Author Topic: What irks me about the holidays  (Read 156809 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: What irks me about the holidays
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 11:12:17 am »
Just my opinion, but your holidays will only be "messed up" if you let them get "messed up".

I agree that people start "stressing" the holiday season waaaaaaaay to early.  Christmas stuff gets seen right after Halloween (Thanksgiving always gets glossed over) and BOOM!  Christmas is here.

I think that everyone needs to find a holiday activity they can mellow out with, or enjoy.

I always make sure I spend some time driving around town at night, looking at the way people decorated their houses.

Usually each Saturday in Dec is some activity, family party, friend party.  Chirstmas Eve and Day is strictly immediate family.

I won't deny that Christmas is shoved down our throats, but we don't have to let it dominate everything, or ruin the way we spend the holidays.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 11:17:51 am »
Good point, Chuck!

I always make sure I spend some time driving around town at night, looking at the way people decorated their houses.

I like doing that, too.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 11:32:54 am »
Good point, Chuck!

I like doing that, too.

Same here. I remember doing that when I was a kid, before the energy crisis of the '70s (which Chuckie is too young to remember  ;D ), and Dad and I still do it these days. Plus, for the past couple of years, there has been a drive-through display set up in a local park in my home town to benefit the local hospice organization. My grandparents both received services from the hospice organization, so we usually go to that display, too.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 11:36:23 am »

I like doing that, too.

Same here. I remember doing that when I was a kid, before the energy crisis of the '70s (which Chuckie is too young to remember  ;D ),

Mr. Wrangler, I remember that energy crisis.  lmao!  I was young, but I remember it.

As for the lights, I remember a few years ago, a few friends and I drove around with a video camera, and made vids of people who had REALLY tacky displays, and made running commentary as well.

then we watched it with popcorn and hot chocolate.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 11:42:01 am »
I thought you didn;t have a video camera?  ;)
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007, 12:20:35 pm »
I thought you didn;t have a video camera?  ;)

I don't.  I did the driving, it was my friend Tina who did the camera work.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2007, 12:31:39 pm »

I don't.  I did the driving, it was my friend Tina who did the camera work.

And you are a good driver. I can testify!
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

moremojo

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2007, 12:45:18 pm »
What irks me about the holidays, regardless of whether you observe them or not, or how you feel or want to feel about them, is that Christmas is shoved down your throat for at least a good two months now before it even arrives. You can't go out in public from about Halloween on without encountering it--heck, you can't even listen to some radio stations without Christmas music being presented WAY too early.

No wonder some of us become Scrooges by the time Christmas actually rolls around. It seems like there's been nothing but Christmas for about two months, minimum.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2007, 01:05:52 pm »
As for the lights, I remember a few years ago, a few friends and I drove around with a video camera, and made vids of people who had REALLY tacky displays, and made running commentary as well.

then we watched it with popcorn and hot chocolate.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Now, that sounds like a fun thing to do for the holidays!  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2007, 01:11:53 pm »
Now, that sounds like a fun thing to do for the holidays!  ;D

Jeff, I wish I had the vid to put on youtube.  Some of those houses had so much plastic shit on them, if those houses were to burn, they would've burned another hole in the ozone layer.