Author Topic: Guns - Love Them or Loathe Them?  (Read 7962 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: Guns - Love Them or Loathe Them?
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 01:11:41 am »

It is personally gratifying for me to see that the majority of responses appear to favour the "loathe" end of the option spectrum.  :D

Alas, however, I fear that BetterMostians are probably not representative of the general population on this issue.  :'(
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 10:19:55 pm »
I hate them, I don't even want to touch them. I'm no Second Amendment conservative!
But, D.L. has racks full of rifles. He loves to hunt! Yuck, keep that bloody deer out of my freezer! So, I have to be a little understanding about the gun fetish.

Woo-oo-eee! Lets get a move on, don't want Game and Fish to catch us with no elk!

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 08:38:01 pm »
I'm scared of guns and I don't own one. I did take a gun coarse once at a range. Shot 50 rounds. My hands were sweating. I do believe people should have the right to own them though. I just believe in a waiting period and a back ground check. If a person is legitimate, than they should not mind waiting. Nothing is full proof though.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2007, 10:28:11 am »
I'm scared of guns and I don't own one. I did take a gun coarse once at a range. Shot 50 rounds. My hands were sweating. I do believe people should have the right to own them though. I just believe in a waiting period and a back ground check. If a person is legitimate, than they should not mind waiting. Nothing is full proof though.

Or do you?
Every year criminals kill others in attempts at robbery, and just plain old murder, with legally owned hand guns. In France right now, gangs of extremists are rioting on the streets in Paris (see CNN today and yesterday) and have killed and seriouly wounded several policemen with hunting rifles - legal in France. I ask my fellow conservatives and libertarians.... do we really need to be a nation of private citizens armed to the teeth? I don't think so. Usually, my questions are met with disbelief that I would ask it.

D.L. says "no one is going to take his guns from him". Oh, well, if he keeps them at his house, I'll be OK about it. But, I really wish he didn't have them.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2007, 11:36:49 am »
As a newspaper reporter, I saw or heard of many, many horrible stories involving guns shot accidentally or in a moment of stupidity. I got to know a family where the brother accidentally shot a gun and killed his sister. I knew of a 10-year-old boy who shot and killed his twin brother during an argument. A father who shot and killed his 14-year-old daughter when she hid in the house and then jumped out to surprise him. A (really foolish) mother who pointed a gun at her teenage son to get him to clean his room and accidentally shot and killed him. A man who shot and killed a Japanese exchange student in a Halloween costume who was coming through the yard to visit his son.

So right there we have five young people who'd be alive today if guns hadn't been handy.

I once saw a really good bumper sticker: "If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will shoot their children accidentally."

There's another saying that gun proponents like: "Guns don't kill people, people kill people." True, humans are violent. But when people are restricted to using knives or clubs or whatever, the damage they can do is much more limited than if they have guns.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2007, 07:03:03 pm »
As a newspaper reporter, I saw or heard of many, many horrible stories involving guns shot accidentally or in a moment of stupidity. I got to know a family where the brother accidentally shot a gun and killed his sister. I knew of a 10-year-old boy who shot and killed his twin brother during an argument. A father who shot and killed his 14-year-old daughter when she hid in the house and then jumped out to surprise him. A (really foolish) mother who pointed a gun at her teenage son to get him to clean his room and accidentally shot and killed him. A man who shot and killed a Japanese exchange student in a Halloween costume who was coming through the yard to visit his son.

So right there we have five young people who'd be alive today if guns hadn't been handy.

I once saw a really good bumper sticker: "If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will shoot their children accidentally."

There's another saying that gun proponents like: "Guns don't kill people, people kill people." True, humans are violent. But when people are restricted to using knives or clubs or whatever, the damage they can do is much more limited than if they have guns.

Rapturous applause from Kerry!  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2007, 11:19:59 am »

I agree with you totally. I remember that sad incident with the Japanese exchange student. That was so appalling! I consider myself a libertarian oriented conservative, but on this issue I am squarely on the side of the gun control advocates.

Lets get all guns only into the hands of law enforcement and the military where they belong.