Author Topic: What Are Your Thoughts on Egg Nog?  (Read 30090 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: What Are Your Thoughts on Egg Nog?
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2007, 12:26:33 am »
I just went over to the McDonald's website (something I've never done before!) and I honestly couldn't really tell if it's on the menu at the moment or not.  I'm guessing it probably is.

The only place I could find it listed was in their section on nutrition and ingredients.  They list vanilla, chocolate and strawberry flavors and then tagged onto the end of each of these lists of ingredients it says something about egg products being included when egg nog shakes are available.

It's bizarrely difficult to find a section on their current menu options.  Or maybe I'm just doing something wrong or overlooking something...  ::) ;D

I love milk shakes in general!  I also like McDonald's soft serve ice cream.  But, I rarely, rarely go to McDonald's.  One of the only times I allow myself to go to McDonald's is at the airport.  I allow myself to indulge in junk food as a treat for putting up with the hassle of the airport routine.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2007, 12:51:48 am »
Can't say for sure about McDonald's. But that reminds me of how when I lived in New Orleans we used to get eggnog daiquiris. In N.O., you can get daiquiris to go and then walk around the streets with them (heck, you can get them at a drive-thru window!). So it was fun now and then to walk around the French Quarter, drinking an eggnog daiquiri and doing your Christmas shopping. Sure took the edge off the holiday shopping hassles!

That certainly does sound great.  Viva New Orleans!   I didn't know you lived there, Katherine.  BetterMostians are always surprising me with these nuggets from their past.  :)

I just went over to the McDonald's website (something I've never done before!) and I honestly couldn't really tell if it's on the menu at the moment or not.  I'm guessing it probably is.

Thanks, Amanda!  Knowing you, you won't rest til you find out.  Maybe I'll peek in the local McDonald's this week and see if they have it.  :D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2007, 01:30:24 pm »
I always used brandy until my husband introduced me to rum, and now I think I slightly prefer that because it interferes less with the flavor of the eggnog. Whiskey doesn't sound as good to me, because that seems like it would clash even more with normal eggnog flavor. But I think it's a good idea to get a bunch of those little bottles and try different things. Other possibilities: vodka, kaluha, amaretto, tequilla (OK, just kidding about tequilla) ...

You might also try Bailey's Irish Cream and a very potent chocolate liqueur that Godiva makes.  Awesome stuff on a cold night!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2007, 12:58:22 pm »
Okay, so I've finished decorating the christmas tree, and it was time to get this 'egg nog' thing going...

Catherine, i used your recipe (after i converted ounces and pints to grams and liters  ::)) and this is what came out!

It's dead easy to make. I added the nutmeg and went with your suggestion to use Amaretto. And Paul, I wasn't stingy with the booze...

And what can I say?

Yummy!  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2007, 09:00:18 pm »
Okay, so I've finished decorating the christmas tree, and it was time to get this 'egg nog' thing going...

Catherine, i used your recipe (after i converted ounces and pints to grams and liters  ::)) and this is what came out!

It's dead easy to make. I added the nutmeg and went with your suggestion to use Amaretto. And Paul, I wasn't stingy with the booze...

And what can I say?

Yeehaw!!!  I'm so excited that this discussion here inspired you to try making egg nog!!  And, of course, I'm really, really glad you like it.  :D :-*

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2007, 11:10:03 pm »

And what can I say?

That up there looks like egg nog to me Fabienne! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've never tried to make my own egg nog before. I always buy it at the store. I'll try making my own at least one time this Christmas season, because your egg nog looks so yummy Fabienne! Much better looking than the store varieties. :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2007, 03:12:38 am »
I've never even tried it with Amaretto myself, but I'm glad it worked out! I bet that would be good.

We went through about a gallon and a half of store-bought eggnog this weekend. The gallon was from a local creamery, and was really good. The half was from Target, but not bad either. I had mine with pretty good dark rum. The kids had theirs plain (of course).

All in all, a good experience, except:

I gained three pounds. That is a BIG eggnog downside.

I think next I will try making my own, possibly with low-fat or even fat-free milk.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2007, 03:45:36 am »
I'm not surprised at the weight gain, Katherine.  I was about to buy a quart of the lowfat eggnog today, but 1/2 cup was 140 calories!  I knew I'd drink at least 2 cups of the stuff at a pop, plus liquor.  So I left it there on the shelf.  Sigh.  :(
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2007, 06:07:46 am »
Can't say for sure about McDonald's. But that reminds me of how when I lived in New Orleans we used to get eggnog daiquiris. In N.O., you can get daiquiris to go and then walk around the streets with them (heck, you can get them at a drive-thru window!). So it was fun now and then to walk around the French Quarter, drinking an eggnog daiquiri and doing your Christmas shopping. Sure took the edge off the holiday shopping hassles!

When I lived in Mississippi, we used to drive over the bridge into Louisiana and go through a drive-thru that sold mixed drinks in styrofoam cups with lids.  Unbelievable.  Not drink and drive?  You couldn't get the drink unless you were driving.

Fabienne, good work on the egg nog.  It looks right to me.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2007, 10:07:09 am »
When I lived in Mississippi, we used to drive over the bridge into Louisiana and go through a drive-thru that sold mixed drinks in styrofoam cups with lids.  Unbelievable.  Not drink and drive?  You couldn't get the drink unless you were driving.

Yes, it was while I lived there, in the '90s, that the city of New Orleans passed an ordinance making it illegal to actually be drinking while you were driving. Yet the drive-thru daiquiri shops stayed open. Those wacky Louisianans!  :laugh:

Well, it was still perfectly legal to drink while driving outside of New Orleans and maybe a few other Louisiana cities. Maybe you were supposed to drive through, buy your daiquiri, pull over, stash it in the trunk, drive outside of city limits, pull over again, get it out, get back in the driver's seat, and enjoy!!