Author Topic: Anybody out there seen Atonement? (SPOILERS)  (Read 13201 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Anybody out there seen Atonement? (SPOILERS)
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2008, 08:32:14 pm »
Yes, Clyde, I want to read the book, too. It is on my list.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2008, 08:33:59 pm »

I didn't really worry about the medical realism.  Luc could just have easily have died from blood loss as from infection from the hole in his head.  I seem to remember Robbie poked at a hole in his chest--more symbolism?

It wasn't so much the realism as more--how Briony learned what dying looked liked. And that's what she wrote in the story. She thought it would make sense since Robbie died of the same thing as the French solider (Luc? I don't remember the name). That's what I was trying to get at.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2008, 02:01:14 pm »
I just saw the film yesterday.  I've been having the book lying around since Christmas and now I'm going to start reading it.  I'm one of those ppl who likes to see the movie and then read the book, especially when it comes to tradegies.  I will certainly pay attn to details in the book hoping to get  more information as to what Briony was making up and what really transpired. If her book is confessional , why make it up ???   
In some parts of the movie, I wasn't paying sharp attention.  It's only when old Briony (Vannessa Redgrave) says she made it up, i.e. a reunion with her sister and Robbie that I really perked up. 
I really don't have much sympathy for Briony, waiting until she is dying before writing this book.  She should have admitted as much earlier and she might have been able to rest more easily, i.e. I was very young and stupid when I did this and I spent the rest of my life trying to undo the damage.