Author Topic: New Movie Poll: Which Do You Plan To See?  (Read 6529 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
New Movie Poll: Which Do You Plan To See?
« on: November 09, 2007, 05:59:14 pm »
So far, I only plan on seeing two of them; The Mist and This Christmas. I'm sure there will be others though!  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: New Movie Poll: Which Do You Plan To See?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 06:11:19 pm »
     I mentioned three, but I will add.  Fred Claus.. I like Vince Vaughn, and Paul Giamonti both.  Looks
cute.  Not a big thinking movie.  Good for Christmastime.  I chose

Sweeny Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
National Treasure: Book Of Secrets
Mr. Margorium's Wonder Emporium

Beautiful mind

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 06:13:44 pm »

I mentioned three, but I will add.  Fred Claus.. I like Vince Vaughn, and Paul Giamonti both.  Looks
cute.  Not a big thining movie.  Good for Christmastime.  I chose
  0 (0%)
Sweeny Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
National Treasure: Book Of Secrets
Mr. Margorium's Wonder Emporium

Oh, I meant to put Fred Claus in there Janice! Sorry about that. I will go and add that movie to the list, and then if you want you can change your vote! :)

Sorry about that! And I plan to see that movie too. I can't believe I didn't list it up there. I completely forgot about it!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 06:18:52 pm »
The only one I know anything about is The Golden Compass, which I'm really keen to see.  I've read the books on which it's based, and the website is absolutely beautifully done.  Check it out: http://www.goldencompassmovie.com/?engine=adwords
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 08:55:59 pm »
I want to see Into the Wild, but it's not shown up anywhere around here.  Has anybody seen it?

Go to the Culture Board and read the movie thread.  Several people have.

Love In The Time Of Cholera is a great title for a film

I agree, once I heard the title, I raced to get a synopsis of the book.  Too bad the story doesn't follow the title.  It seems to be just a great title.  :(

I only put two movies, but I will probably get dragged to see them and more, otherwise, the selection didn't look so inviting.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 09:08:35 pm »
Go to the Culture Board and read the movie thread.  Several people have.

Where is it Delalluvia? I did a search for "Into The Wild" and it pointed me to the "Ressurecting the Old Movie Thread" thread, but I couldn't find a discussion about Into The Wild in it. Is there a different thread I should be looking in? I was planning to post a link for Gary. :)

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 10:22:57 pm »
I'm really excited about Sweeney Todd and National Treasure: Book of Secrets.  I recently came across these quotes from National Treasure 2 on IMDb,  I think they bode well for the quality of the writing... those who saw the first National Treasure will know what I mean.. (btw these were all taken from the trailer so I don't feel I'm spoiling anything  ;) )

Riley Poole: So let's recap: We've broken into Buckingham Palace, and the Oval Office, stolen a page from the President's super-secret book, and actually kidnapped the President of the United States. What are we gonna do next, short-sheet the Pope's bed?

Ben Gates: Well, you never know.

~~~~~

Riley Poole:
[seeing several police pulling up to the buidling] Oh look. My tax dollars at work, coming to arrest me.

~~~~
Ben Gates: I'm gonna kidnap him. I'm gonna kidnap the president of the United States.

Riley Poole: Wouldn't it just have been easier to make an appointment?

« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 03:20:15 am by dot-matrix »
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 01:41:09 am »
They're making a movie based on Alvin and the Chipmunks?  :o  ;D  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 05:41:44 pm »
Where is it Delalluvia? I did a search for "Into The Wild" and it pointed me to the "Ressurecting the Old Movie Thread" thread, but I couldn't find a discussion about Into The Wild in it. Is there a different thread I should be looking in? I was planning to post a link for Gary. :)

I'm sorry, Gary asked if anybody had seen it and it was on the Old Movie Thread that people stated that they had.  There isn't a discussion thread on it.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 05:35:16 am »
None of those grabbed me, though I haven't heard of most of them either.  What about "I'm Not There" and "Lust, Caution?"

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 05:17:52 am »

I just went and watched the movie....Jesse James, and the Coward Bob Ford..It was spectacular..

Brad and Casey Afleck were both wonderfull.. I never thought, that I would  see Brad Pitt take on a

part where I dont see him, but the part he is playing..  he wears this suit like Ennis was worn by Heath...He is

wonderful...The cinematography is great, and the supporting cast is terrific also..It has several recognizable faces

that you will recognize, but probably be unable to name...But the entire project was very stark and believable...

Beautiful mind

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 02:33:25 pm »
I chose Beowulf, The Mist and Sweeny Todd.
I read Beowulf when I ws about 5 and have always loved it!!
The mist was a great short story by Stephen King. Scary as hell!!
I have always heard about Sweent Todd as far as the Broadway show and HBO had a movie about it but i only caught bits and Pieces of it. So, thats what I'm looking forward to.
I didn't recognize many of the other's.
I just saw American gangster and it was awesome! Denzel is great! Not to mention  cute as hell! ;D

"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 03:05:13 pm »
I'm itching to see The Golden Compass!  It's based on the book by Phillip Pullman, Northern Lights.  It may even be based on the entire trilogy His Dark Materials ... fantastic set of books, bizarre but brilliant!

I really don't understand why they've changed the title to the Golden Compass.  Lyra does come across this compass thingie and instinctively knows how to use it but it's such an obvious title, Northern Lights is much more subtle.

It's like Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone ... why did they change it to "Sorcerers Stone" for the American audience?  Do they think that Americans will be confused by the word "Philosopher"?

I'd be quite insulted if I were an American!!

Susie

Glad to know you're up on the Dark Materials trilogy, Susie!  8)

Regarding the name change, I think I can see why they changed the name to "The Golden Compass."  It just makes better sense with the other two book titles, each of which refers to a magical object.  IMO, the whole trilogy would fit under the name "The Northern Lights," actually, and might make more sense than "His Dark Materials," which only a small percentage of people would know comes from the Milton quote.

I think you're right that the Harry Potter name change is probably a matter of the publisher wanting to Americanize it.  Most kids wouldn't think of a philosopher as having anything to do with magic.  "Sorceror" sounds a whole lot juicier.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Scott6373

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 03:11:13 pm »
I'm shocked..."Sweeney Todd" has the most votes