Author Topic: Stop the Hate  (Read 34563 times)

garycottle

Stop the Hate
« on: November 25, 2007, 02:10:58 am »
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 03:11:04 am by garycottle »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Favorite Christmas Songs
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 02:32:34 am »
I love Carol of the Bells too, Gary. It's one of my favorites.

I also love "Sleigh Ride", "Do You Hear What I Hear?" and "O Holy Night".

And I also love Handel's "Hallelujiah Chorus" from The Messiah. I remember playing this every Christmas with my chamber orchestra here in Indianapolis, along with many other songs from The Messiah. :)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNvo3-aRwEc[/youtube]

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 03:00:40 am »
I'm fond of a Carol called "I Wonder as I Wander."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 03:04:02 am »
I'm fond of a Carol called "I Wonder as I Wander."

Hi Littlewing!!! Merry Christmas to you and your family and firends!!  :-*

I'm not familiar with that Christmas song. Is there a youtube video posted of this song? I'd love to listen to it!  :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 03:05:45 am »
I loved the video, David.   ;D  The Hallelujah Chorus is a power piece of music.  And I like the other songs you mentioned as well.  

Thanks Gary! Yes, The Messiah brings back a lot of memories for me.

This is a great idea for a thread Gary. I hope others will contribute their favorite songs in here too! :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 03:07:25 am »
I've sticky posted this thread for you Gary, and it will remain up towards the top of the forum listing so others can see it. I will leave it up there through Christmas for you. :)

Dagi

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 08:50:32 am »
[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=1JYrOMK1aDA[/youtube]

Carol of the Bells

So beautiful. I knew it, but I didn´t know its name. Thank you for posting this.

Dagi

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 08:58:04 am »
I love Carol of the Bells too, Gary. It's one of my favorites.

I also love "Sleigh Ride", "Do You Hear What I Hear?" and "O Holy Night".

And I also love Handel's "Hallelujah Chorus" from The Messiah. I remember playing this every Christmas with my chamber orchestra here in Indianapolis, along with many other songs from The Messiah. :)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNvo3-aRwEc[/youtube]

We sang the Hallelujah Chorus every year in church when I was a teenager, and I loved it.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 04:51:56 pm »
Thanks, G. I liked that! It was very uplifting.  ;)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline BelAir

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 06:47:00 pm »
I like Little Drummer Boy, O Holy Night... there are some more modern ones I like too, but I don't know their names.
 >:(
e.g. I think there is one from Love Actually, that the little girl sings, and I like one the play on the radio that John Lennon sings ("So This is Christmas"?)... and I think I like the song from The Polar Express (even though I didn't really like the movie)
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline BelAir

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 08:15:35 pm »
Thanks guys!

:)

15 degrees - brrr!

;D

(I think that may be the first time I've heard a woman sing that song...)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 09:35:54 pm »
One of my recent favourites is "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" by Barenaked Ladies and Sarah McLacchan.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Lhuthiel

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 06:52:12 pm »
Christmas mood for me came yesterday evening, when somebody brought me the first christmas cookies of the year.
So this thread is just what I need today.

Gary, I loved "Carol of the Bells". I did not know this song before, but it reminded me somewhat of the soundtrack of the movie "Amelie" (I don't know what it's called in English, sorry). I loved the movie and its music, so this song was like Amelie on Christmas or something, loved it.

David, I also loved the "Hallelujah Chorus". I've sang in a choir for years, but I've not once sung that. We usually sang the more traditional, not so classical Christmas songs. (Which is probably why I don't like those too much any more.)

Susiebell, Christmas at your home must be really nice. I enjoyed all those more modern Christmas songs like "Happy Christmas (War is Over)", "Merry Christmas Everyone" and "Do They Know It's Christmas" that you posted. 
I don't generally like "Happy Christmas (War is Over)", because it gets played to death by the radio stations before Christmas even arrives, but with the video and a little more attention to the lyrics it almost made me cry.
I'm wanted to ask, whether you (or anybody else, of course) knows more about Band Aid, I am kinda curious about the end credits of the video.

A Christmas song I've always liked is "Adeste Fidelis". I'm sure there is a English version of this (just like there is a German one), but I prefer the Latin one.
I got so fond of this song, when I played it on my cello a few years ago. It's nice with the sound of a cello as well.
I know the quality of the video is crappy, but I really wanted a video with the Latin version.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kczkCO6E8uI[/youtube]
Music washes away from the soul the dust of every-day life
-Auberbach-

Offline Lhuthiel

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 07:54:04 pm »
Thanks Susiebell, it's really interesting to learn more about the whole project and the part about the "Original Band Aid" answered my question about the end credits of the video.
(Oh, and I'm far from falling asleep, I'm sick so I won't sleep much tonight. But have you fallen asleep yet?  ;))

Here's another Christmas song that I love. I prefer to hear it sung by a whole choir, because the song sounds lighter that way, but I couldn't find anything like that. (Once you listen to the song, you'll know what I mean by wishing for a "lighter sound", I think this recording sounds rather sad.)
Unfortunately, I'm totally ignorant about English Christmas songs, so here's a version with German lyrics. If there is an English one as well, I'd love to know the name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBWFbTXYoBk

-Auberbach-

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007, 08:07:18 pm »
Oh Susie,
What Memories you have brought back!
I'll never forget the firsttime I heard the song. I was 18 and driving from university to my Grandmothers for Thanksgiving and I heard this line
And it's a world of dread and fear
Where the only water flowing is the bitter sting of tears
For some reason that hit me so  hard.  We take so much for granted and here are people who  don't even have water. It broke my heart.
What a great song and a great cause!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jEnTSQStGE[/youtube]
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Lhuthiel

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2007, 08:18:08 pm »
Susiebell, I edited my previous post and put the link of the video instead, because when I go to youtube the video is still there. Maybe it works better now?
(If it doesn't, I'll consider humming.  ;)  ;D)

I think the nasty tummy bug is just what I'm getting, so thanks for your get-well wishes, I need them.
-Auberbach-

Offline Lhuthiel

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2007, 09:22:33 pm »
Beautiful song .. I've never heard it before .... this sounds like a "softer" version of it ...

[youtube=425,350]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IDgXt8OnAIs&feature=related[/youtube]

Aww I hope your tummy feels better soon .... yuk tummy bugs are horrible!!!

Susie

Thanks, Susie, that's a beautiful version of the song, still very slow, but indeed softer.  :)
I thought that because the music to the song was composed by J.S.Bach, this song would be more likely to be known in other countries than other not so famous Christmas songs from here, but then again I'm not sure how many people actually know the song over here. It could just a choir piece that is not well-known to most people, I don't know.   

I'll try to sleep for a little while now, thanks again for the get-well wishes and the friendly welcome earlier today,
good night.  :)
-Auberbach-

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2007, 09:46:04 pm »
I love this one!!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_fjXUk_30g[/youtube]
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2007, 12:39:02 am »
I love John Lennon's "So this is Christmas" too ... another one that we HAVE to play on Christmas day ...

Happy Christmas(War is Over)-by John Lennon

[youtube=425,350]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbdyg51MVbg&feature=related[/youtube]

Susie

I adore that one Susie..thanks for posting it.

Beautiful mind

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2007, 12:47:27 am »
Here is my all time favorite!!
I have  known John Berry since he was singing in  the dives in Athens GA.
This  is such a beautiful rendition of this beautiful song!!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIDLhJGDPUY[/youtube]

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2007, 01:01:40 am »

Well Richard that is wonderful...It truly was inspiring..I never heard of him before, but he has a spectacular voice.

:)   Thanks   :)       

Beautiful mind

Dagi

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2007, 08:47:50 am »
Stille Nacht is definetely my favorite German Christmas song! Thanks for posting this!  :D

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2007, 04:21:01 pm »
OMG I'm tingling here and my eyes are full of tears!   I've never heard him before, but oh what a stunning voice and what a beautiful song... beautiful!!

Susie

I'm so glad you liked it!
John is a great guy.
he is very big locally.
He had a hit out a few years back with his rendidtion of Mustang Sally.
However, this song eclipsed that.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2007, 04:33:11 pm »
And no, I don't get the green light either.   ;D  It reminds me of the witch in The Wizard of Oz.   :laugh:

I'll listen to the song directly Gary, but you know what that green face reminds me of? Those episodes of Most Haunted where they go around shooting videos with a night cam. :D

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2007, 06:53:30 pm »
Alleluja from Mozart's Exsultate Jubilate, here sung by my favourite soprano Diana Damrau:  :)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozih9O4rhUY[/youtube]

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2007, 10:10:41 pm »
Alleluja from Mozart's Exsultate Jubilate, here sung by my favourite soprano Diana Damrau:  :)

I love that one too Anke!! It's very beautiful. I also love Beethoven's "Hallelujah from "Mount of Olives". It's not a traditional Christmas song, at least not in my country, but I think it sounds "Christmasy". I love the pipe organ, it's so loud and thunderous. :)

I wonder if someone has posted it on youtube? I'll look, and if I find it I will post it here. :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2007, 11:06:40 pm »
Beethoven's Hallelujah from Mount of Olives

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmuH3UbWLzQ[/youtube]

Why oh why on EARTH are they using a piano when there's a big ass organ sitting over there on the right? This is musical blasphemy if you ask me. It's like trying to pound out Led Zeppelin's Moby Dick Bitching Drum Solo on metal trash barrels. It's just plain WRONG!!  >:(  >:(

Anyway, there it is... sort of. The choir is a bit flat on the high notes, but they tried. There's no excuse for the piano though!  >:(

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2007, 01:23:18 am »
Gary,
That is awesome! I love Dolly! ;D

Dagi

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2007, 06:35:02 am »
[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=aQVz6vuNq7s[/youtube]

Ave Maria

I kept sobbing throughout the six minutes. If nothing else does, Ave Maria always manages to open my floodgates. Did you recognize it is German? I once learned to sing it myself. It's just heartbreakingly beautiful.

Dagi

Dagi

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2007, 06:47:54 am »
Ah Dagi, do you sing soprano?  My daughter can really hit the high notes too!!

Susie 

I´m rather a mezzosoprano, but with some training I can hit the higher notes too! Not at the moment though, since I have a sore throat...  :-\

Dagi

« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2007, 08:30:42 am »
Cool!!  Wish I could sing opera!

Hope your sore throat goes away soon!  :-*

Susie  :D

Thanks, Susie honey, it´s not severe.  :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2007, 09:32:22 pm »
Thanks, Susie honey, it´s not severe.  :)

I hope you feel better real soon Dagi. Sore throats are miserable. My Mother used to mix up a batch of cough and sore throat medicine and it always seemed to work too. Apparently it is an old family remedy handed down on my Mother's side of the family for generations. But lately I've found it isn't all the much of a secret. Quite a few people are familiar with it. Anyway, she mixed 4 parts honey, and one part whiskey together and then she added just a little bit of lemon juice and shook it up to mix it together. She would then give me one tablespoon of the mixture and it never failed to calm my cough and soothe my sore throat. You might want to give it a try sometime! it tastes pretty good too! :)

Damn, David.  You really are gay.   :P   :laugh:

Have you ever noticed that in the gay personals it's always the guys who say "please, no drama" that turn out to be the biggest drama queens?   :laugh:

Gary

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Yes Gary. I REALLY am gay!!!  :)

Here's another Christmas song I love. It is Concerto Grosso in G minor, op.6 no. 8, by Arcangelo Corelli, otherwise known as The Christmas Concerto. It was written in 1714.

I have played this concerto many times with my musician friends. I've played both the violin and cello parts of the concerto. In spite of its name, this concerto is frequently heard any time of the year, but it is especially beautiful during the Christmas season, which is when we always played it. :)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4SLTdmJ5mI[/youtube]

Dagi

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2007, 04:26:50 am »
I hope you feel better real soon Dagi. Sore throats are miserable. My Mother used to mix up a batch of cough and sore throat medicine and it always seemed to work too. Apparently it is an old family remedy handed down on my Mother's side of the family for generations. But lately I've found it isn't all the much of a secret. Quite a few people are familiar with it. Anyway, she mixed 4 parts honey, and one part whiskey together and then she added just a little bit of lemon juice and shook it up to mix it together. She would then give me one tablespoon of the mixture and it never failed to calm my cough and soothe my sore throat. You might want to give it a try sometime! it tastes pretty good too! :)

Thank you, David. Have you already been told today that you are a sweetheart? Well, in case not, let me tell you you really are. :) I´ll give it a try, it sounds as if it might taste not too bad! (Am I allowed to take more than one tablespoon?   ;D)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2007, 04:33:10 am »
Thank you, David. Have you already been told today that you are a sweetheart? Well, in case not, let me tell you you really are. :) I´ll give it a try, it sounds as if it might taste not too bad! (Am I allowed to take more than one tablespoon?   ;D)

Are you allowed to take more than one tablespoon, you ask? Only if you want to!!  ;)  :D

I've been known to down a half a bottle of the stuff.... in one gulp!!  :laugh:

You are a sweetheart too Dagi! I always look forward to reading your posts here on the forum. I'm so glad you decided to join our family last summer. You are a beautiful addition to our little community here.

Happy Holidays to you and all of your family and friends Dagi!  :D

Dagi

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2007, 04:36:34 am »
Have you already been told today that.....uh, I guess you have. ;D Hugs and kisses to you, David, and Happy Holidays to you and your beloved ones, too!  :)

Dagi

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2007, 04:45:34 am »
Have you already been told today that.....uh, I guess you have. ;D Hugs and kisses to you, David, and Happy Holidays to you and your beloved ones, too!  :)

Dagi

Actually, nobody told me that today Dagi.. nor did I hear it yesterday for that matter! And I needed to hear it just now. Thank you for your kind words!!

{{{DAGI}}}  :-*

Another one of my favorite Christmas songs....

For Unto Us A Child Is Born, from G.F. Handel's "The Messiah".

Robert Shaw conducts The Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and Chamber Chorus.

Absolutely beautiful!!

Oh! I almost forgot! In case you're wondering about the hairstyles, this is from 1987 folks!! We all wore big hair back then! Remember the mullet? I had one! *blush*  :-X

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9kjqpvkESs[/youtube]

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2007, 05:24:03 am »
I loved that, David.  Thanks.

And for the record, I think you're a sweetheart, too.   ;D

Aww! Thanks Gary! I liked you from the very minute I "met" you way back last summer! Like Dagi, you are a wonderful addition to BetterMost, and BetterMost is the better for it! (I swear I didn't mean for that to sound corny!). I am so glad you and Dagi and Susie came over to us. All three of you are golden assets to our forum! Happy Holidays to you and your family and friends Gary! :)

Dagi

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2007, 08:43:19 am »
I greatly enjoyed that one, David! Thanks for posting it. Actually I'm listening to it on a second browser for the second time while I'm writing this.

Thank you kindly for your lovely words, David.  :-* As for Susie and Gary:  Without my two dearest friends, and lovely folk like you, Bettermost would not be the same to me.

Dagi

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2007, 09:04:07 pm »
I greatly enjoyed that one, David! Thanks for posting it. Actually I'm listening to it on a second browser for the second time while I'm writing this.

Dagi

I'm glad you enjoyed it Dagi!! I think Mr. Handel is one of the greatest composers in history. He's definately one of my favorites, and I've always loved The Messiah. :)

Beautiful piece David!  And I didn't know you played the violin AND the cello .... not just a pretty face then!!  ;)

Susie 

Oh yes. I've been playing both the violin and cello since I was a youngster. I also play the piano and a little guitar and banjo. I seem to enjoy the string instruments for some reason. I wonder if there is something Fruedian about it?!! ;)   Although I did give both the saxaphone and trombone a try in elementary school, but I didn't like them very much. But, the violin and cello are not exactly crowd pleasers among my circle of friends. They will say things like "you play the violin and cello? WHY??"  :laugh: :laugh:

I'm happy you enjoyed the Christmas Concerto Susie! :D

Dagi

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2007, 07:04:24 am »

At least my hands can do two different things at the same time now instead of trying to copy each other!   :D

Susie 

Definitely an ability that might be handy sometimes.  ;D Oops, sorry for the OT comment on a thread about Christmas songs... ::)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2007, 02:21:36 pm »
I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony.  I really liked that song and remember the original Coke commerical.
============================================================================
The song began life as a collaboration by UK hit songwriters Roger Cook and Roger Greenaway. The melody was based on a Cook/Greenway jingle originally called "Mom, True Love and Apple Pie",[1]; a version of this called "True Love and Apple Pie" was recorded by Susan Shirley and released in 1971.[citation needed] It was then rewritten by Cook, Greenaway, Coca-Cola account executive Bill Backer, and Billy Davis and recorded as a Coca-Cola radio commercial, with the lyric "I'd like to buy the world a Coke and keep it company."

It was first aired as an American radio commercial on February 12, 1971, sparking public demand for its release as a single.[1] Reworked by Bill Backer and Billy Davis to remove the brand name references, the single climbed to UK #1 and US #7 in 1971 and 1972.

The Coca-Cola Company waived royalties to the song and instead donated $80,000 in payments to UNICEF. The song has since been recorded over 75 times.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I'd_Like_to_Teach_the_World_to_Sing

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mOEU87SBTU[/youtube]

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2007, 01:20:14 am »
This is My daughters favorite!!  :laugh:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtqIM_bPTws[/youtube]

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2007, 01:30:30 am »
Here are some more recent ones that I really love!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5WS6JjGNQg[/youtube]

I think this song is a modern Hymn

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1oHJR2g7Tw[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNsvE33pRSw[/youtube]

And of course every southerners favorite.....

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdrro5JQ1L4[/youtube]

Merry Christmas From Dixie to you all!!

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2007, 01:36:29 am »
Isn't that Eartha Kit?  I love her.

I love me some Eartha Kitt!
She's awesome!!

Here is my new favorite!
Took me a minute to find!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3su0ez4mrU[/youtube]

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2007, 02:49:37 am »

Oh my goodness Richard that is precious..it sorta rings a bell, but I am not sure..

Beautiful mind

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2007, 08:30:14 am »
Isn't that Eartha Kit?  I love her.

WOW! That was a bit racy for the day!!
She will forever be Catwoman to me! She was the best!

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2007, 11:16:44 am »
There are some very old carols I especially like: the Coventry Carol and Holly and the Ivy.

Contemporary faves: Song For a Winter's Night (doesn't mention Christmas but gets a lot of airplay on Christmas stations), "There's Something About Christmastime" (Bryan Adams) and "The Prayer."

And I must admit there are some goofy holiday songs that always make me laugh. "The SInging Dogs" has been around for awhile and there's one that surfaces occasionally called "You Ain't Gettin' Diddly-Squat 'Cause You Really Messed Up This Year."

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2007, 11:25:28 am »
This is another song with no specific mention of Christmas but often gets played this time of year. Both this year and last year, I keep thinking about Ennis and Jack when I hear it.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK9nt1NF7Nw[/youtube]

Here's the lyrics, which are repeated in the song in Spanish:

I pray you'll be our eyes, and watch us where we go.
And help us to be wise in times when we don't know
Let this be our prayer, when we lose our way
Lead us to the place, guide us with your grace
To a place where we'll be safe

I pray we'll find your light
and hold it in our hearts.
When stars go out each night,

The light you have
I pray we'll find your light
will be in the heart
and hold it in our hearts.
to remember us that
When stars go out each night,
you are eternal star
Let this be our prayer
when shadows fill our day

How much faith there's
Let this be our prayer
in my prayer
when shadows fill our day
Lead us to a place, guide us with your grace
Give us faith so we'll be safe

We dream a world without violence
a world of justice and faith.
Everyone gives the hand to his neighbours
Symbol of peace, of fraternity

We ask that life be kind
and watch us from above
We hope each soul will find
another soul to love

The force his gives us
We ask that life be kind
is wish that
and watch us from above
everyone finds love
We hope each soul will find
around and inside
another soul to love
Let this be our prayer
Let this be our prayer, just like every child

Need to find a place, guide us with your grace
Need to find a place, guide us with your grace

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2007, 05:14:05 pm »
Anybody else remember the Chipmunks' Christmas song?   ;D

I see by posters in the bus shelters that they have made a movie of Alvin and the Chipmunks, with that foxy Jason Lee (of My Name Is Earl) as their human manager.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2007, 05:55:39 pm »
Anybody else remember the Chipmunks' Christmas song?   ;D

I see by posters in the bus shelters that they have made a movie of Alvin and the Chipmunks, with that foxy Jason Lee (of My Name Is Earl) as their human manager.  ;D
Oh sweet mercy!
O love that man!

Elizabeth loves the Chick-a-monks. (thats what she has called them since she was a wee girl)

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2007, 06:54:19 pm »
Here's the Mother of all classical German Christmas compositions: Johann Sebastian Bach's Weihnachtsoratorium (Christmas Oratorio). Cantata 1: Jauchzet, Frohlocket!

This video was apparently filmed in the early 1980s. The music only starts after a minute or so. :) 

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmfRYn4LIf8&feature=related[/youtube]

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2007, 07:07:51 pm »
Thanks, Susie! I was just about to post that, too!  :D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2007, 10:01:43 pm »
Thanks, Gary!  :D I figured it had to be out there somewhere in Internet land!  :laugh:

Awwwww ... so cute ... I'm sitting swaying from side to side here  :D

Their voices remind me of Pinky and Perky!

Susie 

Who's Pinky and Perky?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2007, 10:04:26 pm »
Oh sweet mercy!
O love that man!

Ain't he foxy (Jason Lee)?  ;D

Elizabeth loves the Chick-a-monks. (thats what she has called them since she was a wee girl)

Aw, that's cute! I didn't even know kids today knew Simon, Theodore, and Alvin.  :D

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2007, 11:39:39 am »
Ain't he foxy (Jason Lee)?  ;D

Yes! He's hotter 'n a whore house on dollar day!!

Aw, that's cute! I didn't even know kids today knew Simon, Theodore, and Alvin.  :D

Oh yeah she loves them! She has the halloween special and I have made CD's for her! LOL

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2007, 01:55:58 pm »
Hotter than a whore house on dollar day?  Wow!  That's pretty damn hot.   :laugh:
Sure is!
Only to be out done by" Hotter 'n south Hell on the 4th of July!"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2007, 02:04:09 pm »
Only to be out done by" Hotter 'n south Hell on the 4th of July!"

Baby Bro', do you make these up or do you find 'em in a book somewhere?  ;D

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2007, 07:24:21 pm »
Does anybody remember these guys? Here's Boney M. with Mary's Boy Child  :)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BVtzu59feY&feature=related[/youtube]

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2007, 09:36:32 pm »

Baby Bro', do you make these up or do you find 'em in a book somewhere?  ;D

That one is all mine. The others I got from Paw Paw or Uncles or some of the old guys at the feed store! LOL

Dagi

« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2007, 05:04:46 pm »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: these guys are great! And the ears of that guy... ::)  ;D  really sweet.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2007, 10:54:37 pm »
This is one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard.
It's got a strong religous message but hey, thats what Christmas is really about!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hONKCion6Eo[/youtube]

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2007, 11:29:20 am »
I guess my favorite secular Christmas songs would be "Silver Bells," "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas," and "Have a Holly, Jolly Christmas" (from Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer).  :)

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2007, 07:24:36 pm »
Talking about Ave Maria...  I always melt away at Johann Sebatian Bach's version.
Here sung by the great Jesse Norman:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9M6ftmavPk[/youtube]

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2007, 09:19:34 am »
Christmas Carol
Get the Kleenex ready!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qp_3JKvmbo[/youtube]

Dagi

« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2007, 10:38:49 am »
Talking about Ave Maria...  I always melt away at Johann Sebatian Bach's version.
Here sung by the great Jesse Norman:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9M6ftmavPk[/youtube]

Beautiful!  :D Thanks for sharing, Pipedream!

Offline BelAir

« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2007, 12:20:03 pm »
I heard a Christmas song on the radio the other day... I've been trying to find it on the web with no luck.  Unfortunately, all I can remember is the word "viva" featured prominently in the song, and the song was sort of lyrical (like Happy Christmas and Do They Know It's Christmas)...  can y'all help?

Offline Lhuthiel

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2007, 04:01:20 pm »
I just remembered a few Christmas songs we sang in French classes at school.
The first one, "Petit Papa Noel", is a real classic.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM3BnWjUu9Y[/youtube]

From the other videos I watched, I'd say this is Tino Rossi singing.
-Auberbach-

Offline Lhuthiel

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2007, 04:13:08 pm »
"Il est né le divin enfant"

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmWWwbk-XwM[/youtube]

I think this is the first French Christmas song I learned.
The quality of this recording is not very good (voices standing out, background noises etc.), but I really liked the arrangement.
-Auberbach-

Offline Lhuthiel

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2007, 04:41:30 pm »
"Les anges dans nos campagnes"  :D

I think, this might be my all-time favourite Christmas song. My mother used to sing this song a lot with my brother and me when we were younger. We could only sing the chorus, not the French parts, but my brother and I loved it.

Again, the recording is not the best and there are some notes (tones?) askew, but for so many young boys it's very good, I think. Also, I was really impressed by some of the voices.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sVci02vpgo[/youtube]
-Auberbach-

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2007, 04:47:05 pm »
"Il est né le divin enfant"

I think this is the first French Christmas song I learned.
The quality of this recording is not very good (voices standing out, background noises etc.), but I really liked the arrangement.

I learned that in French class, but it was the second one. First was "Un flambeau, Jeannette Isabel."  :)

P.S.: Thanks, Gary. I love Burl Ives as Sam the Snowman singing "Holly, Jolly Christmas." A very happy childhood memory!  :D

Offline Lhuthiel

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2007, 05:12:04 pm »
That's a beautiful song, too.
I hadn't heard of it before, but I found a nice version of it on youtube.
For anybody else who is interested, here it is:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkblS9mSiKU[/youtube]
-Auberbach-

Offline Lhuthiel

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2007, 07:11:17 am »
Aww I remember learning this one too Lhuthiel! :D  I can only remember the first line now  :-\

Susie  :)

Susie, it's 'only' about 9 years ago that I learned that song and I can't remember more than "Il est né le divin enfant, chantons tous son avènement" despite having a rather good memory for poetry and such. I think it's the lyrics. ;)

Here is Elvis "Santa, Bring My Baby Back to Me"

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zipoAA3g1BM[/youtube]
-Auberbach-

Offline Lhuthiel

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2007, 08:13:29 am »
The Paul McCartney video was very nice. I love it when Christmas is not only festive, but has some more cheery aspects to it, too.
The Robbie Williams video was really powerful, he sure is a very charismatic person. And you British indeed know how to sing! :)

Ray Charles - That Spirit of Christmas

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7noNoxAfks[/youtube]
-Auberbach-

Offline Lhuthiel

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2007, 08:15:23 am »
And something more cheerful

Beach Boys - Little St. Nick

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO-4fIi6lMo[/youtube]
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 01:20:16 pm by Lhuthiel »
-Auberbach-

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2007, 09:22:57 pm »
I have just posted this to some friends here, and thought i would share it with you.....its not my favourite Christmas song, but its very unique to Australia.....

Its called Six White Boomers.....a song made popular by Rolf Harris in the 60's...

Its about a baby kangaroo (a JOEY) who cant find his mum on Christmas day and Santa helps him to find her....he un-hitches the reindeer from his sleigh, and harnesses Six White Boomers....(six big white kangaroos).....hope you enjoy it....

SIX WHITE BOOMERS.....

Early on one Christmas Day, a Joey Kanga-roo
Was far from home and lost in a great big zoo
Mummy, where's my mummy, they've taken her a-way
We'll help you find your mummy son, hop on the sleigh

Up beside the bag of toys, little Joey hopped
But they had'nt gone far when Santa stopped
Un-harnessed all the reindeer and Joey wondered why
Then he heard a far off booming in the sky

Six white boomers, snow white boomers
Racing Santa Claus through the blazing sun
.. On his Aus-tra-lian run

Pretty soon old Santa began to feel the heat
Took his fur-lined boots off to cool his feet
Into one popped Joey, feeling quite OK
While those old man kangaroos kept pulling on the sleigh

Joey said to Santa, Santa, what about the toys
Aren't you giving some to these girls and boys
They've all got their presents son, we were here last night
This trip is an extra trip, Joey's special flight

Soon the sleigh was flashing past, right over Marble Bar a town in the outback
Slow down there, cried Santa, it can't be far
Come up on my lap son, and have a look around
There she is, that's mummy, bounding up and down

Well that's the bestest Christmas treat that Joey ever had
Curled up in mother's pouch all snug and glad
The last they saw was Santa headed northward from the sun
The only year the boomers worked a double run

Rolf Harriss (1965)

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Lhuthiel

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2007, 01:17:09 pm »
That Beach Boys one wouldn't play  >:( stupid youtube!!  >:(

I've got it on one of my Christmas CD's though so I know how much fun it is!

Thanks for telling me, Susie. I sometimes forget to look whether the videos can be embedded and I guess this one couldn't. I'll edit my post and replace that video by another Little St. Nick one in a minute.  :)

Katie77, that was a cute song (and a very funny video), I love getting to know Christmas songs that are not as well known (at least not to me).  :)
-Auberbach-

Scott6373

« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2007, 03:08:07 pm »
Despite my more atheist leanings, this is really my favorite Christmas song.  I'm lousy with Youtube, so...

In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan,
Earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone;
Snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow,
In the bleak midwinter, long ago.

Our God, Heaven cannot hold Him, nor earth sustain;
Heaven and earth shall flee away when He comes to reign.
In the bleak midwinter a stable place sufficed
The Lord God Almighty, Jesus Christ.

Enough for Him, whom cherubim, worship night and day,
Breastful of milk, and a mangerful of hay;
Enough for Him, whom angels fall before,
The ox and ass and camel which adore.

Angels and archangels may have gathered there,
Cherubim and seraphim thronged the air;
But His mother only, in her maiden bliss,
Worshipped the beloved with a kiss.

What can I give Him, poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
If I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;
Yet what I can I give Him: give my heart.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2007, 03:14:23 pm »
Scott,
That was beautiful!

Scott6373

« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2007, 04:03:09 pm »
[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZUt7fgc79oM[/youtube]

In The Bleak Midwinter

Thank you Gary...I'm not supposed to cry at work  :'(

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2007, 12:30:21 am »
I love In the Bleak Mid Winter too Scott, it's one of my very favourite Christmas carols.

I love to hear it performed by a choir ... this one is the Gloucester Cathedral Choir...

[youtube=425,350]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xRobryliBLQ&feature=related[/youtube]

.....so beautiful  :'( :'( :'(

Wow Susie!
That was beautiful

Offline huntinbuddy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2007, 10:19:59 pm »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfQddqu3G7M[/youtube]
A hit from the summer of 1741

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2007, 11:19:29 pm »
I wouldn't necessarily say this is my favorite Christmas song, but I do like the song a lot "All I Want For Christmas Is You."  I especially remember listening to it a lot last year.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2007, 04:20:49 pm »
Did anyone say "Merry Christmas Darling" yet?