Author Topic: XMAS Shopping - List of Companies Supporting LGBT Equality  (Read 3103 times)

Offline Longhorn32

• Jr. Ranch Hand
XMAS Shopping - List of Companies Supporting LGBT Equality
« on: November 30, 2007, 04:41:10 pm »
Hi, hope everyone is having a good start to the holiday season....here is something I came across. thanks for reading. Check out this website if you would like to know more:

http://www.hrc.org/buyersguide/index.asp

:)

Buying a cup of coffee? Filling up your gas tank? Booking a flight for that dream vacation?

Every day, you make decisions about whom to support in corporate America. The Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s Buying for Equality can help you easily support companies that support equality for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender Americans.

Ratings in Buying for Equality are based on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s annual report card, the Corporate Equality Index. A record 195 companies scored 100 percent on this year’s report, which is a significant increase from the 138 companies that earned a perfect score last year. Every day, from enhanced domestic partner benefits to transgender inclusion in non-discrimination policies, we are seeing a revolution in the American workplace.

Last year, more than 250,000 people used Buying for Equality to make informed choices about their purchases. This year, you can do your part to support fair-minded businesses by requesting or downloading Buying for Equality 2008.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 08:13:02 pm by Longhorn32 »
...it is life, more than death, that is without limits.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: Christmans Shopping For Equality
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 07:03:31 pm »
Thanks, Longhorn, that's excellent information.  I'm glad to know that I can keep or change certain buying habits and support equality for gays, lesbians, bisexual and transgender Americans at the same time!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 10:09:45 pm »
So Cracker Barrel Restaurants is "too be avoided.  Oh, that's so hard.  ;-)  I eaten there only two times.  Next time I'm on the go and need to stop for a serious meal, I'll do Denny.  I didn't see them on the list. I hope Denny's is okay.

Offline Longhorn32

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 06:14:45 pm »
ooh. that is too bad about cracker barrel. I like them, too....never go, of course, but whatever.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
Re: XMAS Shopping - List of Companies Supporting LGBT Equality
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 04:06:28 am »
This is awesome!  I just spent a ton of money at Target today and it is nice to see that they are listed in green.  Definitely need to study up on this guide.  Fascinating!

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 09:59:35 am »
interesting - thanks longhorn!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 01:25:18 pm »

Now having read this guide, it looks like I'm going to have to seriously reform my gas-buying habits.  I almost always go to Exxon-Mobil because my parents gave me an Exxon-Mobil card a long time ago and since then it's be just a routine to use those gas stations.  But, now seeing how poorly they rate on the HRC list, I'll have to change my ways.

I'm also upset to see that Friskies did so poorly in the pet food category.  Friskies makes one type of dry cat food that Vivien really likes.  :-\  I don't get it for her routinely because I don't think it's as high in nutrients as other, better types of cat food... so she may find that Friskies drops out of her diet entirely after this.

I wonder what to make of the companies on the list that didn't respond?

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 01:57:43 pm »
I believe the problem with EXXON-MOBIL was that MOBIL had an ordinance that prohibited discrimination based on sexual orientation. When they were acquired by Exxon, it wasn't recognized.  Exxon has received much pressure to include sexual orientation as a category for non discrimination. In the past, the company has maintained that such an ordinance is unnecessary.  I always try to buy gas as CHEVRON. I think BP is pretty good as well. They spend alot of money on alternative fuel research.

Offline Longhorn32

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 03:38:11 pm »
...shamelessly trying to get more attention to this post.

That's all.

:)