Author Topic: Thanksgiving To-Do List  (Read 55461 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Thanksgiving To-Do List
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2007, 08:34:12 pm »
You should write an alternative Thanksgiving preperations list for the same magazine. It'd be a short one:

Three weeks prior:
- Make a reservation at a restaurant of your choice

Fixed!  ;D

We went out to dinner once on Thanksgiving and I didn't really enjoy it. That is a meal that needs to be cooked at home, at least for me.

Fortunately, for me, Thanksgiving is pretty easy. Our family is small, so cooking is fairly easy--this year there will be 6 of us. And my mother is super-traditionalist, so every year we have the exact same menu with recipes that are all tried and true, fail proof favorites. Well, brussels sprouts are not my favorite so I refuse to cook them. I told my mother if she wants them, she has to bring them herself.

My mother was never much of a baker, so we all are completely accepting of pies from the bakery. We don't expect all sorts of fancy homemade desserts.

So, our menu, this year as every year:

Roast turkey with totally ordinary white bread stuffing, from my grandmother's recipe
Cranberry sauce (Ocean spray from a can is fine, but I usually make my own since it is brainless to do)
Mashed sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top
Creamed onions (which I make Thursday morning, while watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade)
Some sort of green vegetable (usually frozen peas)
Brussels sprouts (see above)
Aunt Cuyler's lime-cheese jello salad (because my father loves it)

Dessert: pies from the bakery, usually pumpkin

Before dinner: Shrimp with cocktail sauce, Brie with Carr's table water crackers

And...gasp!...I usually do the grocery shopping on Wednesday, despite what the list maker said.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2007, 10:42:57 pm »

"            Them Sheep don't look right."          ;D

Beautiful mind

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2007, 10:44:14 pm »
We went out to dinner once on Thanksgiving and I didn't really enjoy it. That is a meal that needs to be cooked at home, at least for me.

Me too, actually. I was kidding about the restaurant. We have Thanksgiving at my in-laws', and I make a sweet potato pie. I don't need a huge to-do list for that. I just have to remember to pick up the sweet potatoes and a pint of Jack Daniels or Wild Turkey.

Though I have had Thanksgiving dinner in restaurants a few times. One year, when living in New York, my husband and I ate at that diner whose exterior they showed on Seinfeld. The food was pretty bad, but the site was memorable.

Hmm. Just think of the screenplay with "chickens" substituted for "sheep."

"We're supposed to guard the chickens, not eat 'em."
"What's the matter with you? There's a thousand of 'em."
"I'll stick with beans."

"Eat your supper, breakfast in camp. But you sleep with the chickens, hunderd percent."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2007, 11:15:58 pm »
Me too, actually. I was kidding about the restaurant. We have Thanksgiving at my in-laws', and I make a sweet potato pie. I don't need a huge to-do list for that. I just have to remember to pick up the sweet potatoes and a pint of Jack Daniels or Wild Turkey.

You put a whole pint of Jack in a sweet potato pie?  :o You take orders?  ;D

"I'll stick with beans."

"Eat your supper, breakfast in camp. But you sleep with the chickens, hunderd percent."

I think we're writing a new chapter to "Brokeback Through the Looking Glass."  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2007, 11:46:41 pm »
You put a whole pint of Jack in a sweet potato pie?  :o You take orders?  ;D

No, just a quarter cup goes in the pie. I use the rest to prepare myself for dinner at my in-laws'.  :laugh:

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2007, 12:15:04 am »
Hmm. Just think of the screenplay with "chickens" substituted for "sheep."

Joe Aguirre: "Twist, you boys wasn't gettin' paid to let the dogs babysit the chickens while you stemmed the rose."
(The sun sets in an orange sky. Jack plays his harmonica.)

Ennis (grinning): "You'll run them chickens off again if you don't quiet down."
 ;D

... thousands of chickens on Brokeback Mountain ... Jack carrying two or three over the water ....

"I'll stick with beans."

"            Them Sheep don't look right."          ;D

:laugh:  :laugh:   :laugh:   :laugh:

"Them paint brands got all wore pecked off."
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2007, 06:11:28 am »
Guys, this thread is a feast! Thank you.

What I cannot believe...and I mean this seriously...is that anyone who would have a list like that would serve a FROZEN turkey. This is the way I would have written it (mind you, not that I am doing this)....

Back in October, or maybe even June...

Put in your reservation for a fresh-killed, range fed, organic fresh turkey. Plan on a maximum turkey size of 12 lbs. for best flavor, with an estimate of 1 lb per guest at serving time. If you will have more than 12 guests, it is better to roast two turkeys, rather than one very large turkey which will inevitably dry out and be tasteless.

L

OMG, Leslie, it's not that bird you had running around in your garden is it??  :o
 ;D
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2007, 10:12:48 am »
Guys, this thread is a feast! Thank you.

OMG, Leslie, it's not that bird you had running around in your garden is it??  :o
 ;D

Pilgrim and Injun? Absolutely not! They are still running around in my backyard, as a matter of fact.

There are rules about hunting turkeys but I don't know what they are, since I don't hunt. And I could never eat a turkey that I have been watching mature for 6 months! A turkey from Hannaford (our grocery store) is fine with me.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2007, 10:20:57 am »
Pilgrim and Injun? Absolutely not! They are still running around in my backyard, as a matter of fact.

There are rules about hunting turkeys but I don't know what they are, since I don't hunt. And I could never eat a turkey that I have been watching mature for 6 months! A turkey from Hannaford (our grocery store) is fine with me.

L

Of course not! They're family!  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2007, 10:22:57 am »

L

Phew! Good to hear. I was just kidding of course...
  ;D

I didn't know they are still there. Is that a normal thing in Maine to have turkeys 'in the wild'? Or have they escaped from someone's garden?
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'