Author Topic: Real Country Music, Western Music, Rockabilly Music, etc. related to BbM  (Read 2917 times)

TJ

It seems that most of the music mentioned in various Brokeback Mountain discussion forum boards, inlcuding BetterMost has absolutely no connection to the kind of music which was mentioned in Annie Proulx's original short story and in the McMurtry/Ossana screenplay adaptation or even in Ang Lee's Movie version.

Sure, lyrics to many music genres can remind a person of something was in the movie or the story; but, why not talk about the kind of music which we think that Ennis Del Mar and Jack Twist would have not only listened to but even sang when they were together on Brokeback Mountain?

I like Ray Benson and Asleep At The Wheel.  Benson's music style is very much like that of Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys of the 1930s and 1940s.

I had forgotten that I had purchased the "Asleep At The Wheel Remembers The Alamo" CD sometime ago and today when I was looking for a Gospel Music CD to play on my new player connected with my 25 year old stereo, I saw that in was still wrapped in cellophane.

I did play my cousin's "The Glory Road Traveller" Country/Western style Gospel CD first. The pic on the front of the case reminds me of Brokeback Mountain with Jerry John Ott standing in a meadow with mountain peaks in the back ground.

And then I listened to the "Alamo" one next.

One of the songs on the "Alamo" CD is "Ballad of the Alamo" which was originally recorded by Marty Robbins. The song was written for "The Alamo" movie starring John Wayne in 1960.

Ennis and Jack could have seen that movie and even knew the words to the song, too. Since Robbins' most popular style of music was Western Ballads.

TJ

Another song which makes me think of BbM and Jack and Ennis is "I Want To Be A Cowboy's Sweetheart."

It was originally recorded, so I heard, by Patsy Montana. But, at the Rawhide in North Hollywood, I heard the song when there was live bands on the weekends in the 1980s.