Author Topic: What Are Your Thoughts on Egg Nog?  (Read 30011 times)

moremojo

Re: What Are Your Thoughts on Egg Nog?
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 11:41:30 am »
I do not like egg nog...at ALL. Tried it for the first time when I was a little boy, and found it absolutely foul. Have stayed away from it ever since.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 11:44:46 am »
Chrissi, here's a recipe:
If I made it, I would use homogenized eggs to avoid risk of salmonella. In practice, I usually just drink store-bought. I only have it once a year -- while trimming the Christmas tree, with alcohol. It's delicious.

Homogenized eggs?  :o
Never heard of such a thing. I googled it (the German words for it), and sure enough, nothing came up. The raw eggs in the recipes are exactly what makes me hesitate  :-\. Otherwise I would have tried it already.
But thanks for the recipe anyway  :-*.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 11:48:53 am »
Yes, pasteurized egg nog is often the preference for people who are really worried about the eggs in egg nog.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 12:10:59 pm »
I'm puzzeled about "homogenized eggs," too. Is that like Egg Beaters?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 12:39:59 pm »
Oh, I'm so sorry! I meant pasteurized eggs. (I knew it was something ending in "ize."  ::)) Pasteurized eggs are safe to eat raw. They taste just like regular eggs, though are a little more expensive. They're in the grocery store near the regular eggs.

Here's a brief article about them, if you're not familiar with them:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1272/is_n2611_v124/ai_18232465

Egg Beaters or other "egg product" would also work, though might not be as good.

This is probably more than you wanted to know, but whenever I make scrambled eggs -- which is often -- I make half real egg and half Egg Beaters. They're perfectly good. But pure Egg Beaters aren't that good, IMO.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2007, 12:58:51 pm »
I voted - I love it with alcohol in it.
That's the only way I enjoy it!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 12:59:48 pm »
Oh, I'm so sorry! I meant pasteurized eggs. (I knew it was something ending in "ize."  ::)) Pasteurized eggs are safe to eat raw. They taste just like regular eggs, though are a little more expensive. They're in the grocery store near the regular eggs.

Guess what!  :laugh:

Yep, pasteurized eggs are unknown here, too. You can't buy them in the supermarket. But it's ok.
I think I will just add alcohol to it, then it's not for the children anyway  ;D. I am not worried about raw eggs as long as my kids don't eat/drink it.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 01:04:00 pm »
Thanks for the clarification, Katherine.

I think I agree with you about Egg Beaters. My dad uses them because he has cholesterol issues. He's made me scrambled eggs using them, and between the Egg Beaters, and using PAM cooking spray in the frying pan ...  :P .
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2007, 01:32:04 pm »
Chrissi, there are packaged egg nogs that are-pasteurized, and since I don't know no different, they taste good to me.  The idea of raw eggs is pretty gaggy to me. 

I know this probably won't get much enthusiasm, but the last three or so years, I've been buying an aseptic carton or two of vegan egg nog and we like that well enough.  It's a once or twice a Christmas season thing for me.

Anyway, Chrissi, my guess is you would like it, if you like the flavors of German Christmas cookies - plenty of nutmeg and cinnamon.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2007, 01:33:41 pm »
Chrissi, here's a recipe:

Katherine, good to see you're having a nice, uneventful, relaxing day, perfect for posting recipes.  :)