Author Topic: What Are Your Thoughts on Egg Nog?  (Read 30028 times)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: What Are Your Thoughts on Egg Nog?
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2007, 10:50:52 am »
I love it -- it's very rich, so I'm glad that I can get it only during the holidays around here, or I'd probably drink too much and get sick of it. As it is -- just for holiday time ---- YUMMY!!
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2007, 11:52:04 am »

Wow Chrissi!  Thanks for sharing the pictures and info about your baking house!  Really interesting looking structure... It's amazing the new things we learn about one another all the time.
 8)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2007, 12:29:38 pm »
Egg nog is a complete mystery to me. Do you just mix the milk and the eggs, the alcohol (if you want any) and the spices and that's it? Without using any heat?  Do you use an electric blender?

:-\  :-\
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2007, 01:41:37 pm »
Well, following ineedcrayon's earlier example, I did some quick googling and discovered that there are really tons of variations on how to make egg nog.

I'm copying a particularly extensive recipe from Food Network's website (the link to the website where I found this recipe quoted below is http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_32424,00.html ).  This recipe goes into some thorough description and gives different alternatives for preparations

4 egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
1 pint whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
3 ounces bourbon
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
4 egg whites*

In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the 1/3 cup sugar and continue to beat until it is completely dissolved. Add the milk, cream, bourbon and nutmeg and stir to combine.

Place the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat to soft peaks. With the mixer still running gradually add the 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
Whisk the egg whites into the mixture. Chill and serve.

Cook's Note: For cooked eggnog, follow procedure below.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the 1/3 cup sugar and continue to beat until it is completely dissolved. Set aside.

In a medium saucepan, over high heat, combine the milk, heavy cream and nutmeg and bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and gradually temper the hot mixture into the egg and sugar mixture. Then return everything to the pot and cook until the mixture reaches 160 degrees F. Remove from the heat, stir in the bourbon, pour into a medium mixing bowl, and set in the refrigerator to chill.

In a medium mixing bowl, beat the egg whites to soft peaks. With the mixer running gradually add the 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Whisk the egg whites into the chilled mixture.

*RAW EGG WARNING
Food Network Kitchens suggest caution in consuming raw and lightly-cooked eggs due to the slight risk of Salmonella or other food-borne illness. To reduce this risk, we recommend you use only fresh, properly-refrigerated, clean, grade A or AA eggs with intact shells, and avoid contact between the yolks or whites and the shell.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2007, 01:43:10 pm »
Egg nog is a complete mystery to me. Do you just mix the milk and the eggs, the alcohol (if you want any) and the spices and that's it? Without using any heat?  Do you use an electric blender?

I don't know, Fabienne, I just buy it in a container that looks like this:

I'm not familiar with that actual brand, but I chose it because it has a picture on the container of what a cup of egg nog typically looks like.  The brown stuff on the top of the liquid in the cup is powdered nutmeg.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2007, 03:06:25 pm »

Hi Fabienne!  I've never used heat; rather everything is well chilled.  Also, I just use an ordinary whisk.  I prefer it without the egg whites.  Freshly grated nutmeg on top.  Yum.  I'd rather have a little of the real stuff, than a lot of the fake stuff.

IMO, 3 ounces of bourbon is stingy.  8)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2007, 03:54:23 pm »
Thanks for all the egg nog advise guys! I'll definitely try it out and let you know what it tastes like.  :)

And I promise not to be stingy with the booze Paul!  ;D ::)

btw, I think it's wonderful to have all these very traditional foods and drinks. We don't have that over here. For instance, we've celebrated Christmas at my in laws for many years now and we always have fondue...it's nice but not really christmassy.

Enjoy Thanksgiving!
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2007, 11:05:02 pm »

Heya!

I'm here to report that I had my first 2 glasses of egg nog for the season yesterday at my parents' house while we were putting up the Christmas tree.  It was store-bought and pasteurized.  They got it from some kind of gourmet store... so it wasn't regular grocery store egg nog.  It was very tasty... this time I didn't put alcohol in it and it came with nutmeg already in it.  I'm sure I'll have lots more as the season goes along...
8)

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2007, 10:16:00 am »
Here's my all-time favorite eggnog -- it has a homemade cream-eggs-spice taste, none of the corn syrup flavor and texture you often get with storebought eggnogs. Despite the name, it's non-alcoholic

Have never cared for whiskey or brandy in eggnog personally -- the tastes just seem to clash somehow. But I do like this one with liqueurs like Kahlua.

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2007, 06:46:55 pm »
I like Egg Nog.  It's been a Christmastime tradition for me ever since I was little girl.  I drink the kind that comes in a container, and I usually thin it down by making a 2/3 egg nog to 1/3 reduced fat milk.  I may add nutmeg and drink it cold.. MMmmm its really good.