Author Topic: Happy THanksgiving!  (Read 219962 times)

Offline tango

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Re: Happy THanksgiving!
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2009, 11:07:10 am »
My goodness, that's sad and kinda defeats the purpose of sharing a holiday with people you care about in a meaningful way which I thought was the point. It's almost like they used the amount of food you ate as a barometer to evaluate the strength of the friendship instead of the using the proper measure of how you felt about them - the time you spent at their house on a holiday sacrificing some time with your immediate family. 

I'd be thrilled if a friend popped in for a bit to have a drink, a few bites and a chat before leaving for their parents house for their main meal. I think that shows great regard. But only if I knew that beforehand when I extended the invitation, otherwise I could see my feelings being hurt if I put in a lot of effort and time on a dinner to find it not appreciated.  The hosting couple if they didn't know beforehand might think the guest didn't like the food or company so was using "I have to go to my parents house and eat dinner" as a way to bail and head out for better pickings. 

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2009, 12:49:14 pm »
My goodness, that's sad and kinda defeats the purpose of sharing a holiday with people you care about in a meaningful way which I thought was the point. It's almost like they used the amount of food you ate as a barometer to evaluate the strength of the friendship instead of the using the proper measure of how you felt about them - the time you spent at their house on a holiday sacrificing some time with your immediate family.  

I'd be thrilled if a friend popped in for a bit to have a drink, a few bites and a chat before leaving for their parents house for their main meal. I think that shows great regard. But only if I knew that beforehand when I extended the invitation, otherwise I could see my feelings being hurt if I put in a lot of effort and time on a dinner to find it not appreciated.  The hosting couple if they didn't know beforehand might think the guest didn't like the food or company so was using "I have to go to my parents house and eat dinner" as a way to bail and head out for better pickings.  

I agree and certainly would tell my hosts in advance, which I did, and since I wasn't the only friend invited, I didn't think my presence one way or the other made that big of a deal to my hosts, but apparenly so.

I felt particularly bad about one time because the friends were a gay couple, neither of which were in contact with their families, so in effect their friends were their families, so I could see the impact might be more major to them.  But then again, their situation didn't make my family go away or change my circumstances.  :-\

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2009, 10:43:27 am »

I felt particularly bad about one time because the friends were a gay couple, neither of which were in contact with their families, so in effect their friends were their families, so I could see the impact might be more major to them.  But then again, their situation didn't make my family go away or change my circumstances.  :-\

That was the case with me last Thanksgiving. My friends and I all agree that T-day should be spent with family, but when all you do there is eat and be assaulted by loud football on TV (there were something like 40 games broadcast last Thursday) then it's not worth it. It was so relaxing and companionable to spend time with my gay friends talking about recipes, landscaping, decorating, travel, art, movies, and literature, and listening to them play piano, than watching mud-covered men on a field crashing into each other!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2010, 11:45:32 am »
I'm not sure how many people would like to tackle this for Thanksgiving!

The picture above looks like a carrot cake, but it's actually a kind of one-dish Thanksgiving dinner.  It's made with layers of ground turkey, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce and stuffing, with mashed potatoes as the "frosting."

The whole recipe is at a blog called "chow". Sounds like it's as complicated as making Thanksgiving dinner twice.   :laugh:

http://www.chow.com/recipes/29029-thanksgiving-turkey-cake

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2010, 07:24:28 pm »
Found this on Craigslist today. I can not vouch for authenticity

Set of 6

$75 each

Whole set is $450

These chairs were used in the Thanksgiving Dinner scene at Jack's house in the award winning Brokeback Mountain

Excellent condition

Plush aubergine velvet

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/fuo/2055775536.html

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2010, 07:25:03 pm »
The seller is someone who worked on the film, and she says she has documentation from the set designer to go along with the chairs. I believe these to be the real deal.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2010, 07:52:22 pm »
Amazing find, John.  

Let's see:

Chairs:  $450

Shipping to Boston:  $2000

Redecorating entire living room around that color:  $1500

Having this Thanksgiving with the real Twist chairs:  PRICELESS!

(To be clear, I am not buying these!)

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2010, 07:58:30 pm »
It's a good deal, but I'm not sure about the shipping costs.

The chairs are in Vancouver. That's only a 17 hour drive for me.  ;D

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2010, 10:12:47 pm »
Amazing find, John.  

Let's see:

Chairs:  $450

Shipping to Boston:  $2000

Redecorating entire living room around that color:  $1500

Having this Thanksgiving with the real Twist chairs:  PRICELESS!

(To be clear, I am not buying these!)

;D  ;D  ;D

OMG that would be so uber cool....!
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2010, 06:34:03 pm »
I guess the 1970s were not known as a time of good taste, were they? After all, it was the era of the leisure suit.  ::)

Anyone who wants those chairs is welcome to them. I wouldn't want them in my house--even if Jake Gyllenhaal's butt did sit in one of them.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 03:54:42 pm by Jeff Wrangler »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.