Author Topic: Thanksgiving To-Do List  (Read 55446 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Thanksgiving To-Do List
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2010, 09:15:47 am »
David, I know that the invasion of Europeans here was not great for Native Americans, and I can see why Columbus Day would not be something you'd want to celebrate.

But Thanksgiving? To me, Thanksgiving symbolizes one of the few bright spots in the history of European- and Native American relations. It's about celebrating friendship and good times. Granted that celebration may seem like small potatoes compared to all of the harm that followed, but nevertheless there's nothing negative about the holiday itself, in my view.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2010, 11:55:08 am »
David, I know that the invasion of Europeans here was not great for Native Americans, and I can see why Columbus Day would not be something you'd want to celebrate.

But Thanksgiving? To me, Thanksgiving symbolizes one of the few bright spots in the history of European- and Native American relations. It's about celebrating friendship and good times. Granted that celebration may seem like small potatoes compared to all of the harm that followed, but nevertheless there's nothing negative about the holiday itself, in my view.

I do enjoy watching the Thanksgiving Day Parade, and Thanksgiving is the traditional kick-off to the Christmas season which is also very nice. :)

But we don't celebrate it in my family. And besides, I don't like the taste of turkey! :laugh:

And I heard Walmart and Sears will be open on Thanksgiving! Did anyone else hear that? So I may sneak out and do some shopping while the rest of America is eating their dinners! It would be weird to walk in there and have the entire store to myself! 8)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2010, 02:01:34 pm »
I consulted a book The 1623 Plimmoth Plantation Thanksgiving Celebration written by Cecil Inman, which says that 90 people attended the dinner. "The Pilgrims invited their 'few' Indian friends, but these friends brought their entire families and some, their entire village. But these same Indians brought five deer and cooked these animals outside over open fires."

The treatment of Native Americans was reprehensible and cruel, but I like to think that at this one feast at least, all celebrated the harvest in an amicable fashion. I wish it could have continued!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2010, 02:36:22 pm »
I do enjoy watching the Thanksgiving Day Parade, and Thanksgiving is the traditional kick-off to the Christmas season which is also very nice. :)

I never seem to get to see that, anymore, because Dad and I always have to travel in the morning to get to mid-day dinner with our cousins.

And I heard Walmart and Sears will be open on Thanksgiving! Did anyone else hear that? So I may sneak out and do some shopping while the rest of America is eating their dinners! It would be weird to walk in there and have the entire store to myself! 8)

I don't recall hearing Sears, but I did see Walmart listed as open, and add K-Mart to that list, too. I'm not sure how I feel about that.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2010, 02:46:15 pm »

Thanksgiving is also one of the few holidays that's been neither over-commercialized nor politicized. We're not yet hearing about any "war on Thanksgiving" [crosses fingers].

As far as Columbus Day is concerned -- IMO we should have replaced it with "Eric the Red Day" a long time ago.   ;)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2010, 02:50:22 pm »
Thanksgiving is also one of the few holidays that's been neither over-commercialized

Lately, I'm not so sure. Thanksgiving is beginning to seem more and more like Black Friday Eve, a day for families to get together and plan where they're going to shop the next day.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2010, 03:06:40 pm »
Thanksgiving is also one of the few holidays that's been neither over-commercialized nor politicized. We're not yet hearing about any "war on Thanksgiving" [crosses fingers].

As far as Columbus Day is concerned -- IMO we should have replaced it with "Eric the Red Day" a long time ago.   ;)

Which reminds me that a day or two ago I saw--or heard--something somewhere about it having been discovered that some Icelanders have some genes in common with Native Americans.  8)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2012, 12:40:13 am »
Oh no! It's almost Thanksgiving week and I haven't yet laid by "extra foil and plastic wrap, kitchen twine, trash bags, paper towels, toilet paper"!!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2012, 01:59:30 am »
Oh no! It's almost Thanksgiving week and I haven't yet laid by "extra foil and plastic wrap, kitchen twine, trash bags, paper towels, toilet paper"!!!

Get on the stick, Lee!  :laugh:
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2012, 10:15:55 am »
Lately, I'm not so sure. Thanksgiving is beginning to seem more and more like Black Friday Eve, a day for families to get together and plan where they're going to shop the next day.

Oi. And this year they'll even be shopping on Thanksgiving.  :-\

(I suppose it's odd that it doesn't bother me that people may want to shop on Thanksgiving, but I feel sorry for the store employees who have to work so that others can shop. My heart always goes out to anyone working in retail this time of year.)