Author Topic: Disaster!  (Read 9798 times)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
Disaster!
« on: November 21, 2007, 05:40:27 pm »
Just thought I'd share with y'all a little bit of what is going on in my community.
Our Major water source is Lake Sidney Lanier.
It has 752 miles of shoreline, 39,000 acres under water with a a depth of about 200ft int he deepest part of the lake. At Full Pool the lake is 1071ft above sea level. Today we are at 1050ft above sea level.
Current reports have us at less than 81 days of drinking water for the metro Atlanta Area. Folks, thats over 3 million people. However, the lake is evaporating at a rate of two weeks ahead of the predictions so everything is going to have to be re-calculated.
I'm attaching some pictures of the lake or whats left of it.
The first pic is when it was full. The rest let you see whats left.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: Disaster!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 05:43:27 pm »
wow Lee, thats no good.... & some people say there is no such thing as global warming  :-\
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 05:48:25 pm »
That's hard. I have friends in TN who live on a lake -- they have also had a drought to the point of moving boats out of docks because the water is too low to float them. Their vegetable garden died; not sure it's affecting their drinking water supply tho. Here's hoping and praying for rain--lots of it--for your region, Lee.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 06:11:31 pm »
I've been watching this on the news. Parts of the South are in big trouble if there isn't some rain soon. They need several weeks of steady soaking rains but not heavy rain as this would likely cause flash flooding due to the overly dry ground.

I love Georgia and I hate to see something like this happening. I hate to see it happen to anyone. It's currently raining here in Indianapolis. Maybe some of it will drift in Georgia's direction.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 06:23:55 pm »
I've been watching this on the news. Parts of the South are in big trouble if there isn't some rain soon. They need several weeks of steady soaking rains but not heavy rain as this would likely cause flash flooding due to the overly dry ground.

I love Georgia and I hate to see something like this happening. I hate to see it happen to anyone. It's currently raining here in Indianapolis. Maybe some of it will drift in Georgia's direction.
Actually we are supposed to get some over the next day or two. However it's not going to matter.
On the news last night we would have to get a rain of 4-6 inches spread out over a few days for it to even be noticeable.
That would give us enough to soak in and some runoff into strams and tributaries of the lake. Right now anything less than that won't make it below the surface of the ground.
Right now we are almost 2ft below where we shuuld be for the year. I'm not quite sure how that is converted to the lake measurements though. The lake is down like 18ft!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 02:37:26 am »

I have been watching this whole thing since the beginning..  It is so very scary.  I have been hoping for you
to get some rain for a long long time ..  It is getting dire now...we will continue to pray that you have some
soon.       >:(               >:(

Beautiful mind

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 09:29:39 am »
Well I aint never!
So as I stated earlier, we were supposed to get a spattering of rain over the next few days. According to the weatherman nothing more than a few sprinkles or drizzle at best. Well when I turned onthe news this morning, the forcast has changed! We are expecting SIGNIFICANT rains for the next week!
Kind of strange this change happened after I posted here about our drought!
Thank you all for the prayers and good thoughts! It seems to be working so keep it up! LOL
Coincidence, I think not.
Hey if our collective conciousness can impact the weather, lets shoot for world peace next!  ;D

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 11:13:58 am »
Well I aint never!
So as I stated earlier, we were supposed to get a spattering of rain over the next few days. According to the weatherman nothing more than a few sprinkles or drizzle at best. Well when I turned onthe news this morning, the forcast has changed! We are expecting SIGNIFICANT rains for the next week!
Kind of strange this change happened after I posted here about our drought!
Thank you all for the prayers and good thoughts! It seems to be working so keep it up! LOL
Coincidence, I think not.
Hey if our collective conciousness can impact the weather, lets shoot for world peace next!  ;D

Brokies + God = one powerful combination, Lee! Plus -- you've been living right evidently.  ;D  Ummm...wellllll.....someone in GA has been living right surely!!  ;)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 06:28:27 pm »
Didn't you know that our mayor Phillip is actually god!?!

PS - Lee have you seen this new forum? http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/board,82.0.html
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 04:25:47 pm »
What's the status in Georgia these days, Richard? Have you all received any rain there yet?

I continue to keep my fingers crossed for Gerogia. :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.