarter even though their offense was as waterlogged as the field.  Had Vinatieri's kick gone through, it would have been the 29th time that Manning rallied the Colts from either a fourth-quarter deficit or tie to win.

All said I'm glad my Chargers held on and won but Peyton was amazing considering what he had to work with, his offensive line was comprized almost entirely of second string players and rookies.  At least Peyton completed 34 of a career-high 56 attempts for 328 yards. Philip Rivers  on the other hand was HORRIBLE, going 13-of-24 for 104 yards and no touchdowns, with two pickoffs. Thank god for specials teams or Peyton and the Colts would have stopped San Diego into the mud at the Murph.

But you know what, when it was all over there were some sad smiles and pats on the back on the field from both sides.  No sore losers here and no gloating victors either, just a bunch of really classy guys bringing a little honor back to the game.  Just my 2 cents

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2008, 01:46:48 am »
It's all over for us! At least for this year. San Diego clobbered the crap out of us last Sunday... in our own house!!

And to top it off, Sunday's game was the very last to be played in our beloved RCA Dome. Next year Indianapolis will christen a new stadium - "Lucas Oil".

Congratulations San Diego! I will be rooting for the Chargers next week when they play New England... I THINK they will be playing New England. And Lord knows they will need all the cheering they can get. New England is very good. Too good in fact.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2008, 04:11:15 am »
They are pissing it away, fast and quick.....

From the IndyStar.com:

Now or never for the Colts

It's unfamiliar ground for these Colts. Not even halfway into the season, they face a three-game stretch that could virtually end their playoff hopes. Experts say a turnaround won't be easy.

At 3-3 and facing a game at undefeated Tennessee on ESPN's "Monday Night Football," followed by New England and Pittsburgh, the Indianapolis Colts are a team on the precipice. Lose Monday, and coach Tony Dungy said the Colts' hopes of a sixth consecutive AFC South title vanish.

His players have heard him.

"We've just got to win. That's a given," cornerback Marlin Jackson said. "We've got to win this game. It's just plain and simple."

The Colts are up against it. Lose Monday, and they're 3-4. They would need a 7-2 finish to reach 10-6, a nice number but nothing more.

"Going 10-6 doesn't guarantee a playoff spot," linebacker Gary Brackett offered. "The only thing that can guarantee us a playoff spot is winning our division."

Since divisional realignment and the current playoff system were adopted in 2002, only two AFC teams have made the playoffs with 9-7 records: Cleveland in 2002 and Kansas City in 2006. Three have gone 10-6 and been left home: Miami in 2003, Kansas City in 2005 and Cleveland last season.

Tennessee (6-0) is playing the NFL's best football. New England (4-2) visits Lucas Oil Stadium the following Sunday. There's a trip to Pittsburgh (5-1) the week after, and the Colts have yet to beat a team with a winning record.

"We're 3-3," Dungy said. "We're a team that wins one, loses one, plays well part of the time, not well part of the time.

"We have the makings of a good team. We have enough individual components to be very good, but right now we're not clicking on all cylinders."

It's early, but time for sputtering has grown short.

The Colts have been musing on their inconsistencies and potential remedies for seven weeks. Time for an informed outside perspective. Phil Simms, CBS television's lead NFL analyst, covered the Colts' last two games, vs. Baltimore and at Green Bay, which showed the team at its best and worst this season. ESPN's Ron Jaworski has the Colts next week, on "Monday Night Football," and has reviewed tape of all of their games.

Some of their observations:

Simms said it takes a very good team to win three or four consecutive games. The Colts have won six or more in succession five times over the past four seasons. Their longest streak this year is two. It's not reasonable, said both analysts, to expect dominance season after season.

Simms: "You've designed a way to run the franchise and the team and it works unbelievable well. Some day it's going to change. Don't we all know that? It hasn't rained in 100 days. Well some day it's going to rain. I don't know when, but by God, some day it's going to rain.

"I think what maybe caught me off guard in Green Bay were the penalties. The penalties were alarming and maybe the biggest thing was the Packers, to my eye, looked faster. That's what would worry me if I was a Colts fan."

Jaworski: "I'm not surprised. They've played at such a high level for such a long time. There always is an ebb and a flow for an organization over a period of time."

Undefeated Tennessee will be playing its first Monday night game in four years, against the team toward whom it has been pointing all season. Tough game. Tough situation. The Colts' season could cave in.

Jaworski: "I think this is almost their season. Monday night is huge. I know it's early in the season and we sometimes put too much importance on games in the middle of the season, but I think when a team is really searching for their identity, which the Colts are right now, they've really got to get a win.

"They go to 3-4 and Tennessee jumps out by four games and the tiebreaker, you don't even think about division anymore. You're thinking about, 'Man, how do we squeeze into the playoffs and be playing well at the end?' "

Simms: "The Colts are on the road for the second week. Tennessee played probably a pretty unemotional game in Baltimore, week off, then Kansas City, where they didn't spend a lot of emotion, either. Now they've got Monday night. That whole bag's full and it's all coming out."

Jaworski holds that injuries to Pro Bowl center Jeff Saturday, left tackle Tony Ugoh, left guard Ryan Lilja and swingman Dan Federkeil and the need to go with rookies Jamey Richard and Mike Pollak as starters has disrupted more than the efficiency of the offensive line. It has affected the entire offense, the entire team.

Jaworski: "The one thing their offense has been devoid of this year is the play-action big play. (Quarterback) Peyton Manning, who's going to go down as one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time, I'm seeing the cumulative effect of all the hits he's been taking. He's always played at a little frenetical pace, but I see him getting rid of the ball a little bit quicker, maybe not as patient waiting for it to happen downfield.

"The big plays are there, but the time isn't there to get the ball down the field because when you're throwing post patterns and deep crosses, you're going to need 3-plus seconds. He's not getting that type of time."

The scarcity of big plays has contributed to the Colts' 21.3 scoring average, more than a touchdown off any of the past five years. The way the Colts are constructed, Jaworski said, requires the Colts defense to play from ahead.

Jaworski: "It's always been that way. The Super Bowl year, down the stretch, the defense really played well and in the playoffs was absolutely fantastic, but this is a defense that needs points at their back. They need to play with the lead."

Simms knows that in terms of the AFC South, in terms of securing a playoff spot, it's late. But the Colts have played only six games, he stressed. It's too early to say where the season, much less the franchise, is headed. One thing that doesn't concern him is the notion that, in his seventh season, coach Tony Dungy has lost his team, that his players have quit hearing him.

Simms: "That never crossed my mind. I think there's a big enough turnover with the team and I look at the stars, Peyton Manning, Dwight Freeney, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne and Bob Sanders, I can't imagine they've lost any of their will to get it done. When (Dungy) has that group behind him, the team's going to listen because those guys are going to listen and lead the way. The rest are just going to follow."

The next three weeks will do a lot to determine where.

Then again, here's why you don't want to start 3-4
Of the 168 teams to reach the conference finals in the Super Bowl era, only seven started the season 3-4. And only one of those lost its next game: the 1996 Jaguars, who actually lost their next two and three of four to start 4-7, and still somehow found their way to the AFC title game.

Moral of the story, that anomaly aside? If you start 3-4, you had better start winning in a hurry.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081024/SPORTS03/810240392

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2008, 08:54:45 am »
And isn't Eli Manning having a good year?  I would not have thought he had so much talent from what I saw of him at Ole Miss (in comparison to Peyton's UT years).  Glad he's coming into his own.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2008, 02:22:50 am »
And isn't Eli Manning having a good year?  I would not have thought he had so much talent from what I saw of him at Ole Miss (in comparison to Peyton's UT years).  Glad he's coming into his own.

Eli Manning is da BOMB!!! I love him. He's so cute! He and his brother have a commercial playing here for hh Gregg. They are selling televisions and arguing about something. The commercial is as weird as hell, but it's kind of cute too. Peyton is still kind of cute in a way, but Eli is cuter in my book. Tom Brady. Now that boy is CUTE! I wish he wasn't injured. He's the sexiest quarterback in the NFL. At least I think so. :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2008, 02:25:42 am »
The Indy Colts won their game against Pittsburgh today. I forget the score. It wasn't all that impressive. Anyway, it's a little too late. The Colts have already blown their chance to make it into the playoffs this year. Dad said they could still be seeded if they are lucky. But I don't think so. I hope they don't lose their ambition though. I hope they still try to win games even though their shot at the Super bowl is in the toilet. >:(