Author Topic: To you, what is MOST joyful about Annie's story and/or the BM movie??  (Read 2652 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
To you, what is MOST joyful about Annie's story and/or the BM movie??

Comment as you please.

Hugs!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: To you, what is MOST joyful about Annie's story and/or the BM movie??
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 07:02:46 pm »
The time they spent on the mountain is the most joyful part of the movie to me, especially when Jack and Ennis were companions around the campfire where none was expected, and when they were respectful of each others' opinions. No wonder Ennis felt he could paw the white out of the moon!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

moremojo

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 07:18:13 pm »
I agree with Lee that the wonderful, fateful summer on the mountain is the most joyful element in both story and film. Ennis and Jack got to know each other, themselves, and got to be who and what they really were for that brief, bracing spell. Their stint on the mountain very much haunted the rest of their lives--note how they try to recreate it with all those fishing trips.

There is a part of me, though, that believes that all sentient experience has its roots in a mysterious Cosmic Joy, so that, seen through this lens, even the saddest, most harrowing parts of the story have a spark of joy in them. The very fact that Jack and Ennis found true love, the greatest, most precious treasure that can crown a human life, is cause for any of us to feel exceedingly grateful, enduringly satisfying joy.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 07:32:59 pm »
Thanks Front-Ranger!

To quote you:
No wonder Ennis felt he could paw the white out of the moon!

I do not know what that is, nor mean; I know it makes me laugh, why? You got me smiling! Thanks!

Hugs! May we all be happy as Ennis and Jack, Heath and Jake were... and others too!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 07:37:25 pm »
Thanks moremojo!

May I quote you partly:
There is a part of me, though, that believes that all sentient experience has its roots in a mysterious Cosmic Joy, so that, seen through this lens, even the saddest, most harrowing parts of the story have a spark of joy in them. The very fact that Jack and Ennis found true love, the greatest, most precious treasure that can crown a human life, is cause for any of us to feel exceedingly grateful, enduringly satisfying joy.

Moremojo, I understand, your last sentence, but not the 2 first ones in that paragraph. May I get more from you on that? And what is sentient please too!!

Hugs!!

moremojo

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 07:49:22 pm »
"Sentient" means "aware" or "conscious", especially in regard to sensory impressions. Most animals (including, of course, human beings) are observed to be sentient beings.

In my first sentence of the quoted paragraph, I was giving voice to a feeling that is consistent with my monistic beliefs that the universe emanates from a Divine Consciousness, and that all components of the universe are aspects or reflections of this singular Consciousness, come into being so that this Consciousness can come to know Itself. I believe this process is fundamentally Joyous, that Joy is at the very heart of this Consciousness and its desire to know Itself, so that everything that contributes to this knowledge is somehow imbued with joy...including even those events and experiences we deem, from our limited perspective, as tragic or sad.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 11:18:10 pm »
Thanks moremojo!

Oh, I love your paragraph:

Can you detail the stages of Ennis' and Jack's love, if there are any?? Stages, for the lack of a better word.

Or any other details? Or joy? What, joy? Which joys, that are connecting the single joy??

Or?

Hugs!!  Ennis and Jack outline joy by their love!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 01:51:34 pm »
Had just a thought!

I enjoy that Ennis saw that cowboy on horse toy in Jack's bedroom!!

You all?

Keep care,

hugs!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Offline Soluki

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 02:01:02 pm »
There is NO joy in this story.  Even those moments that seem idyllic are tinged (though our, the reader/viewers) vantage point with our own knowledge of the period and place this story takes occurs in.  We know (though we may not wish to consciously admit it) that whatever happy moments these two men experience are careening toward unhappiness.  JMO