Author Topic: All Things Sci-Fi and Fantasy  (Read 89560 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: All Things Sci-Fi and Fantasy
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2008, 04:25:35 pm »
Hey, brokeplex, I just wanted to let you know I finished the first "Man-Kzin Wars" book and really liked it.  I didn't understand all the science, of course, but that's not a real obstacle to enjoying the stories.  The kzinti are fascinating, as are the ways the humans overcome their disadvantages when facing off with them. 

The only thing I wonder about is how similar they are physically to humans.  What do their hands look like?  Are they like cat claws, or are they more like human hands with retractable claws?  It seems more likely they could better achieve all those technological advances with the latter.  The authors of the stories seemed to largely leave it up to the reader to fill in the blanks.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2008, 04:36:04 pm »
Sure is good to hear from you again!

The Kzinti have  four digited hands with an opposable thumbs. Their reflexes are much quicker than humans and they have more control over their hind paws and its digits than do humans. They write with a stylus that make points, commas and slashes somewhat akin to what a feline would do with their claws.

go to the web site under larry niven that I shared with you earlier, it goes into great detail about the Kzinti language and culture.

I will post back to you later tonight, I have to take D.L. to the house he is working on. He is still on crutches so he cant drive with a cast on his foot.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the story, I will be happy to share any insights that I may have developed after years of reading these stories.

Bill 

Offline Artiste

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2008, 10:37:04 pm »
Do you collect items, such ones brokeplex?

Anyone here does?

Hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2008, 12:50:29 am »
by "items" do you mean action figures?

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2008, 11:29:31 pm »
reread them they are great, I met with Card at a con in Austin a while back and got his autographs on the series. He has an interesting web site. google "orson scott card" and look at the site, he is also heavily involved in political issues.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2008, 10:52:17 pm »
I had forgotten about Card's Mormon background.  I think I knew about it, but that was before my own (academic) fascination with the Mormon church.  My husband turned my on to Card originally and has read maybe 15 of his books, which are all sitting on my shelf.  Any other recommendations?  That is cool that you have met Card.

Card recommendations? The Ender series is still up and running! Read them all.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2008, 12:05:07 am »
Yes, yes, I will plan on it.  I wish I had the mental bandwidth to read several books at one time.  I can't wait for the day when we are able to download books directly into our brains - cut out the middle man.

then you might enjoy a discussion of that type of technology in Larry Niven's "Known Space" series. Some people in his alternate future worlds have drouds placed at the base of their necks which allow the transfer of direct electronic information. I am very partial to Larry Niven's works, as you can see from my earlier posts on this thread.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2008, 07:02:50 pm »

Offline Artiste

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2008, 09:05:27 pm »
Is it Fantasy started by the USA? Since the USA might have destroyed space vehicle, as no choice to do so, remember lately?

Or is it Sci-Fi?

Last week, there was what seems more that one meteriotes near here? Many saw.

Have you or any heard?

Hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2008, 05:13:55 pm »

www.startrekmovie.com

the new Star Trek movie, Star Trek XI that premiers this year, has a web site with a forum. I have been over on the forum and it has really great sci-fi discussions, and a few current events topics as well.

you can also find some very interesting spoilers of the new actors playing Kirk and Spock as young men at the Academy.

WOW, they are hot and handsome!  ;D

go see what you think of it,  and add a few of your comments to the Star Trek Movie forum.