Author Topic: Christmas Trees!! Multi Color Twinkle Lights or One Single Color?  (Read 10949 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Christmas Trees!! Multi Color Twinkle Lights or One Single Color?
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 10:44:12 am »
I don't put a tree up in my own apartment.  But my family's (parents') tree is always simple, non-twinkling white lights.  They also usually put white lights up on garlanding, wreaths, etc. elsewhere within the house as well.  And, they put white lights up outside too.

When I was little we had non-twinkling, small, multi-colored lights.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 12:18:53 am »
I don't put a tree up in my own apartment.  But my family's (parents') tree is always simple, non-twinkling white lights.  They also usually put white lights up on garlanding, wreaths, etc. elsewhere within the house as well.  And, they put white lights up outside too.

When I was little we had non-twinkling, small, multi-colored lights.

Hi Amanda! :)

Yes, I love those little white lights tucked inside of garland. I have some evergreen garland (fake) with tiny white lights in it. It also has an occassional small shiny red, green or blue ornament. I drape it over my mantle piece each Christmas.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 12:26:30 am »
The last few years, my kids persuaded me to put smaller, colored lights around the front windows:

At first I hated them, but meanwhile they grew on me.

Hey Chrissi, those candle lights sound beautiful! I'm glad you have kept them over the years and continue to use them on your Christmas tree.

Those small colored lights look like those twinkle lights we have been talking about. We call them "twinkle" lights, but they don't always twinkle. Often times they burn steady. But I think we are talking about the same thing here, because those colored lights look exactly like the lights I use on my tree.

I think you and I are about the same age Chrissi. Maybe you remember the ceramic lights? Nearly everyone was using them when I was a kid. They became extremely hot after a short while, and they often caused the tree to catch fire. We used the ceramic style bulbs on our tree too when I was a kid, but ours were clear. You could see straight through them, and they didn't get very hot. We used only green and blue bulbs on the tree. I liked those colors. It gave our tree a very quiet and calm "personality". Most of the ornaments were green and blue too, along with a few silver ones, I think. :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2007, 12:30:22 am »
I think I've changed my mind about my Christmas tree this year. I'm thinking about using only white lights instead of the multi-colored ones. But this will mean a trip to the store. I only have several strings of white lights right now. Or maybe all blue lights! That would be pretty, wouldn't it? Gee whiz! I better make up my mind because I'm putting up the tree this weekend!  :D

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2007, 01:59:56 am »
My other half keeps the Yultide gay with multicolor lights.
I prefer natural wreathes and poinsiettas and stuff unlighted.

TampaTalon^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2007, 11:18:45 pm »
I think I've changed my mind about my Christmas tree this year. I'm thinking about using only white lights instead of the multi-colored ones. But this will mean a trip to the store. I only have several strings of white lights right now. Or maybe all blue lights! That would be pretty, wouldn't it? Gee whiz! I better make up my mind because I'm putting up the tree this weekend!  :D

Either one would be great.

In my apartment village, the Club wraps the trunks of its rows and rows of oak trees in white lights.  It's like walking through a fantasy land at night - fantastic!

And as I was driving past a public park the other night, the city had wrapped their big oak trees with blue lights and the overall effect was eerie and icy.  Amazing.