Author Topic: Was Jack Twist an Adopted Child?  (Read 9363 times)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
Was Jack Twist an Adopted Child?
« on: November 04, 2007, 05:11:38 pm »
It's just speculation on my part but, I wonder if Jack Twist was adopted as a baby by Mr. and Mrs. John Twist? Jack never mentioned this in the dialog, but there is something about the tale of his younger life that makes me wonder if he was adopted. Perhaps the "uncle" Aguirre mentioned who had pneumonia is his biological father? Pure speculation on my part.
Note the scene in the Twist kitchen when Ennis comes to ask about the disposition of Jack's ashes. "He (Ennis) couldn't see much of Jack in either of them...." Maybe something,that for country ranch people of that time, happened that was "shameful" and Jack was the product. The baby Jack ended up with the Twists. That could partially explain why OMT never warmed to his son, "He kept his secrets to himself. Never taught me a thing. Never once come and see me ride." OMT may have been compelled out of some obligation to adopt and raise Jack. But not being his biological father may have resented him in his house.  any thoughts or observations on my speculation?

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
Re: Was Jack Twist an Adopted Child?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 05:52:02 pm »
The thought of Jack being adopted never occured to me but now that you mention it, maybe. Perhaps the Twist's could not have children so they adopted Jack. Also from what I remember families were a little bigger, 3 to 4 children on the average way back. The Twists being barren or at least OMT shooting blanks would explain why Jack was an only child and perhaps adopted.

TampaTalon ^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 09:51:44 pm »
The thought of Jack being adopted never occured to me but now that you mention it, maybe. Perhaps the Twist's could not have children so they adopted Jack. Also from what I remember families were a little bigger, 3 to 4 children on the average way back. The Twists being barren or at least OMT shooting blanks would explain why Jack was an only child and perhaps adopted.

TampaTalon ^">
Great point about the "Stud Duck" shooting blanks! I had to chuckle. Another thought occured to me that reinforces the "Adoption" angle for Jack. If Jack was adopted and not raised by his biological parents, then that is another bond of sorts with Ennis. Ennis's parents were killed when he was a child. Ennis wore his losses and his fears of future losses ON HIS SLEEVE! Perhaps Jack subconsiously identified with Ennis's consious sense of loss and alienation. Perhaps that is one of the reasons why the boys bonded so well ,and their "one shot thing" turned into much more than quickies in the woods. Just another speculative thought.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 10:23:32 pm »
I remembered something else that points as a clue towards Jacks's origins as an adoptee. In the short story it is mentioned that Jack was circumsized, his father was not. Little boys usually are circumsized if the father is, uncircumsized if the father is not. Family traditions, religious or cultural traditions, etc.

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 02:38:08 am »
I remembered something else that points as a clue towards Jacks's origins as an adoptee. In the short story it is mentioned that Jack was circumsized, his father was not. Little boys usually are circumsized if the father is, uncircumsized if the father is not. Family traditions, religious or cultural traditions, etc.

Sounds reasonable. Its most likely that Jack would have been born on the Twist Ranch if he was not adopted and fer sure OMT would not part with the bucks to have someone come way out to dick-clip Jack. Following that reasoning Jack might have been born in a "big city" like Riverton and where he was clipped prior to adoption. One line does come to my mind which leads me to believe he was adopted and thus OMT resentment of Jack. "He thought he was too goddam special to be buried in the family plot". Maybe it was not his real family plot.

TampaTalon ^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 06:57:39 am »
Perhaps Jack subconsiously identified with Ennis's consious sense of loss and alienation. Perhaps that is one of the reasons why the boys bonded so well ,

I'm sure you're right on spot with the quoted part. Both had horrible fathers; no support, love or emphathy to be found there. Somehow they were both "lost" children and their upbringing was similar (as Annie stated at the beginning of the story) and similar awful.

But this is true independently from your adoption speculation. Therefore it neither supports nor questions your theory.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 03:52:44 pm »
Sounds reasonable. Its most likely that Jack would have been born on the Twist Ranch if he was not adopted and fer sure OMT would not part with the bucks to have someone come way out to dick-clip Jack. Following that reasoning Jack might have been born in a "big city" like Riverton and where he was clipped prior to adoption. One line does come to my mind which leads me to believe he was adopted and thus OMT resentment of Jack. "He thought he was too goddam special to be buried in the family plot". Maybe it was not his real family plot.

TampaTalon ^">

good point, there seems a bit of evidence that Jack may have been adopted. I'm now fairly sure that he was, and that explains a great deal about him in my mind.
I wonder what AP would have to say about this?

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 05:30:35 pm »

I hate to make this a diasagreement, but....there is not one little word in there about
any adoption.  If she wanted him adopted I would think she would have said so...He was a
child mistreated by his own biological father..There is no real reason for it to happen..It doesnt
need any reason, but the usual reason is because the parent was also mistreated, and therefor
acts out accordingly...I have personal experience in this regard...My own father was very mistreated
as a youngster.  Then he proceeded to do the same..

Beautiful mind

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 10:56:52 am »

I hate to make this a diasagreement, but....there is not one little word in there about
any adoption.  If she wanted him adopted I would think she would have said so...He was a
child mistreated by his own biological father..There is no real reason for it to happen..It doesnt
need any reason, but the usual reason is because the parent was also mistreated, and therefor
acts out accordingly...I have personal experience in this regard...My own father was very mistreated
as a youngster.  Then he proceeded to do the same..
It is one of the horrible facts about abuse that it can be transferred from one generation to the next. I most definitely agree with you that AP said nothing directly or clearly about whether OMT and the Mrs. adopted Jack, that why its just a hunch on my part. But then there is quite a bit that is suggested or even subliminal at many different levels not only in "Brokeback Mountain" but also in her other stories. I've become a big AP fan, I love reading her terse no nonsense prose. I know that for me, the more often I read her short story, and see Ang Lee's movie, the more details I see.

Offline RossInIllinois

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 05:51:21 am »
No Jack Twist was not adopted. I never heard this discussed on set at all. I thinl Annie would have elaborated the fact in the short.