Author Topic: What irks me about the holidays  (Read 156796 times)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Re: What irks me about the holidays
« Reply #120 on: December 20, 2010, 03:54:13 pm »

(I'm sure Monika is interested) .

yes!

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #121 on: December 21, 2010, 11:51:31 am »
Oh I just love a Christmas Carol.  It is one of my favorite works of literature.  It also scares me to death -- all season I'm on edge because I watch every Christmas Carol show/movie/production shown on TV and I've collected just about all of them on DVD.  I'm even working on a screenplay of A Christmas Carol with a twist.  Who knows, perhaps soon you'll see a production of my version of this classic.

What's your favorite version?  Mine is the Patrick Stewart one, but Scrooged is one of my all-time favorite Christmas flicks.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #122 on: December 21, 2010, 12:42:57 pm »
What's your favorite version?  Mine is the Patrick Stewart one, but Scrooged is one of my all-time favorite Christmas flicks.

I've never seen the Patrick Steward version. I own a copy (on tape!) of the George C. Scott/Hallmark Hall of Fame version, which I watch every year. I like it for its production values (filmed on location in Coventry), and it's great supporting cast, including David Warner, Edward Woodward, Roger Rees, Frank Finlay, Susannah York, and a host of other fine British actors.

It also introduced me to "The Sussex Carol," a lovely traditional English Christmas carol.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #123 on: December 21, 2010, 03:48:48 pm »

Not to get OT, but IMO, the Patrick Stewart one was boring.  Never thought I'd say that about something Patrick Stewart is in.  :P  The George C. Scott one I didn't buy maybe it's his face, but he never looks remorseful.  I like the older versions and the Albert Finney musical one.  The movie  Scrooged disappointed me, because

SPOILER AHEAD!!!

all the guy did at the end was say 'Sorry'.  He didn't make it up to anyone.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #124 on: December 22, 2010, 12:48:53 am »

This might irk some--
but not me!
 ;D
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDBMzGq1vhs&NR=1[/youtube]

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #125 on: December 22, 2010, 10:18:06 am »
This might irk some--
but not me!
 ;D

The Muppets are never irksome.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #126 on: December 22, 2010, 10:31:03 am »
Not to get OT, but IMO, the Patrick Stewart one was boring.  Never thought I'd say that about something Patrick Stewart is in.  :P 

Unexpectedly, I got to see the Patrick Stewart version last night--I noticed that TNT was running it. I was impressed by the realism of much of the production--in the Hallmark/George C. Scott version, even to me, even the cobwebs in Scrooge's rooms seem just a little too perfect. OTOH--and no offense intended to anyone who prefers this version--especially in some early scenes, where you see Patrick Stewart in profile, with the shape of his head and his lean figure dressed in black, I thought he bore a startling resemblance to the vampire in Nosferatu.  Or, worse, yet, an Edward Gorey cartoon. :(  And then there was the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come: with those two bright eyes within the cowl and no visible face, he made me think of an overgrown Jawa.  :(

Minor quibble: While I haven't double-checked, I suspect the early 1840s may be too early for Tiny Tim to have known Silent Night in English, and I also doubt that God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen was sung in church at that time.

I need to research cast lists, too, because I would swear that the elderly actress who played Mrs. Dilber in the pawn broker scene was the same actress who played Mrs. Dilber in the Hallmark/Scott version.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #127 on: December 22, 2010, 11:08:48 am »
This might irk some--
but not me!
 ;D

Here's a sacrilege: I find "The 12 Days of Christmas" irksome (when sung by anybody, but probably especially Muppets). So repetitive and boring! It's Christmas carols' answer to "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall."

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #128 on: December 22, 2010, 11:20:49 am »
Here's a sacrilege: I find "The 12 Days of Christmas" irksome (when sung by anybody, but probably especially Muppets). So repetitive and boring! It's Christmas carols' answer to "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall."

There's always The Twelve Days of BBM Christmas!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #129 on: December 22, 2010, 11:44:31 am »
There's always The Twelve Days of BBM Christmas!

THAT one I love, Paul!  :D  :-* I just revisited it yesterday when you bumped it. Thanks!