Author Topic: Is anger or otherwise more important in the BM movie?  (Read 2558 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Is anger or otherwise more important in the BM movie?
« on: December 19, 2007, 07:57:30 pm »
Is anger or otherwise more important in the BM movie?

Much can be said!!

Be delighted to get your comments,

hugs!!

Merry Christmas and Gay Holidays to all on Bettermost and elsewhere in the world, and many hugs too!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Is anger or otherwise more important in the BM movie?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 10:58:36 pm »
My first reaction is to say that, yes, anger played an important role in the movie/story. It was because of anger that Ennis and Jack parted after they came down from the mountain. It was because of anger that they clashed with their families. It was because of anger that they had the confrontation at the lake. And it was because of anger that Jack ultimately died.

But, what is anger? When you strip away the trimmings, anger is fear.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 11:01:09 am »
Thanks Front-Ranger!

I agree with you.

Is anger only fear? Is it not also something else... as in many things?

Hugs!Merry, Merry, Merry Christmas and Gay Holidays to you and to all on Bettermost, and  on earth and in heaven!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 10:49:30 am »
Primarily, yes. We are animals and the fear instinct is powerfully ingrained in animals to help us survive. Both as individuals and as a species. So the primitive parts of our brains have a tendency to take over whenever there is a threat of any kind. And when presented with anything different, collectively we have the tendency to respond with condemnation, which is anger (which is fear). We can even become fearful of our own selves, turning upon ourselves.

My belief is that there are really only two emotions, fear and love. I believe in the existence of love though I think it is rare.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 05:38:09 pm »
Thanks Front-Ranger!

You sau that: My belief is that there are really only two emotions, fear and love. I believe in the existence of love though I think it is rare!

May I say say to that: wow!! That is very powerful what you say!! I will re-read that often. Must confess, that I do not understand all of it!! Maybe you can add more?

Hugs!! Merry Christmas... Happy Holidays to you, your family and friends Front-Ranger!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 05:39:55 pm »
May I repeat: Is anger or otherwise more important in the BM movie?

Or is it something else, like the opposite?

Reward are your comments,

hugs!!   Happy Gay Holidays to all... on Bettermost and on Earth!!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 09:44:00 pm »
What questions are you trying to ask Artiste?

1) Are you asking, does anger play a more important role in the "Brokeback" story and film than in most other comparable dramas?

or,

2) Are you asking what role does anger play in "Brokeback" specifically?

Before I would procede with a meaningful response, I would need your take on this question:

What role do you specifically feel that anger plays in the unfolding of this story and film?

Don't hesitate to offer quotations from the short story, or scenes from the film substantiating your comment.

Offline myprivatejack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Little darlin´
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 11:16:59 am »
My first reaction is to say that, yes, anger played an important role in the movie/story. It was because of anger that Ennis and Jack parted after they came down from the mountain. It was because of anger that they clashed with their families. It was because of anger that they had the confrontation at the lake. And it was because of anger that Jack ultimately died.

But, what is anger? When you strip away the trimmings, anger is fear.

Wonderful post,Front-Ranger¡ I'd only  disagree in that Jack dies because of hate and intolerance...And I'd add that anger plays  an important role in Ennis case,because IMO is a consequence of his fears,and therefore,of his frustrations.Even of his silences,the things he never said when he must say them,words that became pain inside him and turned into violence explosion.I remember,for example,when  he said nothing to a hopeful Jack who drove a thousand kms. after his divorce;or when he said nothing in return to the words of a less hopeful Jack:Sometimes I miss you so much that I can hardly stand it".If these  reactions had not put anger in Ennis soul,story would have been different,I think.
I like your silences,quiet conversations of evident sensations,where our words are life´s tinsels.
The lost illusions are the found truths.