Author Topic: Thoughts on Hot Seasonal Beverages!  (Read 19687 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Thoughts on Hot Seasonal Beverages!
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 10:15:10 am »
Bailey's ...

Once upon a time I had a bartender who would make me what he called a Cherry Chocolate Soda. It was Bailey's, Amaretto, and Kahlua.

Not exactly a hot seasonal beverage, but, boy, was it good!  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2007, 10:27:43 am »
Well I have never heard of posset - so it cant be that popular in Scotland - but it sounds kinda nice.

I stumbled on my love for mulled wine last xmas but will definitely be having more of it now!!

And I like some of the ideas suggested here . Your one amanda sounds good but a little complicated. i think I'll got for the wassail simple version (althought he whole gallon thing confuses me - whats it in litres I wonder!)

Oh! I forgot Bailey's! The problem with Bailey's is that I don't even want to dilute it with coffee. I could suck that stuff down like chocolate milk. It's dangerous!

Katherine - me and you are on the same wavelength here.. there was a minty version of it out here last year which would solve amadas there is no mint on this list dilema!

The one thing I treat myself to at this time of year is the starbuck xmas coffees!! Just had the gingerbread one!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2007, 10:44:52 am »
Well I have never heard of posset - so it cant be that popular in Scotland - but it sounds kinda nice.

I stumbled on my love for mulled wine last xmas but will definitely be having more of it now!!

And I like some of the ideas suggested here . Your one amanda sounds good but a little complicated. i think I'll got for the wassail simple version (althought he whole gallon thing confuses me - whats it in litres I wonder!)

Katherine - me and you are on the same wavelength here.. there was a minty version of it out here last year which would solve amadas there is no mint on this list dilema!

The one thing I treat myself to at this time of year is the starbuck xmas varioetus!!

Hi Kelda!
That's interesting that you've never heard of posset.  I was actually hoping you might chime in on that subject.  So, I guess it really is a pretty rare beverage.

I guess that the gallon or 1.5 gallons recipe for wassail is probably really meant for a big party where you'd have a lot on hand for a big crowd.

I just looked up a converter and it seems that 1 gallon = 3.79 liters.

The Starbucks holiday coffees are really good!  I completely agree.  It's always hard for me to decide if I like the gingerbread or the pumpkin flavor lattes better.

cheers!
:)
Amanda

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2007, 10:48:06 am »
I think what you need, Amanda, is a Peppermint Paddy...

To one mug of hot chocolate, add 2 oz. of peppermint schnapps. Top with whipped cream. Enjoy!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2007, 11:07:29 am »

To one mug of hot chocolate, add 2 oz. of peppermint schnapps. Top with whipped cream. Enjoy!

Leslie

That sounds g-o-o-o-d!  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2007, 11:10:50 am »
That sounds g-o-o-o-d!  ;D

As I am sitting here watching the snow come down, I am thinking the same thing!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2007, 11:23:30 am »

Leslie

That does sound good!  I'll add it to the poll and make it so that folks can change their votes if they feel like it.
8)

Thanks for the suggestion Leslie! :)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 11:24:18 am »
Yes the peppermint paddy does sound good.

Over hear we have the egg nog, gingerbed, toffeenut and creme brulee falvours - no pumpkin.. sounds fun though!

I have to say I just had large gingerbread one as I got to bed about 90mins later than usual last night (and i go to bed late anyway) and I felt a little tired - and now I feel a bit jittery!

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2007, 01:33:04 pm »
Yes, I love those gingerbread and pumpkin lattes! This is pretty much the only time of year when I indulge in lattes, because I love those flavors. (Though I tried an eggnog latte once, and thought it was pretty bad.)

Here's a drink I invented myself, called the Candy Cane. It's not hot, but since we're discussing seasonal minty beverages: vodka and creme de menthe. If you wanted to be really festive, you could put a small candy cane in it as a garnish. (It was inspired by the stinger, which is brandy and creme de menthe, but I like the vodka version better, because it's more purely fresh and minty. You could practically use it as mouthwash!)

Re mulled wine: If you're having a holiday party, it is a really good thing to serve, because it's festive but inespensive, because you can use cheap wine. I made it once for a NY Eve party. I had some champagne, but I couldn't afford to serve champagne to all those people all night long, so I brewed up a big kettle of mulled wine.

(In summer, BTW, the same goes for sangria.)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2007, 01:57:49 pm »
I think one of the nicest things about making a big pot of mulled wine (or mulled cider) for a party is the way it makes the house smell!  So nice!
:)

I think I'm going to go out to Starbucks right now and get a latte!  These threads make me really crave all the things we're discussing!  For instance, I've already consumed way more egg nog this season than I normally would have by early Dec.  But, I've got no resistance at the moment since it's such a hot topic around here currently...