Author Topic: Joe Aguirre: what do you think of this character as portrayed in the movie?  (Read 64012 times)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
Re: Joe Aguirre: what do you think of this character as portrayed in the movie?
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2007, 01:38:39 pm »
Thanks brokeplex!

You say: As a Gay man, I would have been pluperfectly pissed off at Jack.

Since I am perplexed by your sentence, please explain further? Is it that you would like to be in Jack's shoes,
being him in the movie??

You say also: But then I would have set different working conditions right from the start. 

Which ones may I ask?

And I am asking or stating: Is Aquirre really anti-gay??

Hugs!

Artiste, if I were the owner of the sheep operation I would have been pissed off at Jack whether I was gay or not because he was not doing what I told him he needed to do in order to secure an adequate return on my investment. It is clear in the movie that Aguirre is repelled when he sees the boys "lusting in the dust". This is evidence that like most other straight men of the period, he would be by today's standards homophobic. What I was trying to point out in the above post is that Aguirre had other reasons as well to dislike Jack. I would have also been displeased with Jack even if I didn't care if he and Ennis had "nookies" with each other. But unlike Aguirre I would not have been shy about chewing him out for his negligence right then and there.

Different working conditions :
1)  I would have set a different base pay scale for the herder and the camp tender. I would have paid the herder more money because the herder has more direct control over my substantial investment in the sheep.

2) I would have offered incentives in the form of bonuses for the herder for a return of higher numbers of sheep after shovedown. If the numbers of sheep who survived the summer fell below an acceptable level I would have forced penalties in the form of deductions from the herders pay. All on a graduated scale, based on what returns the sheep operation needed to please the investors. Both boys would understand that the care and feeding of the horses and mules was their responsibility and failure to do so would result in pay deductions.   

3) I would have made certain that the boys had good up to date equipment and plentiful free food, the whiskey ration I would cut back. But I would give them lanterns, and transistor radios (1963 technology), and reading materials. (in Ennis's case that would be ranch equipment catalogs)

4) I would have made certain that the boys knew that their job was on an indeterminate timeline. If it turned cold early in Aug, they would know I would want them to start shovedown.

5) A surrogate or myself would have made more frequent inspections, including going up to the grazing area to work along the herder at least once per month.

Is Aguirre anti-gay? By todays standards of course he is homophobic. He wouldn't have even used the term gay to describe Jack and Ennis's actions, he just would have considered them to be "perverted".

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2007, 06:21:34 pm »
Thanks very much brokeplex!

May I ask you to become my business manager?? As your answers about bussiness show that you are such! It is delightful to read them! Am very, very pleased.

But did you ever cinsider that Acquirre is not anti-gay?

Anxious to see about that... if you care to reply. Other can too!!

Hugs!!
N.B. Be assured that I will re-read often your reply. And will answer you many times there too, but please consider my question I pose above first.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2007, 12:29:45 am »
Artiste, thank you for your offer for me to become your business manager.

I must decline your generous offer. I must tell you that as of 3 weeks from now, I will be officially retired.

After that I can look forward to a quiet existence, rocking in my rocking chair, watching the birds in the bird bath, and listening intently to Rush Limbaugh like all of the rest of America's "displaced old white men".

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2007, 01:17:41 am »

I guarantee you we would violate the law....common sense and compassion has to prevail. To leave a herd of sheep alone on the mountain would be a cruel thing. The lawmakers in Washington didn't know anything about life out there.

Exactly, the bureaucrats in Washington did not then and probably now still do not understand the challenges faced in rural areas. That is why local Forest Service officials looked the other way for so long at the "violations" by ranchers who use the allotments. In their own ways Ennis and Jack had to also understand this, they were both raised on ranches in the Rockies.

By the way Injest, sorry about the horse. D.L. teared up when I told him about your horse. He loves his horses. I got him a bumper sticker for his truck, it reads:

"No money held in truck, all my money goes to feeding the horses."

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2007, 01:25:16 am »
He has two at present. He is constrained by lack of space at his place. But, that is not bad for a 26 year old man who has been in business of himself for only 5 years. Everybody has a hobby, and while he was a Texas A&M he took up riding, caring and feeding of these wonderful creatures.

I will stick to my two cats, and my rocking chair....and my AM radio so I can listen to Rush......... How about them Cowboys today ? See Injest they aren't choking!!!!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2007, 07:21:05 pm »
Brokeplex, what is an: Texas A&M ?

May I ask!

Injest, I love horses too! Some still have some here nearby. They are lucky to have a horse as a friend!

That makes me think did Aguirre have those horses? He was the owner?

Hugs! Hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2007, 11:36:06 am »
Brokeplex, what is an: Texas A&M ?

May I ask!

Injest, I love horses too! Some still have some here nearby. They are lucky to have a horse as a friend!

That makes me think did Aguirre have those horses? He was the owner?

Hugs! Hugs!

A university here in Texas that somehow has come to the unlikely opinion that it is a good as the University of Texas. Aggies are in denial.........

Offline Artiste

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2007, 05:46:04 pm »
Thanks brokeplex!

What is: Aggies are in denial.........?? I am lost here. Please explain or detail.

Since I think that Aquirre liked Jack ( as shown in the movie scenes), I ask you if he could be amiable because he knew Jack's parents?  Or is it something else, as in more deeper?

Hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2007, 12:55:16 am »
Thanks brokeplex!

What is: Aggies are in denial.........?? I am lost here. Please explain or detail.

Since I think that Aquirre liked Jack ( as shown in the movie scenes), I ask you if he could be amiable because he knew Jack's parents?  Or is it something else, as in more deeper?

Hugs!

why do you believe that Aguirre liked Jack? Surely not because he chose to hire him again after all of the sheep deaths in Summer 1962.... Aguirre chose to hire Jack again because he felt that Jack could do the job, it was a business decision that he obviously regreted later on.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2007, 12:28:42 pm »
Thanks brokeplex!

I agree with you.

May I also add that is it also deeper for Aquirre since he likely liked Jack!

If he was homophobic or disliked Jack, nor could not care less about Jack, then he would have fired Jack immediately when he saw Ennis and Jack kissing!!

Hugs!