Author Topic: "Brothers and Sisters"  (Read 16015 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"Brothers and Sisters"
« on: November 14, 2007, 11:06:13 am »
"Brothers and Sisters" is a series about the loving but dysfunctional Walker family who reunite in the wake of death of their father to find he had secrets he had been keeping.  Some of this is familiar evening soap opera, and the first season seemed to have problems with trying to figure out how to balance the stories among an ensemble cast.

One of the brothers is Kevin, a gay attorney.  Interestingly, there doesn't seem to be much drama about his being gay.  Too many of the storylines have been about his revolving door romances with impossibly goodlooking fellows with commitment issues - or is he the one with commitment issues?  I guess time will tell. 

What strikes me as interesting about this is the very ordinary treatment of his being gay.  It isn't a big deal.  We haven't heard much about his coming out, it just seems to be a given that Kevin is gay, and maybe everyone has known it all along.  A new storyline has been introduced involving his uncle Saul (Ron Rifkin) who after a season and a half, is now first coming out to his sister Nora (Sally Field).

For anyone wanting to see a treatment of gay characters that feels more authentic and ordinary than showy, this might hold some interest for you.
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: "Brothers and Sisters"
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 06:57:11 am »
I have loved this show from the start for many, many reasons, and Kevin was just a wonderful plus in a show that already had much to recommend it. And yes, instead of Saul's coming out to Nora being the big deal of the show, it was almost a throw-away comment at the end.

I'm glad to hear you say that it seems authentic to you, Bruce, because it seemed that way to me, but I don't really have much to go on!

I think that the difference in Saul's and Kevin's experiences because of the difference in their ages will make for some interesting conversations in coming shows. As Saul recently said to him, something like You're used to walking down the street holding hands...It has been a different world for Saul.

I'm really glad that you brought this up.

Lauren

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 05:34:59 pm »

I think that the difference in Saul's and Kevin's experiences because of the difference in their ages will make for some interesting conversations in coming shows. As Saul recently said to him, something like You're used to walking down the street holding hands...It has been a different world for Saul.

Ron Rifkin has been sitting on the sideline of the story for too long.  I am hoping this will give him a little more dramatic challenge.  He's a very good actor.

The contrast between "gay then" and "gay now" has come up before in terms of Brokeback.  I also think this is a great area of unexplored dramatic content, that I hope the writers will use well!
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 05:59:45 pm »
Brothers and Sisters is one of the very few shows I watch on television.  Its a wonderful series.  I think Sally Fields does a great job as the mom and Calissta Flockhart is a wonderful actress.  I love the show.  I too am interested in what drama will come around Saul's character as an older gay man.  And yes it was a very interesting comment Saul made to Kevin about the differences in time.  Meaning growing up gay as a now older man compared to Kevin being a gay man here in this time.  From what I've seen of how people react to my daughter being gay, there is no big deal.  Not in my family or in public or even her job.   Her friends accept it too.  SO why would a new show make a deal out of couple of its characters being gay?  I think its very fitting for the times, and makes for a very normal "dysfunctional" family and a very comfortable show to watch.   :)

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 01:36:27 am »
I really dig this show.  It can make me laugh one minute and cry the next.  My favorite thing about the show is the relationships between all the characters, how none of them are islands, how they are all tied together.  Whatever happens on the show affects them all in some way.  It’s very well constructed that way. 

I like Kitty, but McAllister/Rob Lowe doesn’t really do it for me.  Hasn’t since “Class” and that was forever ago.  I love Sarah in all her tough prickliness.  Tommy and Julia can be non-entities at times, though that’s probably because they were – at least originally -  stable, secure, and the most practical.  For awhile there, they weren’t often written for.  I like him because he looks kinda like one of my nephews. 

Saul is getting interesting, and I look forward to seeinig his story play out, especially since Nora and Kevin will surely be involved.  Somebody needs to get it on with Michael Nouri.  A man like that shouldn’t go to waste. 

I like Kevin, his sharp wit and tongue, but I wasn’t that intrigued by his relationships in the first season.  The one with the closeted actor got tedious after awhile (Come out of the closet for me. . . Wait!  Stay in the closet if you want.).  But Jason looks promising.  He is so freaking good looking.  If he were my minister, I’d be on my knees day and night. 

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mCXl4sltI4[/youtube]

I’m most intrigued by Holly and Rebecca.  I like how Holly has been incorporated into the show and the family, tension intact.  I was a little disappointed in them when they walked out of Justin’s intervention, though it did get ugly there.  Patricia Wettig has done a good job of making the other woman likeable and sympathetic. 

It seems that it was set up last year for Rebecca to be a troublemaker, and I hope that’s pursued further.  And do Emily VanCamp and Dave Annable have strong chemistry that’s freaky considering they are playing half siblings or what?  I don’t think they would go there by pairing those two; it’s not that type of show.  But they’d make a cute couple.  Almost as cute as him and me would be together.  Don’t really like her bangs this season though. 

Speaking of Dave Annable, I LOVE him.  Those eyes. . . that hair. . . that vulnerability.  Sexy and sweet.  He was my favorite on “Reunion” on FOX a couple of years back.  I would marry him in a heartbeat.  Justin is my second favorite character on the show. 

But Nora is my absolute favorite.  The major, main reason I love the show is Sally Field.   I hate hyperbole and gushing, but I can't help but do it when it comes to her.  She is magnificent.  I’ve loved her since I was a kid, and she continues to be one of most loveable, charismatic people I’ve ever seen.  I haven’t seen anything she’s been in where I wasn’t drawn to and transfixed by her. 

My favorite episode so far is the one where they had the game night competition with the rival family lead by Susan Sullivan and Perry King, even though Kitty and Nora were shameful for stealing the trophy at the end.  The best part was when Kevin kept calling out answers in charades that revealed how upset he was with Kitty. . . 

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WGdKF5sHc4&feature=related[/youtube]

DIE, KITTY, DIE!  Ba ha, ha, ha! 
I been one poor correspondent, and I been too, too hard to find, but it doesn't mean you ain't been on my mind.  -- America

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 01:50:49 am »
I’ve read that Betty Buckley was originally cast in Field’s role on B&S.  No offense against Buckley, but I can’t imagine anyone else in the role of Nora.  I don’t think the show would work even half as well as it does without Field. 

I also read that Jonathan LaPaglia was originally cast as Kevin.  I don’t think I would have minded him playing the part.  Though I have nothing against Matthew Rhys, I think LaPaglia is sexy as hell.  I might have had a tough time choosing between him and Dave Annable, so I guess it’s good (for Dave) that LaPaglia didn’t keep the part. 

They actually filmed a pilot with Buckley and LaPaglia, and I’d love to see it.  Does anyone know if it’s included on the Season 1 DVD?  I’m tempted to get the DVD set since I’ve seen it on sale next week for about 30 bucks. 

Look what I just found! 

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4Nul1JgAoE[/youtube]
I been one poor correspondent, and I been too, too hard to find, but it doesn't mean you ain't been on my mind.  -- America

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 07:41:27 am »
I was laughing before I even watched your videos, SKJ, just remembering these scenes, but I watched them anyway and this jumped out at me:

"You didn't come in here looking for a band aid, did you?"

"You didn't go up there to fish."          ;)

I didn't know a lot of these actors in the beginning. I tuned in because of Sally Field (yes - she is an amazing person), Patricia Wettig (I was a real fan of "Thirty-something," and Ken Olin, one of the producers (?) is her real-life husband, but they were both married to other people on "Thirty-something"), Rob Lowe (I really liked him in "West Wing" and I do like the pairing with Kitty), and Tom Skerritt (that didn't last long, did it?). And I really wasn't familiar with Calista Flockhart at all and was curious about her.

I didn't know Ron Rifkin by name, but he was a familiar face.

Oh my gosh, I didn't watch your third video before I commented on the other two! That is so great. I noticed another face from "Thirty-something" in there, very briefly, being introduced to Kitty. 

If we hadn't ever seen Sally Field then we probably would have been okay with a different mom, but it would never work for us now. I don't even see her being able to do the things that Sally Field can pull off. I think that the writing would have had to be totally different. Grey-haired mom would never take a running leap into the swimming pool fully clothed! 

injest

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 01:55:39 am »
I really dig this show.  It can make me laugh one minute and cry the next.  My favorite thing about the show is the relationships between all the characters, how none of them are islands, how they are all tied together.  Whatever happens on the show affects them all in some way.  It’s very well constructed that way. 

I like Kitty, but McAllister/Rob Lowe doesn’t really do it for me.  Hasn’t since “Class” and that was forever ago.  I love Sarah in all her tough prickliness.  Tommy and Julia can be non-entities at times, though that’s probably because they were – at least originally -  stable, secure, and the most practical.  For awhile there, they weren’t often written for.  I like him because he looks kinda like one of my nephews. 

oh I am glad I am not the only one...I hate Rob Lowe...

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 10:57:40 am »
Ken Olin (Thirty-something) also directed "Alias" with Jennifer Garner.  If Ron Rifkin's face looks familiar, it might be that you recognized him from his role as Arvin Sloan on "Alias."

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 10:12:04 pm »
I absolutely LOVE this show!! I have seen all aired episodes of both seasons and can't wait for next week's episode!

My favourite characters are Kevin, Saul, Tommy and weirdly also Kitty and Robert. Nora annoys me horribly, but Sally Field is doing a good job! I really like Ron Rifkiin! Never saw 'Alias' but I've seen him in a few other things and I think he's a fine fine actor! I'm hoping that his storyline will further develop beautifully!

I did not know Matthew Rhys, but I do now!!  :P Of the three boyfriends he had, I prefered Chad most (not many share this with me it seems - but I am a sucker for 'coming-out' stories). I'm hoping that Kevin and Chad will meet again (not necessarily date) in season 2.

I came here looking for a B&S thread a while ago and couldn't find anything. I just assumed that I wasn't able to locate it. I'm suprised that this thread was started only a few days ago, whereas the series is being aired in the US since last year!

In any case - I love B&S!! Great forum here - http://brothersandsisters-tv.com/forums/
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -