Author Topic: Happy THanksgiving!  (Read 220502 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Happy THanksgiving!
« Reply #280 on: November 26, 2021, 12:46:45 pm »
All the menus at all the dinners sound delicious! I went to my ex-sister-in-law?s, where she and her husband and son made turkey (breasts only ? not my face but fine with gravy), dressing, mashed potatoes, mashed rutabaga (contributed by my ex-FIL), cornbread with cranberries, a fish with green beans and fresh corn. The best were the mashed potatoes ? they put roasted garlic in the potatoes, then topped them with fried garlic and fried onions.

I made my usual bourbon-sweet-potato pie with fresh whipped cream ? always a hit.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #281 on: November 27, 2021, 12:05:32 am »
turkey (breasts only ? not my face but fine with gravy)

I heard or read somewhere that breast/white meat is not as fatty as dark meat, but it can be dry. Even if it isn't dry, I like it with gravy.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #282 on: November 27, 2021, 01:36:13 pm »
I also made an apple, cranberry and pecan crostata, served with vanilla ice cream.

Interesting! I'd like to hear how the pecans are incorporated. I've been experimenting with crostata lately; easier than pie and just as tasty!

Wow, Chuck, Jeff, and Kathryn,  those menus are scrumptuous! I'll be asking you about the details as soon as I've dealt with my own dish clean-up and leftovers.

Speaking of that, I'm making turkey soup and tezzrazini. Do you know a good way to combine turkey and eggplant?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #283 on: November 28, 2021, 04:59:03 pm »
Interesting! I'd like to hear how the pecans are incorporated. I've been experimenting with crostata lately; easier than pie and just as tasty!

I love crostata; it's SO easy and flaky.  My secret is to add a few tablespoons of sour cream to the dough. 

As for the pecans, I just chopped them and sprinkled them over the apples and cranberries before baking.  I macerate the apples and cranberries in a mixture of lemon zest and juice, brown sugar, vanilla and a touch of cornstarch to thicken. 

Another secret: before adding the fruit, spread a thin layer of apricot jam over the dough.  You won't get a soggy bottom!
Then thin out a little apricot jam with calvados, microwave for a minute and brush over the fruit for a glossy finish. 

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #284 on: November 28, 2021, 05:07:21 pm »
Love your secrets and tips! I have some apricot jam languishing in the back of the fridge and will fish it out right away and try this out!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #285 on: November 28, 2021, 05:10:08 pm »
Speaking of that, I'm making turkey soup and tezzrazini. Do you know a good way to combine turkey and eggplant?

Answering my own question, I'm preparing to make a turkey and eggplant koresh from my Mediterranean cookbook. I'll let you all know how it comes out! Fresh eggplant is usually not available this time of year, so when I saw two nice big ones on the clearance shelf, I snapped them up.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #286 on: November 28, 2021, 06:58:29 pm »
They have a clearance shelf for vegetables?  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #287 on: November 29, 2021, 12:16:49 pm »
Oh yes. Veggies that are past their prime are bagged up and sold for $2 a bag. These are usually looking just as good as what's in the produce aisle too. Great bargain, especially when you're going to cook them anyway.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #288 on: November 22, 2022, 01:37:39 pm »
Just taking a little break from cooking to ask you all what your Thanksgiving plans are. T-day is early this year and crept up on me. I'm currently looking at a colander full of Brussels sprouts, hoping I can do them justice.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #289 on: November 22, 2022, 02:54:03 pm »
Just taking a little break from cooking to ask you all what your Thanksgiving plans are. T-day is early this year and crept up on me. I'm currently looking at a colander full of Brussels sprouts, hoping I can do them justice.

Ooo! Brussels sprouts! Are you going to saute them?

As everybody knows, I'll be here by myself, but I've already got my menu planned:

Turkey with gravy
Stuffing
Corn
Lima beans
Sweet potato (just one, baked)
Cranberry relish
Biscuits
Tastykake pumpkin pie with vanilla ice cream (local brand snack cake)

Possibly spiced apple wine