Author Topic: All Things Sci-Fi and Fantasy  (Read 89561 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: All Things Sci-Fi and Fantasy
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 01:20:16 am »
I saw this thread just now and had to chime in as an old Trekkie and one who really enjoys sci-fi.  I was in high school when the original Star Trek came out and was immediately in love with the series and got a big crush on Spock.  Thanks to the millions of repeats over the years, each episode is like an old friend.  One of my favorites is "The Immunity Syndrome," where they were being pulled inexorably to their deaths by a giant amoeba-like organism.  Then of course there is "Amok Time" and "The Trouble with Tribbles" and on and on.... ;D  When I moved to NYC in the early 70's, I went to a couple of conventions and got to see virtually all of the cast up close.  What a thrill that was!  8)

Have any of you been watching "Tin Man" on the Sci Fi Channel last night and tonight?  I peeked into this forum to see if anyone had started a topic on it.  I think it's really well done and a fascinating take on the characters from "The Wizard of Oz."  It ends tomorrow night, but I'm sure it will be repeated and probably come out on DVD eventually.  I haven't ever read the original book, but I may see if I can find it just to see how it differs from the Hollywood movie and this version.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 01:31:55 am »
I didn't get to watch "Tin Man" but I look forward to the inevitable DVD. Like you I attended several Trek Conventions thru the years. I still go to sci-fi cons and plan to go up to Calgary next year for the world fantasy con.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 02:44:15 am »
Thanks for the info on the convention, brokeplex.  I'm afraid I'm only a dabbler when it come to being up on current sci-fi novels.  You must read quite a bit if you go to the conventions.  Who are some of your favorite authors?

You'll love being in Brokeback country!  I hope you plan to stay on for a little while after the convention, because there's an awful lot of beautiful country and filming sites to see.  Have you looked at the Alberta Pilgrimage forum?  We covered quite a bit of ground when we were up there in July.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 10:58:08 am »
Thanks for the info on the convention, brokeplex.  I'm afraid I'm only a dabbler when it come to being up on current sci-fi novels.  You must read quite a bit if you go to the conventions.  Who are some of your favorite authors?

You'll love being in Brokeback country!  I hope you plan to stay on for a little while after the convention, because there's an awful lot of beautiful country and filming sites to see.  Have you looked at the Alberta Pilgrimage forum?  We covered quite a bit of ground when we were up there in July.  8)

I go up to Montana every summer to get away from the Texas frying pan. I love the N. Rockies! I look forward to doing a little pilgrimage in the Calgary area.

My all time fav Sci-fi author is Larry Niven. Last report, he is still around, goes to conventions and gives lectures. I am working on an adaptation of his shared universe anthology the"Man-Kzin Wars" for the screen. So far the various authors of the series seem to like what I have offered. I hope one day to see it glowing in your local movie theater. Because of CGI it is now very likely that a good adaptation of the series can be made, I just hope to be a part of the mix.

keep sharing!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 04:11:34 pm »
Brokeplex, that is so very cool that you're seriously working on a screen adaptation of Larry Niven's work!  Good luck in that endeavor.  I hope I see it on the screen someday, too.  I'll keep an eye out for his books next time I'm at the bookstore.

Two of my favorite sci-fi authors are Kim Stanley Robinson (Mars trilogy) and Ursula Le Guin (Earthsea and Hain universes).
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 10:28:40 am »
yes, the Robinson Mars trilogy really set the pace for serious hard science fiction novels about terraforming. I like LeGuin as well, I notice some of the 'hard science' folks don't. When I read Leguin, I have to put on a different hat so to speak, and read it differently than I would read say Larry Niven, or Poul Anderson. Her works set in that fantastic future universe, seem to touch the fringes of fantasy.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2007, 02:08:14 pm »
yes, the Robinson Mars trilogy really set the pace for serious hard science fiction novels about terraforming. I like LeGuin as well, I notice some of the 'hard science' folks don't. When I read Leguin, I have to put on a different hat so to speak, and read it differently than I would read say Larry Niven, or Poul Anderson. Her works set in that fantastic future universe, seem to touch the fringes of fantasy.

I'm glad to hear you like Ursula LeGuin, what with your being more of a 'hard science' fancier.  In her books I learn more about politics, power and morality than I do about technology.  I was kind of surprised at how much I liked the technological aspect of KSR's Mars books.  He integrated the science with the story so well that it was a pleasure to learn it along the way.  I hope I find the same quality in Larry Niven's books.  Which one would you recommend I read first?
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2007, 02:34:00 pm »
Well I saw THE JANE AUSTEN BOOK CLUB and the one male member in the book group is a sci-fi reader and he keeps telling them to read Ursula Leguin, much to the chagrin of the other bookgroup members.   ;)   I think one of the members finally reads one of her books and tell him she actually liked it.

I've got a copy of THE DISPOSSESED from the 1970's.  I've never finished it, but I've kept it around because I like the bookcover artwork.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2007, 02:40:19 pm »
Ha, that's funny, Karl!  I think the screenwriters are onto something there.  I've read every bit of Jane Austen I can get my hands on, and the same goes for Ursula Leguin.  Maybe it's a female thing?  ;)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2007, 01:06:06 am »
I'm glad to hear you like Ursula LeGuin, what with your being more of a 'hard science' fancier.  In her books I learn more about politics, power and morality than I do about technology.  I was kind of surprised at how much I liked the technological aspect of KSR's Mars books.  He integrated the science with the story so well that it was a pleasure to learn it along the way.  I hope I find the same quality in Larry Niven's books.  Which one would you recommend I read first?

For Larry Niven a good start is the "Man-Kzin Wars" series, there are in volume XI right now. Like much of what LeGuin writes it is future history, just not so far into the future as Leguin. Start with volume # 1, which will start you on the journey into Niven's "known universe" as mankind confronts the Kzinti. I'll give you a hint: the Kzinti are intelligent felinoids, if you are a cat lover like me....you will love this series. The conflict with the Kzinti is brutal, too put it mildly, so be prepared for a little sci-fi gore. If that isn't your style, go to the "Tales of Gil the Arm", set in the same future history as M-K wars, just a century earlier, before the Kzinti arrived and destroyed the long peace................. I hope I've got you interested.