Author Topic: Was Jack Twist an Adopted Child?  (Read 9368 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Was Jack Twist an Adopted Child?
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 07:32:10 pm »
It could be that Jack was an adopted child!

And that is why the father hesitated to place Jack's in their area (tombstone)?

But why accept his funeral then?

Hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 10:35:27 am »
It could be that Jack was an adopted child!

And that is why the father hesitated to place Jack's in their area (tombstone)?

But why accept his funeral then?

Hugs!

Artiste, OMT was adament that Jack's ashes were to be placed in the Twist family plot. OMT did not consent, as of yet, that Ennis should take the ashes to Brokeback Mountain. But, I wonder if Ennis ever went back for a return visit and Mrs. Twist gave Ennis some ashes to scatter in the one place that Jack was happy. ?????

OMT was alienated and disappointed in his son. But,those are not reasons enough alone to suspect that Jack was adopted. My thoughts about his possible adoption rise from the combination of hints in the story and the movie too. But I accept that most people do not believe that this is true because it is never directly stated in narrative or dialog. After reading all of AP's works, I have become obsessed with her style, I came to realize that many of her most important points in her stories are told between the lines. So, I revisited the Brokeback story with that in mind and came to the conclusion that Jack as an adopted child explained so very much about his life and his love for Ennis.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 07:23:02 pm »
Thanks brokeplex!

You say:  So, I revisited the Brokeback story with that in mind and came to the conclusion that Jack as an adopted child explained so very much about his life and his love for Ennis.

So to you, Jack is an adopted child! That seems right! But it does not answer why his father (OMT) wants Jack's ashes in the family plot??

Hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2007, 01:46:31 pm »

So to you, Jack is an adopted child! That seems right! But it does not answer why his father (OMT) wants Jack's ashes in the family plot??

OMT resented Jack. If Jack wanted his ashes on Brokeback, perhaps OMT wanted to have the last word and deny Ennis the opportunity to comply with Jack's wishes. Maybe he wanted Ennis to come back again, he wanted to leave the door open for a return visit. I'm not sure.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2007, 03:22:26 pm »
Thanks brokeplex!

You say: OMT resented Jack. If Jack wanted his ashes on Brokeback, perhaps OMT wanted to have the last word and deny Ennis the opportunity to comply with Jack's wishes. Maybe he wanted Ennis to come back again, he wanted to leave the door open for a return visit. I'm not sure. 

Very well phrased brokeplex! So both Jack mother and OMT want Ennis to come back to visit?? It remains was Jack adopted or not?? The views of Jack seem different to OMT because Jack was adopted? Or somewhat same because Jack was not adopted?

Hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2007, 03:39:12 pm »
Thanks brokeplex!

You say: OMT resented Jack. If Jack wanted his ashes on Brokeback, perhaps OMT wanted to have the last word and deny Ennis the opportunity to comply with Jack's wishes. Maybe he wanted Ennis to come back again, he wanted to leave the door open for a return visit. I'm not sure. 

Very well phrased brokeplex! So both Jack mother and OMT want Ennis to come back to visit?? It remains was Jack adopted or not?? The views of Jack seem different to OMT because Jack was adopted? Or somewhat same because Jack was not adopted?

Hugs!

This is pure speculation on my part Artiste. There is nothing that directly tells us that Jack was adopted. I simply see a pattern that probably most Brokies do not accept.
It answers many of the questions in my mind as to why Jack and Ennis fell so strongly in love (the bond of mutual parental loss), why was OMT alienated from Jack, why  mother Twist asked Aguirre to ride all of the way up the mountain to tell Jack his uncle was terminal  (the Uncle was Jack's biological father is my answer).

Offline Artiste

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2007, 11:36:22 am »
Thanks brokeplex!

You say: (the Uncle was Jack's biological father is my answer).

Wow!  You might be right!! Great idea you have there! That would be good for a 2nd BM movie?

Concerning Jack's father (if it was OMT), Jack was not so much alienated from him, since Jack did return often there??

Hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2007, 07:34:36 pm »
Thanks brokeplex!

You say: (the Uncle was Jack's biological father is my answer).

Wow!  You might be right!! Great idea you have there! That would be good for a 2nd BM movie?

Concerning Jack's father (if it was OMT), Jack was not so much alienated from him, since Jack did return often there??

Hugs!
could be.....I think it adds a dimension to the story that I think works well.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2007, 08:26:40 pm »
Thanks brokeplex!

When you think that maybe: Jack's  Uncle was Jack's biological father is my answer.

Then maybe that is why Jack's boss did not fire Jack nor Ennis right away when he saw them playing as lovers??

Hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2007, 08:32:20 pm »
Thanks brokeplex!

Then maybe that is why Jack's boss did not fire Jack nor Ennis right away when he saw them playing as lovers??

Hugs!

hunh! I don't understand. I think that Aguirre didn't fire them because he couldn't. It would have been very impractical to get replacement up the mountain in the middle of the summer.