Author Topic: What irks me about the holidays  (Read 156765 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: What irks me about the holidays
« Reply #210 on: December 23, 2014, 12:35:30 pm »
No kidding, Lee!  For some reason, I can't get this one out of my head.  Ughhhhh.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lPw9hkk3II[/youtube]

That one is the very worst. I worked at Macy's for two Christmas seasons and heard it like three times a shift. The. Worst.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #211 on: December 23, 2014, 02:48:52 pm »
according to what I heard on the radio yesterday, the biggest complaints about the holidays are longer lines in stores, and more traffic.

I was on line at the post office on Saturday, late morning and there were exactly three people in the line. The two other people were complaining about the line and also the fact that the US government is so lazy and corrupt, loudly, so that the one lone postal employee behind the counter could hear. He was polite and jovial the entire time. Fortunately, I only had to wait a couple of minutes.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #212 on: December 23, 2014, 04:18:15 pm »
In both Australia and New Zealand, the Postal services are now private companies with Govt controls. Most post services are now agencies in supermarkets or newsagents. The dedicated post shops are not open on Saturday. And in NZ post deliveries are to be reducedto 3 days per week some time next year. I would think a queue of 3 was nice and  short.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #213 on: December 23, 2014, 04:27:16 pm »
I am in Sydney and went to the local shopping mall to help my sister yesterday. She lives just 3 blocks away but car parking is impossible. However she cannot carry very much. My arms are now longer after the walk home  ;D
It annoys me all the crowds and rushing about. Even Dunedin was busy (but nothing like Sydney) when I went to the shops last week.
We do not buy presents in our family. All I buy for Christmas are cards (3 weeks ago) and yesterday I bought some glace fruit for my sister and today I will buy some beer for my BiL and some bottles of wine (NZ naturally) as I am visiting friends for lunch over the weekend.
I bought some vitamins (cheaper in Australia than NZ) and 500 Euro which I will need next April.
My sister just had to buy food because I am staying, we will have a proper Christmas dinner and she has her in-laws over on Saturday (I will go out to avoid them).
I am counting the days until I can go back to the peace, quiet and cool of Dunedin next Tuesday.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #214 on: December 24, 2014, 09:54:19 am »
When I have to mail something during the holidays, I go to a "Mail Boxes Inc" location right down the street.

Very fast, and almost always I'm the only one in the place.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #215 on: December 28, 2014, 05:33:21 pm »
I'll stick my neck out again with something else that I know will make me sound like a spoiled brat (maybe I am?).

At Christmas very dear and very well-meaning relatives tend to inundate me with loads of "consumables" that my waistline doesn't need and I really don't want: Candy, cookies, you name it. Moreover, if I were loading up a car for my return home, it wouldn't be so difficult, but when you have to travel by public transportation, it can be very difficult to lug all this stuff home.

This year I was gifted two bottles of wine; I left them both at my dad's house because there was no way I could get them back to Philadelphia on the train today. (The wine was in addition to cookies AND candy AND hot chocolate mix.)

I do appreciate the thought, but I wish they wouldn't overdo it so much. At least I have the cookies and candy to share when I go back to work January 5.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #216 on: December 10, 2015, 02:21:09 pm »
who's feeling irked this year?

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #217 on: December 13, 2015, 08:18:55 pm »
What irks me right now is it's too warm! We need some snowflakes in the air to have a proper Christmas shopping season. It feels more like lemonade weather than hot cocoa!
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #218 on: December 13, 2015, 09:25:38 pm »
What irks me right now is it's too warm! We need some snowflakes in the air to have a proper Christmas shopping season. It feels more like lemonade weather than hot cocoa!

I agree, hunnerd percent!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #219 on: December 14, 2015, 09:42:37 am »

I agree, hunnerd percent!

Yup!  We were discussing this at the Christmas party I went to on Saturday, and how they could've done a bbq party instead of cooking in the kitchen.  LOL

The hosts of the party were wearing shorts!