Author Topic: When is it too early to put Holiday lights/decorations up?  (Read 63463 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
When is it too early to put Holiday lights/decorations up?
« on: November 09, 2007, 12:22:38 am »
Today I was driving through Pittsburgh and discovered a house all lit up with a very elaborate display of Christmas lights.  I'm one who tends to really enjoy the holiday season (even though I'm not religious), but I was a little shocked at how early that display was put up.  For, me, I'm not really ready for the Christmas season until after Thanksgiving... especially when it comes to decorating.  However, I usually do start buying gifts earlier.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
Re: When is it too early to put Holiday lights/decorations up?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 12:30:36 am »
Well, I said Halloween, but only for outdoor decorations, such as lights. I think it's easier to hang the lights while it is still fairly warm outside. But I won't turn the lights on until after Thanksgiving. Outdoor figurines (Santas, sleighs, etc) won't go outside until after Thanksgiving, and certainly the Christmas tree and indoor decorations will wait until after Thanksgiving. I normally don't put up my artificial tree until after December 1st.  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 03:04:04 am »
Same as in your other decorations poll; I haven't voted yet. Would you care to add another possibility?
Traditionally people start decorating at or around the beginning of Advent (first Sunday of Advent). That's the last November weekend or first December weekend.
Some lights around the windows are put up then and maybe some window decorations made by kids. Christmas trees will follow much later (shortly before Christmas) and such things as figurines are not common here (although a certain type of Santa doll, hanging out of a window, has been becoming quite popular over the last years  :P).
In general, decorations are far, fare less than in the US.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 04:45:28 am »
Oh and for us non USa folk - when exactly is labour day and thanksgiving!?!

Well - there is a neighbour next to me who puts their christmas decorations up - in full and in a very american way - just after bonfire/guy fawkes night (5 November) - I'm actually surprised stuff isn't already up.... guessing this will be their task for this weekend.

and i think thats absolutely bloody ridiculous. To me - christmas decorations at home are for the month of December! (and like opthers in the other poll i either take my decorations down on the 12 day of xmas or on the second January when i get bored and am off work still!)

Oh and yes - much less decorations than in the USA but like halloween we are getting more and more into the festivities and being more american and festive like with the decorations.

i still have bno outside lights though. i'm thinking of my electricity bill/carbon footprint!!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 05:28:29 am »
A radio station here in Belgium has launched an 'appeal' not to start putting up christmas decorations, or play that 'dreaded' christmas music on the radio or in the shops before december 15th. They even made a sticker that says 'for god's sake, no christmasfuss before december 15th'. This has caused quite a stirr, many shopkeepers feel they are being targeted and are not happy!  ;D

I agree though, 2 or 3 weeks of christmas is enough for me. We usually put up our christmas decorations and a tree, the first weekend after Sinterklaas, which is on december 6th.

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 05:44:52 am »
A radio station here in Belgium has launched an 'appeal' not to start putting up christmas decorations, or play that 'dreaded' christmas music on the radio or in the shops before december 15th. They even made a sticker that says 'for god's sake, no christmasfuss before december 15th'. This has caused quite a stirr, many shopkeepers feel they are being targeted and are not happy!  ;D

I agree though, 2 or 3 weeks of christmas is enough for me. We usually put up our christmas decorations and a tree, the first weekend after Sinterklaas, which is on december 6th.

Aww! Sinterklaas! I remember that holiday! I have lots and lots of happy memories of Sinterklaas and my Grandfather! :'(  (This is a happy cry btw)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 05:48:52 am »
They've been running those damned Christmas ads on TV for the past two weeks! And the stores put their Christmas trees up in SEPTEMBER! I'm sick of Christmas already!  >:(

Pretty soon they will be doing this whole Christmas deal year round, don't you think?

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 06:03:57 am »
Aww! Sinterklaas! I remember that holiday! I have lots and lots of happy memories of Sinterklaas and my Grandfather! :'(  (This is a happy cry btw)

hey David. We still celebrate Sinterklaas even though my kids now 'know about Sinterklaas  ;)'. Of course for us, it's just another excuse to have a big chocolate feast!  :)

sorry to get a bit off topic here...
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 06:31:28 am »
so tell me what Sinterklaas is then guys!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 06:45:52 am »
I went to NY last week and put up the lights outside my mother's house, just this past Sunday.

She tries -and fails-to have the whole house decorated by thanksgiving, except for the window and the tree downstairs. [ She has 4 trees]

I like to have the tree up here in Denver by Thanksgiving. If it's possible to have a tree this year [ we are having a lot of work done] it will be up by Thanksgiving, and it will be lit the day they light the tree in Rockefeller Center in NY
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"