Author Topic: Brokeback filming received a blessing  (Read 2757 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Brokeback filming received a blessing
« on: September 23, 2007, 04:36:30 pm »
When we were in Alberta, Judy and Gail were lucky enough to visit the house that was used for the exterior of Monroe's house and the owner invited them in and shared with them copies of a local insert magazine called Sweve, dated 3 March 2006, a copy of which Judy was kind enough to pass along to me.

The issue was title "The Real Brokeback Mountain" and had articles about the filming locations. On page twenty there is a mention that some of the sheep scenes were films on the Stoney Indian Reserve and quotes Darryl Solly saying: "An elder did a blessing for us before filming began".

As one who has been intrigues by the mystical.spiritual qualities of this film I was really moved by this. A native elder giving a traditional blessing to this story of tragic love, no wonder it hit such a home run.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

moremojo

Re: Brokeback filming received a blessing
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 05:30:33 pm »
David in Indiana would be especially interested in reading this. I'll inform him of this intriguing detail anon.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 07:25:04 pm »
Thanks for telling me about this Scott!  :D

The fact the Native American Elder performed a blessing doesn't surprise me at all. Before Christianity was introduced to Native Americans, most North American tribes welcomed homosexuality, especially the various Plains tribes such as the Sioux. To be homosexual was considered a blessing, both for the gay individual, and also for the tribe. It insured stability within the tribe, since a gay person was viewed as a bridge between male and female. Gay people were considered gifts from God to many Native Americans. Gay people were elevated and honored, and in some cases even worshipped, or nearly worshipped. After the White man arrived and introduced Christianity to the Native Americans, many converted to Christian faiths, mostly Roman Catholicism, and soon after many Native Americans began to reject homosexuality.

Today there is a movement among many Native Americans to return to the old ways, and with that comes the elevation of gay people, just as their ancestors did hundreds of years ago. It sounds like this Elder is probably observing the old traditional ways, and therefore he felt perfectly comfortable, probably even obligated to bless something related to the story of Brokeback Mountain.  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 07:49:07 pm »
A native elder giving a traditional blessing to this story of tragic love, no wonder it hit such a home run.

That is absolutely fascinating...I wondered how they felt that their lands were being used for many of the early scenes in the movie, hence also the scores of visitors such as our troupe in July 2007.

David, I also find your information fascinating on many Native Americans tribes' perspective on homosexuality. If only that norm had generalized to the rest of human civilization.
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 03:56:21 pm »
Thanks for telling me about this Scott!  :D

The fact the Native American Elder performed a blessing doesn't surprise me at all. Before Christianity was introduced to Native Americans, most North American tribes welcomed homosexuality, especially the various Plains tribes such as the Sioux. To be homosexual was considered a blessing, both for the gay individual, and also for the tribe. It insured stability within the tribe, since a gay person was viewed as a bridge between male and female. Gay people were considered gifts from God to many Native Americans. Gay people were elevated and honored, and in some cases even worshipped, or nearly worshipped. After the White man arrived and introduced Christianity to the Native Americans, many converted to Christian faiths, mostly Roman Catholicism, and soon after many Native Americans began to reject homosexuality.

Today there is a movement among many Native Americans to return to the old ways, and with that comes the elevation of gay people, just as their ancestors did hundreds of years ago. It sounds like this Elder is probably observing the old traditional ways, and therefore he felt perfectly comfortable, probably even obligated to bless something related to the story of Brokeback Mountain.  :)
Thanks for explaining this David! There was an interesting scene in Little Big Man that goes along with what you are saying too. I wish we could know more about what kind of blessing was made so that we could have a similar blessing performed at one of our gatherings, perhaps the Roundup in Wyoming next June.
"chewing gum and duct tape"