Author Topic: What Are Your Thoughts on Egg Nog?  (Read 30043 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: What Are Your Thoughts on Egg Nog?
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2007, 11:42:01 pm »
Here's my all-time favorite eggnog -- it has a homemade cream-eggs-spice taste, none of the corn syrup flavor and texture you often get with storebought eggnogs. Despite the name, it's non-alcoholic

Have never cared for whiskey or brandy in eggnog personally -- the tastes just seem to clash somehow. But I do like this one with liqueurs like Kahlua.

Hey Marge!

So, I took your advice and tonight I bought some of the exact egg nog you pictured in your post!   ;D  I just had a glass with a splash of Jack Daniels in it.  Very tasty.  The vanilla spice idea sounded nice.  I usually really don't like Southern Comfort as a liquor... but I can actually imagine it might taste really good in this egg nog.  I could see how Southern Comfort could have a really "holiday flavor" if mixed with egg nog.  Normally I think Southern Comfort is too sweet.

I bet this egg nog tastes nice plain too... but I haven't tried it that way yet.

Thanks for the recommendation!
 8)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2007, 03:15:25 am »
It sounds good to me, too. And Southern Comfort is an interesting possibility in eggnog.

Once, in high school, my friends and I spent an evening drinking a cocktail we'd heard about somewhere or other: Southern Comfort and Dr Pepper.

That, I cannot recommend.

:P :-X :P

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2007, 12:48:32 pm »
Once, in high school, my friends and I spent an evening drinking a cocktail we'd heard about somewhere or other: Southern Comfort and Dr Pepper.

Oh. my. God.  You've gotta love the spirit of adventure (and idiocy) that is High School.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2007, 09:46:04 pm »

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :-X

If we've exhausted egg nog, I wonder if there is enough interest or controversy to discuss another holiday favorite of mine, hot spiced apple cider?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2007, 10:02:43 pm »
If we've exhausted egg nog, I wonder if there is enough interest or controversy to discuss another holiday favorite of mine, hot spiced apple cider?

Sure! I love that, too. To me, that's more of an earlier fall drink -- apple season is the prime time. It has to be that cloudy unpasteurized cider, and to me it is -- of course -- made all the better by a shot of brandy.

And while we're on the hot-drink subject, I also love mulled wine.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2007, 10:03:12 pm »
:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :-X

Hot apple cider sounds like a great topic!  Mulled wine too!  Why don't you start a thread?
 :D

The topic of egg nog may indeed prove endless!  ;)

**D'oh!  Katherine's post came in as I was writing this... ** ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2007, 10:44:00 pm »
Even the thought of eggnog turns my stomach, but I remember with fondness the apple cider my friend Chuck brought from an Amish grocery in Ohio.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2007, 11:38:31 pm »

Egg nog is unknown in Australia, where I live. However, I have heard it mentioned in American films and TV shows and wondered what it was. After reading this thread, I am tempted to make my own egg nog this Christmas. It will definitely be the alcoholic variety!  ;)  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2007, 03:18:04 am »
Even the thought of eggnog turns my stomach, but I remember with fondness the apple cider my friend Chuck brought from an Amish grocery in Ohio.

This is the fascinating thing about egg nog to me (and part of the reason that I started the poll).  I know tons of people absolutely hate it.  And, for much of my youth I couldn't drink it at all I thought it was so disgusting.

But!  Now, I totally love it.  I guess I grew out of my earlier feelings about it or acquired a taste for it or something.

Egg nog is unknown in Australia, where I live. However, I have heard it mentioned in American films and TV shows and wondered what it was. After reading this thread, I am tempted to make my own egg nog this Christmas. It will definitely be the alcoholic variety!  ;)  :D

This is also interesting in this thread to learn how much egg nog seems to be an American tradition.  Is it a big part of Christmas traditions anywhere else?  It may be interesting to do some research into how this drink became such a tradition in the U.S.  I know other countries have their own really traditional Christmas drinks.  One of my Mom's best friends is Swedish and she always has Glögg on hand at Christmas (which is something I'd never had before my Mom got to know her friend when I was a teenager)

So, for those of use who like our egg nog spiked... maybe we really should discuss the best liquor to compliment it.
I've tried brandy, whiskey and rum.  I think I like brandy the best in egg nog because brandy produces the biggest sensation of heat (at least for me anyway) and I really like that with egg nog.  I'm now curious to try Southern Comfort with it... but I won't go so far as to buy a whole bottle of Southern Comfort (because I really don't like it as a general rule).  Maybe one day I'll buy one of those mini-bar bottles of it and try it in the egg nog.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2007, 03:41:05 am »

Well I dont think you want my thoughts placed here....yukkk.               :-X

Beautiful mind