Author Topic: Happy THanksgiving!  (Read 220495 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: Happy THanksgiving!
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2008, 10:34:43 pm »
We had me, Mr. Meno, MiniMeno, 5 of my in laws, and a beloved friend.  We have a vegetarian household, but on Thanksgiving, my sister in law makes and brings the turkey and turkey gravy.  She also brought the stuffing, the rolls, and chocolate sauce.  I made mashed Yukon Gold potatoes, my world class golden gravy with mushrooms, green beans, and served "boughten" tapenade and crackers, raw veggies, pumpkin pie, berry pie, and a couple of ice creams.  Pretty easy.  I served it all buffet style.  I also, for the first time in my life, I think, wrapped a fork and knife in a napkin for each person to take at the end of the buffet line.  I found it very fun to wrap them up ahead of time, and don't know why I haven't ever done it before.

We mostly just talked when not eating, but did have a pretty good time playing a kid version of charades for a while.  They stayed three hours, and it felt like it flew by, I was sorry to see them leave.  A darned good enough Thanksgiving.

Elle, two things.  First, what's your world-class golden gravy??  Inquiring minds want to know. 

Second, beware the tapenade.  I thought it was vegetarian and served it to friends, only to find out later that it contains anchovies.  (I gotta read those pesky labels.)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2008, 10:49:23 pm »
Second, beware the tapenade.  I thought it was vegetarian and served it to friends, only to find out later that it contains anchovies.  (I gotta read those pesky labels.)

Um, what's tapenade?

My folks was Pennsylvania Dutch. ...

::)  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2008, 11:58:10 pm »
Um, what's tapenade?

My folks was Pennsylvania Dutch. ...

::)  ;D

A spread of Provençal origin consisting of capers, black olives, and anchovies puréed with olive oil.  Yum.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2008, 04:59:28 am »
Elle, two things.  First, what's your world-class golden gravy??  Inquiring minds want to know. 

Golden gravy, because that is a nicer sounding name than yeast gravy.

Lightly brown flower in a pan, add nutritional yeast, then olive oil, then water, whisk, whisk, whisk, then tamari, then guzzle it, or if one prefers, drizzle it on brown rice, mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli, rubber gaskets, anything tastes better with it on it.  It's one of those magically delicious combos of flavors that is more than the sum of its parts.  It's also loaded with B vitamins, so everyone relaxes and enjoys life.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2008, 05:00:37 am »
A spread of Provençal origin consisting of capers, black olives, and anchovies puréed with olive oil.  Yum.

Hm, I think the one I buy has kalamatas in it, which would replace anchovies handily.  I'll check though.  :-*

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2008, 10:05:03 am »

Golden gravy, because that is a nicer sounding name than yeast gravy.

Lightly brown flower in a pan, add nutritional yeast, then olive oil, then water, whisk, whisk, whisk, then tamari, then guzzle it, or if one prefers, drizzle it on brown rice, mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli, rubber gaskets, anything tastes better with it on it.  It's one of those magically delicious combos of flavors that is more than the sum of its parts.  It's also loaded with B vitamins, so everyone relaxes and enjoys life.

Thanks, Elle, I must need a whole lot more B vitamins!

Hm, I think the one I buy has kalamatas in it, which would replace anchovies handily.  I'll check though.  :-*

It makes sense that there would be some olive spreads without the little anchovies, but they do add a certain 'je ne sais quoi'. :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2008, 12:52:57 pm »
It makes sense that there would be some olive spreads without the little anchovies, but they do add a certain 'je ne sais quoi'. :)
Yes, it's called "fishy taste." I love it too!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2008, 06:04:05 pm »

Anchovies?  :o  :P

Only when you can't taste 'em, like in Worcestershire sauce.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2008, 09:30:39 pm »
My friends Vermont Sunset, and southendmd, recently taught me how to eat littlenecked clams. It was after friend Adam ordered a bucket of them in Gloucester. They arrived at the table and I was at a loss as to how to savor them. The strategy is that you sever the clam from its shell with a knife, taking care to preserve as much of the precious liquor in the shell, and then you have to "de-condom" the neck, and then you're ready to eat it!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2009, 08:59:14 pm »
This year, I will go to an early Thanksgiving dinner with my husband, son, daughter, daughter's boyfriend, daughter's boyfriend's parents, my mother, and three other people. Then, I will go to a late Thanksgiving dinner at my friend EDelMar's house, where he and friend Chuck will cook for the first time in their new kitchen. I'm looking forward to it!!