Author Topic: "Brothers and Sisters"  (Read 16007 times)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: "Brothers and Sisters"
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 02:56:08 am »
hey Jude,

on what channel are you watching this? I can't find one that aires this show. And reading all the posts here, I'm intrigued.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 07:43:56 am »
Hi Fabienne!

The series is really good! I have digital TV so I have been watching it on 'PRIME One'. I think it also aired on TF1 (dubbed in French... eeew  :o), but season 1 ended and I think it will take a while before they will start with season 2. I will PM you, though.

Other than that I forgot to mention that I really like Ken Olin as an actor but also as a director. I used to watch 'Thirtysomething' 15+ years ago and really liked all the characters (including Peter Frechette who is far too absent from television). I am also happy to see that Ken Olin is teaming up again with David Marshall Grant - an actor I appreciate a lot too.

With that and the fact that I like Ron Rifkin a lot, I think I really have to watch 'Alias' at some point. ..  :D

I recently discovered the website 'AfterElton'. It might be nothing new for many here, but I am really enjoying that site (though I tried to register several times and it just won't work.. :-\). Among other very interesting articles and subjects it has a fun part of episode recaps and some interviews of main actors, executive producers and writers (http://www.afterelton.com/TV/brothersandsisters.html). But DON'T READ if you don't want major spoilers!!

j.U.d.E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2007, 09:47:09 am »
Peter Frechette - He was the 30-Something college professor, right? Look at the third video that Smellykellyjay posted and you will see him for just a second. It looks as though he was being considered for a part in B&S.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 09:45:49 am »
Brothers & Sisters' Luke MacFarlane (Scotty) comes out!!  Way to go Luke!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080415.wmacfarlane15/BNStory/Entertainment/

A commitment to himself
On TV's Brothers & Sisters, Canadian Luke Macfarlane plays a gay man in a serious relationship. In an exclusive interview, the 28-year-old actor talks about his character's trip to the altar, and why he's decided to go public with his own sexuality
PAMELA CHELIN

From Tuesday's Globe and Mail

April 15, 2008 at 4:12 AM EDT

LOS ANGELES — Next month, in the season finale of his hit television series Brothers & Sisters, Canadian actor Luke Macfarlane will dress his best and say his vows as his character, Scotty Wandell, marries his partner, Kevin Walker.

It's an episode the London, Ont.-born actor is looking forward to, on may levels: It's one of the few shows on network television to portray a gay marriage between two main characters - a feat the 28-year-old actor is quite proud of, from a professional perspective. But the episode also holds personal resonance for Macfarlane, who wants to be married himself some day, and has finally decided to go public with his own sexual orientation.

Though no secret to his family and close friends, Macfarlane has, until now, been guarded about his personal life as a gay man. Over lunch in Los Angeles, where he lives, he initially insists that he has no concerns about his public revelation - but a few seconds later he is shifting nervously in his chair, and concedes that he is "terrified."

"I don't know what will happen professionally ... that is the fear, but I guess I can't really be concerned about what will happen, because it's my truth.

Luke Macfarlane: ‘I can’t really be concerned about what will happen, because it’s my truth.’ (Ann Johansson for The Globe and Mail)

"There is this desire in L.A. to wonder who you are and what's been blaring for me for the last three years is how can I be most authentic to myself - so this is the first time I am speaking about it in this way."

The episode, which started shooting yesterday and will air on May 11 on ABC and Global, is a monumental step in television culture, he says.

"From a standing outside perspective, and also as someone who is gay, I think that it's a very exciting time. How exciting that we're saying, 'This can be part of the cultural fabric, now,' because it is two series regulars, two people that you invite into your home and you see every week. It's telling of the beginning of more waves and I'm very proud of that."He does, however, note that a certain irony still exists: While a show featuring a gay marriage may be an important step toward building tolerance, it's still an attention-grabber in today's television world.

"Most importantly, in portraying gay people, the more we realize it's just like portraying anybody else and, gay marriage, it's not about two people being gay, it's about two people who love each other and who have decided to commit to each other for the exact same reasons any other couple would get married. Hopefully, the more that becomes part of the cultural awareness it won't be," he pauses and says, employing a mock, exaggerated voice of a television announcer, "a spectacular Sunday episode."

Sitting on the patio of an exclusive Hollywood hotel, wearing a grey T-shirt and red jacket, Macfarlane says he does intend to keep a certain amount of his life private. Asked if he is currently in a relationship, his answer is quick: "That is my personal life. That is where I draw the difference." He does allow though, that he would like to be married some day.

Macfarlane's road to Hollywood was relatively smooth, and mostly free of bit parts and day jobs most struggling actors undergo. Growing up with two sisters (one of which is his fraternal twin), he attended London Central Secondary School, where he was interested in maths and sciences, briefly toiling with the thought of following in his father's footsteps and becoming a doctor. He spent his summers in Cedar Springs, Ont., exploring the wilderness with friends. At Lester B. Pearson School For The Arts, Macfarlane decided to change his course.

"I was in a band when I was in high school and I was bitten by the performance bug, if anything else. I had this notion that maybe I wanted to be an actor. ... I thought it might be a neat career. I thought if I was going to try that, I should shoot for the best and I auditioned for Julliard.

"I was the only Canadian at Juilliard at the time," he says. "When you go somewhere different, you immediately have to determine yourself ... everyone made fun of me because I was like, 'I am Canadian' and it was a way to create my identity through separation, which I think a lot of Canadians do. There's a kind of integrity to being an observer of a culture. I think Canadians have that privilege innately. We are like the observers of the American culture."

Barely out of Juilliard, he was cast in off-Broadway plays, the Robert Altman miniseries Tanner on Tanner, the 2004 film Kinsey and a starring role in the 2005 Steven Bochco television series Over There. It was his stint in theatre that landed him his current television role - Brothers & Sisters creator Jon Robin Baitz saw Macfarlane on stage in the show Where Do We Live, and asked him to play Scotty Wandell, originally a guest-starring role which grew into a regular part.

"Roles tend to pick me. That's sort of where I am in my career. I've always been very lucky, especially in TV, which is something that really interests me. ... I don't turn my nose up at it like a lot of people do. There are very few things that 13 million people tune in to witness, so television is a really relevant and powerful thing."

Though he will soon be seen in the CBC miniseries Iron Road alongside Peter O'Toole and Sam Neill, Macfarlane, has little free time to pursue other roles at the moment. "[ABC] bought and paid for me as a series regular," he says with a smile, "so I will be there for a long, long time."

Special to The Globe and Mail

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 10:10:01 am »
So Scotty really is gay.  How cool, I hope nothing but good comes to him for coming out.

This is one of my favorite shows too.  The first season Kevin's romance was with an actor who was in the closet, and the big roadblock to their relationship was that the actor didn't want people to know that he was gay.

The writers of this show have a BLOG.  I left a message on it that I was tired of gay romances where the main problem the guys faced was that they were gay.  I dared them to give Kevin a real romance with real problems.  And God bless them, this season they did it!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 03:51:04 pm »
Well he's not alone anymore, that's for sure.  Many actors on tv seem to be coming out as of late. Of course,  Neil Patrick Harris and David Hyde Pierce already have established themselves moreso then Luke MacFarlane.  Best of luck to him.

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2008, 02:55:21 pm »
Kevin and Scotty are getting married tonight in prime time.

OK, it's only a committment ceremony.  That's as close as we come to gay marriage in California.

But it's happenning in Primetime and hopefully more people will see that the idea is not that unusual and we're not kidding when we say we want to be able to get married.  What a great way to end the season!  ;D

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2008, 05:42:45 pm »
I don't have a television, so--someone please let me know about the Kevin-Scotty nuptuals!

In the meanwhile, I'll add:

http://justjared.buzznet.com/tags/luke-macfarlane/

Luke MacFarlane: I’m Gay

Tue, 15 April 2008

Canadian actor Luke MacFarlane reveals that he is gay in an exclusive interview with Canadian paper Globe and Mail.

“I don’t know what will happen professionally,” MacFarlane said. “That is the fear, but I guess I can’t really be concerned about what will happen, because it’s my truth. … There is this desire in L.A. to wonder who you are and what’s been blaring for me for the last three years is how can I be most authentic to myself - so this is the first time I am speaking about it in this way.”

In next month’s season finale of Brothers & Sisters, Luke, 28, will suit up and say his vows as his character, Scotty Wandell, marries his partner, Kevin Walker.

“From a standing outside perspective, and also as someone who is gay, I think that it’s a very exciting time,” MacFarlane said. “How exciting that we’re saying, ‘This can be part of the cultural fabric, now,’ because it is two series regulars, two people that you invite into your home and you see every week. It’s telling of the beginning of more waves and I’m very proud of that.”

When asked whether or not he was currently dating anyone, Luke declined to comment. And although Luke is not a paparazzi favorite, photogs did catch him hanging out with Prison Break hottie Wentworth Miller last summer.

Luke MacFarlane Steps Out with Wentworth Miller

Mon, 27 August 2007

Wentworth Miller hangs out actor pal Luke MacFarlane in Los Angeles on Saturday.

According to spywitnesses, the pair first avoided being photographed together, but eventually walked down the street together with a smile.

Wentworth, 35, and Luke, 27, started their day off together by visiting printing store Kinko’s, where the Prison Break star surfed the web.

Afterwards the pair grabbed some drinks from Starbucks and headed to a small art gallery in Culver City. Finally, Went and Luke went to the In-N-Out Burger drive-thru and called it a day.

MacFarlane is the ex-boyfriend of Grey’s Anatomy star TR Knight.

20+ pictures inside of Wentworth and Luke’s Saturday smiles…
http://justjared.buzznet.com/2007/08/27/luke-macfarlane-wentworth-miller/#more-19061
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

injest

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2008, 09:03:11 pm »
lort have mercy!!

they are cute as bugs!

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2008, 10:28:08 pm »

They ARE so cute!  :)

Hey, instead of a fake TV drama 'Commitment Ceremony,' maybe we might see the real thing one day!

Listen:
http://www.imeem.com/people/3PrdFN/music/2AeDH8BM/frank_sinatra_love_and_marriage/

Love and marriage, love and marriage,
Go together like a horse and carriage.
This I tell ya, brother, you can't have one without the other.

It's an institute you can't disparage.
Ask the local gentry and they will say it's elementary.

Try, try, try to separate them, it's an illusion.
Try, try, try and you only come to this conclusion:

Dad was told by mother you can't have one
You can't have none.
You can't have one without the other.

Try, try, try to separate them, it's an illusion.
Try, try, try and you only come to this conclusion:

Dad was told by mother you can't have one
(You can't have none.)
You can't have one without the other.

;)
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"