Author Topic: Happy THanksgiving!  (Read 219967 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Happy THanksgiving!
« Reply #240 on: November 21, 2016, 10:55:47 am »
I'm really looking forward to Thanksgiving at EDelMar's place. Quite a few of our friends will be there, including Offline Chuck Destry and Kenny, who went with us on the 2009 Roundup. I think I'll be the only gal there which is fine with me. I'm bringing turkey, dressing, gravy, pumpkin muffins, cranberry relish, antipasto salad, and peach pie with fig glaze and whipped cream. Probably a few other things if I can't resist them in the store!

Also, there's a rumor that serious crayons is going to show up here sometime! Shall I put butcher paper on the table just in case she shows up with her crayons??  :laugh:

What are all of your plans and menus?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #241 on: November 21, 2016, 11:20:56 am »
What are all of your plans and menus?

Unfortunately our plans are somewhat up-in-the-air as I write this. We usually spend holidays at the home of my second cousin Mike, but my dad reported yesterday that Mike's father, my dad's cousin Bob had a heart attack Saturday, while he was feeding his chickens. He is presently hospitalized, but I know nothing of his condition. Dad suggested we might be staying home, just the two of us.

Dad suggested getting a rotisserie chicken to have for dinner.  :P  I like rotisserie chicken, but not for Thanksgiving. I suggested going to our favorite diner. We've done that in the past for a holiday dinner, but I can't remember now which holiday it was. If Dad wants a rotisserie chicken for Thanksgiving, I must let him have his way, but then he will be told in no uncertain terms that either Friday or Saturday we will be going to the Columbia Diner for dinner because I want a turkey dinner this weekend, and there is now really no place near my place in Philadelphia where you can reliably get a turkey dinner.

What about your mother, FRiend?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #242 on: November 21, 2016, 11:48:16 am »
I'm taking Mom to Thanksgiving dinner at the church at mid-day. Adam told me under no circumstances am I to eat anything while I am there! That won't happen!

The church has started having Thanksgiving dinner for "strays". There are so many of us single people around now, it makes sense.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #243 on: November 21, 2016, 12:47:09 pm »
I'm taking Mom to Thanksgiving dinner at the church at mid-day. Adam told me under no circumstances am I to eat anything while I am there! That won't happen!

The church has started having Thanksgiving dinner for "strays". There are so many of us single people around now, it makes sense.

I'm sure the church dinner will be very nice, as long as they're not a fire-and-brimstone crowd and you don't have to sing.  ;D

No, seriously, it does sound nice. There are lots of singles around now. The community center across the street from my place always has a Thanksgiving dinner for "strays."

I always enjoy the holiday dinners with our cousins, but all my buddies at the Usual Watering Hole will be there for the Thanksgiving dinner in the restaurant ($35 a head, with turkey, ham, and roast beef), and I will wish I could be with them, too, as it sounds like it will be very festive.

I'm told bars make lots of money at Thanksgiving time from all the people who need to fortify themselves for time with their families, or recover from it afterward.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #244 on: November 21, 2016, 01:28:57 pm »
Sorry about your dad's cousin, Jeff.  And good luck with the rotisserie chicken!

Lee, say howdy to Adam and OCD for me and enjoy.

I'm hosting again this year, and for 9 people in my tiny city apartment!  A whole bunch of Frenchies are coming this year.  Most of them have never had a Thanksgiving, so I gotta do it up right. 
I ordered an 18-pound organic turkey from a local farm.  I'll do a traditional bread stuffing and my usual red wine turkey gravy. Joey is in charge of all the veggies and my mother's helper is doing pies.
I already made the cranberry chutney.
I'm hoping the Frenchies bring the wine, else I would be intimidated, cuz they know their wine.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #245 on: November 21, 2016, 01:52:53 pm »
Sorry about your dad's cousin, Jeff.  And good luck with the rotisserie chicken!

Lee, say howdy to Adam and OCD for me and enjoy.

I'm hosting again this year, and for 9 people in my tiny city apartment!  A whole bunch of Frenchies are coming this year.  Most of them have never had a Thanksgiving, so I gotta do it up right. 
I ordered an 18-pound organic turkey from a local farm.  I'll do a traditional bread stuffing and my usual red wine turkey gravy. Joey is in charge of all the veggies and my mother's helper is doing pies.
I already made the cranberry chutney.
I'm hoping the Frenchies bring the wine, else I would be intimidated, cuz they know their wine.

Thanks, Paul!

Your dinner sounds fabulous!  :D

Will Joey be making her wonderful fruitcake for the next holiday?

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #246 on: November 21, 2016, 02:26:22 pm »
Thanks, Paul!

Your dinner sounds fabulous!  :D

It's already made, and soaking away in rum.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #247 on: November 21, 2016, 02:33:17 pm »

It's already made, and soaking away in rum.

;D

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #248 on: November 21, 2016, 02:55:53 pm »
Jeff, I could send you one, if you'd like.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #249 on: November 21, 2016, 04:05:17 pm »
Jeff, I could send you one, if you'd like.

Thank you! That would be very sweet of you, if there is one to spare, but please don't deprive anyone else on my account.

I hope I didn't sound as if I was hinting. I just remember it, and that you weren't kiddin' when you said it was the. best. fruitcake. ever.  :)