Author Topic: Joe Aguirre: what do you think of this character as portrayed in the movie?  (Read 63991 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Joe Aguirre: what do you think of this character as portrayed in the movie?
« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2008, 01:04:04 pm »
Wow, wow!! Wow, that allegorical role!! Wow, those glasses worn by Aguirre!!

Laura, you certainly are right about Aguirre as allegorical is his role!! Much more can be said about that? Awaiting... your news!

Atz75, your idea about the glasses reminds me of my own life. I used to wear miroir glasses and I remember hiding my shyness behind those, but according to a friend, I was looking too much intensely at others with those!! Is that so with Aguiirre, do you think?

Hugs, hugs!!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator

Bump. :)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Artiste

Aguirree has a look ??

Did anyone notice ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Artiste

No one talks about Aguirre's look that he does ??

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
He definitely specializes in the look, Artiste.  That's a very good point.  Do you mean this one?

I imagine it's pretty devastating to be on the receiving end of that.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
He definitely specializes in the look, Artiste.  That's a very good point.  Do you mean this one?

I imagine it's pretty devastating to be on the receiving end of that.

Yes, that is true.  Aguirre manages to be intimidating through facial expression and tone of voice.  It's interesting that Ennis has this same ability... I'd guess that in his normal, daily life in Riverton he was known as a pretty imposing and intimidating guy.  We, of course, see Ennis differently and with a lot of sympathy and affection.  I think we as the audience are allowed to see through Ennis's masks and intimidating exterior armor in much the way the Jack sees through all of that.

But, I'd wonder in an "intimidating contest" whether most folks would see Aguirre or adult-Ennis as more threatening?

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Yes, that is true.  Aguirre manages to be intimidating through facial expression and tone of voice.  It's interesting that Ennis has this same ability... I'd guess that in his normal, daily life in Riverton he was known as a pretty imposing and intimidating guy.  We, of course, see Ennis differently and with a lot of sympathy and affection.  I think we as the audience are allowed to see through Ennis's masks and intimidating exterior armor in much the way the Jack sees through all of that.

But, I'd wonder in an "intimidating contest" whether most folks would see Aguirre or adult-Ennis as more threatening?
There are many parallels between Ennis and Aguirre...his look (as you mention), his containers, LOL, etc. In fact, Aguirre could be seen as the person Ennis might have become if Jack hadn't happened by...

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"

Oh, that's an excellent point, Amanda.  And it has me thinking of something I hadn't given much thought to before - Aguirre's family life.....what he is like outside of that trailer?  Hmmm.....

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Artiste

Isn't that a look ?

Offline Artiste

Looks given by this actors are many and all important ?