Author Topic: On the lighter side!! (BBM Trivia)  (Read 18519 times)

Offline BBMGrandma

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Jack....I swear.....
On the lighter side!! (BBM Trivia)
« on: March 08, 2006, 08:41:04 am »
Just thought I'd interject a little lighter...brighter side to OUR Movie.  Some interesting trivia here!!!  I think we ALL could use a little brightening....huh?

Enjoy my friends.... :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388795/trivia
"If we never dream....we'll never have a dream come true"   (me...myself...and I)

Offline iristarr

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Ain't no reins on this one . . .
Re: On the lighter side!! (BBM Trivia)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 01:12:07 am »
[b]Good evening, all you wonderful Brokeback-loving
 ladies.  Apologies for not participating in this forum as much as I thought I would.  Had a little trouble in the beginning with the way it worked, still haven't got it down, but thought it time for me to thank everyone of you for your honest outpourings in response to this phenomenon we are experiencing.

I woke up Monday, after the awards, and felt as though I had been kicked in the chest, and I couldn't help weeping and mourning all over again (and I thought I might have been through with that phase of things! LOL) What I was feeling was so much sadness, particularly for Heath and Jake (and he [Jake] seemed to have just dropped under the radar - haven't heard a bit about him since before the awards). And also alienation  -- like we have this tiny, tiny minority who seem to "get" this film's message and we'd just had gotten shot down.  And my own sense of alienation, a life-long thing, just so rarely finding a person, or persons with whom I feel completely free to be myself.  A deep, old lonesome aching thing I remember having when I was quite young.  [/b] So I got through the day, just on the edge of tears all the time, and finally late in the afternoon got in to see my wise therapist, whose Kleenex I consumed with great gusto, and then when I had spilled it all out to her, and my hour was over I began to feel better than I have for months and today my spirits and energy had miraculously lifted, like a dark cloud had at last dispersed.  I am convinced that this film has and continues to have some deep transformational energy for me, it's like a dream that I get to keep coming back to and savoring in all its detail and learning more aspects of myself each time.  And this evening I read the story over again and wept anew.  The best to all of you as we continue this journey.  Iris
Ennis and Jack, the dogs, horses and mules, a thousand ewes and their lambs flowed up the trail like dirty water through the timber and out above the tree line into the great flowering meadows and the endless coursing wind.

Offline BBMGrandma

• Jack....I swear.....
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 04:43:06 am »
[b]I began to feel better than I have for months and today my spirits and energy had miraculously lifted, like a dark cloud had at last dispersed.  I am convinced that this film has and continues to have some deep transformational energy for me, it's like a dream that I get to keep coming back to and savoring in all its detail and learning more aspects of myself each time.  And this evening I read the story over again and wept anew.  The best to all of you as we continue this journey.  Iris

Oh Iris....I DO know that feeling.  Was it a feeling of peace....enlightenment??  When you cry now are they joyful tears?  I waver back and forth....still....between WAVES of sadness and then pure peace.  Like being on a softly curved roller coaster.  No sudden curves like before.  No startled exclamations.  Just a very good feeling of peace and well being.  But I cannot forget our purpose.  Somehow...this love has GOT to spread around this world.  That may be a naive wish....but as I've always said in this life:  "If you never have a dream....you'll NEVER have a dream come true"   ;)
I'm so glad for you Iris.....SO very glad!!!   
Stay WELL and safe......Nancy
"If we never dream....we'll never have a dream come true"   (me...myself...and I)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 01:51:27 am »
I just want to interject that...be it naive... I want this to carry forward in our lives.  If not now, when?  This is a calling for me.  I've never felt this way before - so raw, so happy.  I can feel myself reaching out to others.  It's small ways.  It's not as if I'm an ogre.  But I do tend to be the quiet one, stand-off-ish, and I'm finding myself joining more in the laughter, making some jokes of my own at work, trying to be more open and approachable.  In my own life, I was Jack at 19 and I'm Ennis at 38....I've let the burdens dampen my spirit.  If not now, when?

I love this group.

"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline BBMGrandma

• Jack....I swear.....
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 02:49:50 am »
I've let the burdens dampen my spirit.  If not now, when?

I love this group.

Dear Lynne...

I doubt VERY much if your spirits have EVER been dampened.  My guess is that they were just slightly submerged in the muck and mire of life...that we happen upon in this journey.  I can feel your spirit...Lynne!!  YOU may feel that it isn't 'out there' but I'll bet 'dollars to donuts' that everyone on this forum...AND in your life....are starting to see that light shining through.  And...it's getting brighter every day.   ;D

I LOVE this group too...Lynne!!  It's most definitely my comfort zone.  When I get here it feels like a warm blankie wrapping around me!!   

BIG warm HUG.....Nancy 

Offline iristarr

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 01:58:45 pm »
Lynne and Karma -- I'd guess by now you've gotten Nancy's page of links (to the ad, to Eberts commentary, and to the Brokeback Pledge site.) In response to feelings of wanting to continue this BBM thread out into our lives, I deeply appreciate all the folks on these sites who are putting their best creative thinking and love into continuing this on.  I'm personally feeling as though the path to becoming a gay rights activist is opening up before me, and that quite possibly I am making the first steps upon it right now. And after all the tears of these past six weeks on The Mountain, and the body blow of the Academy awards, I've miraculously arisen for two days now with a whole new astonishing appreciation for myself, just as I am.  Feels like transformation to me. And good morning and good wishes and peace to you both.
Ennis and Jack, the dogs, horses and mules, a thousand ewes and their lambs flowed up the trail like dirty water through the timber and out above the tree line into the great flowering meadows and the endless coursing wind.

Offline iristarr

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 02:11:17 pm »
KARMA?

And now I feel like a silly old fool, laughing at myself.  lol iris

Offline BBMGrandma

• Jack....I swear.....
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 05:30:02 pm »
KARMA?

And now I feel like a silly old fool, laughing at myself.  lol iris

LOL IRIS....I just love ya to pieces!!  Isn't it wonderful to laugh at oneself...and ENJOY IT?? 

From one 'silly old fool' to another!!! <and ALSO lmfao here...heheh> 

Hugsss....Nancy    :-*

Offline iristarr

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 11:33:33 pm »
Hey ladies, just had to tell someone:  I saw BBM for the 10th time this afternoon (as powerful as ever) and finally saw the spit thread!!!!!!!!  Holy smokes, is that sexy, or what?  Also, incredibly, I was more teary this afternoon than when I saw it last week. Go figure . . . best to you all and hope you've had a swell weekend.
Elaine

Offline donnaread

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006, 05:32:40 pm »
I just want to interject that...be it naive... I want this to carry forward in our lives.  If not now, when?  This is a calling for me.  I've never felt this way before - so raw, so happy.  I can feel myself reaching out to others.  It's small ways.  It's not as if I'm an ogre.  But I do tend to be the quiet one, stand-off-ish, and I'm finding myself joining more in the laughter, making some jokes of my own at work, trying to be more open and approachable.  In my own life, I was Jack at 19 and I'm Ennis at 38....I've let the burdens dampen my spirit.  If not now, when?

I love this group.

Wonderfully said, Lynne.  I was Ennis all my life, I'm not as closed off as I used to be but I still tend to be somewhat reserved, but its no longer from fear and shyness, but rather my nature as I've learned how much I enjoy my own company.  In real life I think Heath tends to be like this...he doesn't like all the media attention, he likes his privacy, as I do.  Jake on the other hand seems to be more of a party animal, lol.  What is it about this film that has touched us all so deeply?  I'm a 56 yr old hetero grandmother.  I applaud your being able to tell your therapist.  I have been thinking about seeing a therapist I had years ago, who was wonderful, but I'm embarrassed to talk about this with her...is that silly?  And I can't CRY.  So I don 't get those feelings of release that you usually get from tears.  I must be internalizing it like Ennis does.  Saw BBM again yesterday for the 8th time.  First time seeing it with someone else (my sister whose son is gay).  She liked it but it didn't have the impact on her that it has had on us.  I didn't mind answering her questions but I realize seeing it alone is so much better.  You can sit there and just let it wash over you and absorb in into your very essence.   Its great reading your posts, and everyone else here at Bettermost who have given us a safe and welcome place for our love of BBM.