Author Topic: Happy THanksgiving!  (Read 220437 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Happy THanksgiving!
« Reply #300 on: November 24, 2022, 12:39:36 pm »
A Happy Thanksgiving to all Brokies everywhere!  :D

And now I just saw something pretty awful.

I watched the Thanksgiving Day service from Washington National Cathedral online. The service itself was very nice. It included good old-fashioned Thanksgiving hymns (e.g., "Now Thank We All Our God") that neither church I'm affiliated with seems to use anymore.  :(

But. ...

At the beginning of the service, one of the ministers read something--it wasn't really a prayer--that recognized the indigenous peoples who lived in the Washington, D.C., area before the coming of the Europeans. One of the tribes was known--at least to Europeans--as the Pamunkey.

The service was close-captioned. The close-captioning person rendered "Pamunkey" as ...

"a monkey."  :o  ???  >:(

That was just plain awful, and I'm sure the cathedral people are going to hear about it.

:(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #301 on: November 24, 2022, 01:00:06 pm »
I guess there are some indigenous people who think Thanksgiving should be canceled because of the horrifying brutality of Europeans fighting the Wampanoag. The New Yorker story below is one account, and there are many others online.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/11/25/the-invention-of-thanksgiving

I can understand their feeling that way, but it would be sad. Thanksgiving is one of the few holidays that almost everyone else in this country celebrates, and in similar ways.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #302 on: November 24, 2022, 01:33:38 pm »
In other news, a friend on Facebook posted a video -- I wish I knew how to post it here -- of a family with three teenage girls gathered around their freshly roasted turkey. One of the sisters looks inside the turkey and screams, then another does the same. Finally the youngest one, grimacing, pokes a fork inside the cavity and pulls out a small, pale bird. "It was pregnant!" she cries in horror. The dad has to explain that it's a Cornish game hen he'd inserted as a joke and turkeys don't reproduce that way. But the girls' reaction is understandable; the image is pretty gross.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #303 on: November 24, 2022, 04:54:26 pm »
Happy turkey day to all my American friends!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #304 on: November 24, 2022, 08:01:04 pm »
In other news, a friend on Facebook posted a video -- I wish I knew how to post it here -- of a family with three teenage girls gathered around their freshly roasted turkey. One of the sisters looks inside the turkey and screams, then another does the same. Finally the youngest one, grimacing, pokes a fork inside the cavity and pulls out a small, pale bird. "It was pregnant!" she cries in horror. The dad has to explain that it's a Cornish game hen he'd inserted as a joke and turkeys don't reproduce that way. But the girls' reaction is understandable; the image is pretty gross.

Remember turducken? Wasn't that a chicken stuffed in a duck stuffed in a turkey?

Maybe they should have had a tofurkey.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #305 on: November 25, 2022, 10:35:52 am »
On that subject,
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #306 on: November 25, 2022, 10:59:35 am »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #307 on: November 25, 2022, 11:03:29 am »
More fun Brokie humor! Amanda posted a photo on Facebook of a turkey and said "The electric carving knife is being fired up!"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #308 on: November 25, 2022, 03:57:44 pm »
:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #309 on: November 23, 2023, 11:31:38 am »

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!