Author Topic: Joe Aguirre: what do you think of this character as portrayed in the movie?  (Read 63994 times)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
Re: Joe Aguirre: what do you think of this character as portrayed in the movie?
« Reply #100 on: January 04, 2008, 01:27:20 am »
Thank you for bringing this up! Please do find that speculative info on Lureen's pregnancy. Your thoughts have opened up a whole new avenue for my understanding as to why she chose to marry Jack. The marriage didn't make a lot of sense to me at first glance.

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2008, 12:07:32 pm »
Thanks brokeplex, thanks ineedcrayons, thanks atz75, and thanks all too!!

One thing bugs me, in the movie, about Lureen indeed!! Concerning Jack's wife, maybe others, you, and I, will talk more about that on her thread? Is there one about her?

Coming back to the subject being Aguirre, this charater as portrait in the movie, may I ask if any of you ladies would have married him??  And men, would you too as in a gay marriage; please state if you are straight, gay, bi  or other, if you care and can? All: can you possibly add why, like reason(s) pro or con, if not neutral; or any other points!!

Hugs!! May I Aguirres continue to be helpful to gays and to others!!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2008, 02:06:59 pm »
It was an argument based on a really detailed (I mean, really, really, really detailed) analysis of the timeline... I recall it was a topic started back in the old imdb days.  I most definitely don't remember all the details either.  But, the argument boiled down to the idea that Lureen was in a big rush to get married because she was probably already pregnant when she married Jack.

Sorry for the tangent.... back to Aguirre....

I think that I may have figured out at least part of this analysis just watching film and the pertinent scenes closely last night.

1) Jack enters the rodeo contest at the Childress Co fair in Aug 1966 - you can see the marquee signs above the announcers both listing the dates of the fair.

2) Jack and Lureen make whoppee that night in her T-bird "...till daddy takes the T-bird awayyyyyyy!"

3) Jack sends a post card to Ennis about coming into Riverton on the 24th, the postmark on the card reads Sept 1967

4) After meeting Alma, Jack tells all that his little boy is 8 months old.

Lets do the math - if little Bobby was conceived in Aug 1966 then he would be normally born around April 1967. But in Sept 1967 Jack says Bobby is 8 months old, if Jack is the father, he couldn't be older than 5 months.

So, Jack isn't the father of Bobby! This explains some of the contempt that L.D. has for Jack and why he had no problem hinting at a cash settlement if Jack would just bug out of Childress. I have also always felt that OMT was not the father of Jack, so there is a symmetry here.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #103 on: January 04, 2008, 02:29:26 pm »
Hold that thought, brokeplex!

I'd love to discuss this more thoroughly, but that's not the subject of this thread, and I'd prefer to see it in a thread devoted to that subject so that others who aren't interested in Aguirre but are interested in Lureen's pregnancy will know that the conversation exists.

I asked Chriss about making this issue a TOTW. If she prefers not to, I'll just start a different thread on the topic.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #104 on: January 04, 2008, 02:39:37 pm »
AOK with me.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #105 on: January 04, 2008, 05:16:44 pm »
Wow, very interesting!

Brilliant adding brokeplex! That answers my quest... of a long time ago, I felt so then!!

Lureen was pregnant before she saw Jack! I always felt that was so, but for another reason or regard!!

Nobody wants to marry Aquirre?

Hugs!! May all Aguirres and Lureens in the World be happy!!

Offline "Joseph Golden"

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Dozy embrace solidified in his memory
« Reply #106 on: January 06, 2008, 09:19:01 am »
One of the reasons he watched the boys could be that he wanted to know why his herder was in base camp and not with the sheep. Why was Jack, who he had hired to be the herder, down at base camp with Ennis? Joe watched until he saw Ennis saddle up and ride up to the sheep. Joe continued watching and saw that Ennis knew how to be a good sheep herder so he was at least relieved to see that. Lets not forget that the "Brokeback" experience for Aguirre was one of financial loss or gain, he should have inspected the performance of his hired hands, in fact I think that he needed to pay unscheduled visits a lot more. His investment in the 1000 sheep was in the hands of the boys.

Was there another type of curiosity on the part of Aguirre? We'll never know.

I don't agree with what you said about him just wacthing them for ten minutes was him cheaking up on his workers. Thats what is written there in plan English, Thats what i think we are meant to believe. Thats the explanation.

But, For ten minutes, A supposable straight men wacthed Two guys have "Anal" sex for Ten minutes

Don't sound right to me......
Don’t lie, don’t try to fool me, Ennis. I know what it means. Jack Twist? Jack Nasty.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #107 on: January 06, 2008, 11:08:47 am »
Thanks melb_boy88!

You sure bring up a good point, melb!

Come ot think of it, it had to take longer than ten minutes for Ennis and Jack to play, plus for Ennis to go back up to where the sheeps where... right?

Awaiting your news,

hugs!!  May gay times of freedom and peace, be joys to all on Earth too!!

Offline ennisjack

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #108 on: January 09, 2008, 11:31:20 am »
  Actually, melb_boy88 and Artiste, are correct. Time just doesn't fit in this. I think Aguirre was getting off on watching which disguted him even more than breathing.  ;D 

Anyway, about the only thing I would marry Aguirre to would be a shotgun.(With profuse apologizes to the shotgun for demeaning it.)  ;D

EnnisJack
If ya can't fix it, ya gotta stand it; If ya can't stand it, ya gotta fix it; If ya can't do either one then ya either need some serious help or yer screwed

Offline Artiste

« Reply #109 on: January 09, 2008, 01:56:50 pm »
Thanks ennisjack!

Wow, you sure comment! With a gun? - since you say: Anyway, about the only thing I would marry Aguirre to would be a shotgun.(With profuse apologizes to the shotgun for demeaning it.) 

Ennisjack, somehow your comment as such sentence, that makes me laugh.

Did you ever think that Aguirre is cool in a way? In the movie!
But also stressed??

On TV news right now, it says that anxiety and stress create more than 30 per cent risk for having a heart attack in men. Do you think that will happen to Aguirre, instead of the shotgun he might see death with??

Dare I ask.

Dare I ask you too: you do not think that he has some good in him? Or you think that he is anti-gay? Or what?

Hugs!