Author Topic: A Baroque Christmas  (Read 26024 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: A Baroque Christmas
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2007, 12:15:48 am »
Thank you for your contributions Lhuthiel!! I loved all of them! :D

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2007, 12:20:16 am »
This next one is the Overture from Handel's Messiah. It is absolutely beautiful and a lot of fun to play!  :D

Enjoy this beautiful overture. It has a little bit of everything in it. :)

The City of Preston Orchestra performs at Preston Guildhall with Chris Gill conducting.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=komOxVNewIk[/youtube]

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2007, 03:06:50 am »
Wow, isn't it great to learn this about one of our favourite people? How did we not know this before? David I would like to introduce you to LauraGigs, an excellent fiddler as well as our Ennis on the Performance Thread!!

Hi Lee!

Yes, I knew Laura played the violin. Somebody posted a video of Laura playing the violin. The video was up in the banner and I watched it. She's very good! I enjoyed it. :D

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2007, 01:50:16 pm »
I posted this in Andrew's music thread many moons ago, but John Gallagher just sent it to me again.  I think it belongs here for a little light fun.  ;D

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=D09DCZryG2U[/youtube]
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2007, 02:57:54 pm »
Meryl that is so funny. :D Maybe more choruses should incorporate this as I attended a performance and my friend couldn't understand what they were singing in the Hallelujah.  Of course, I've heard it so many times, I got the jist of it.

I guess they could do it with a TelePrompTer as it would be less distracting.   Thanks for posting that.

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2007, 05:36:07 pm »
That was hilarious Meryl... and well done!!! No complaints from me.

Here is Caccini's Ave Maria, which I would normally prefer to be sung by a Soprano, but Slava Kagan (one of the world's greatest counter-tenors in the past decade) sings it extraordinarily well.
[youtube=425,350]4SuBRsPt1Mo[/youtube]
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2007, 09:19:59 am »
Wow, that was exquisite, Daniel.  Thank you.

Scott6373

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2007, 09:29:39 am »
This next one is the Overture from Handel's Messiah. It is absolutely beautiful and a lot of fun to play!  :D

Enjoy this beautiful overture. It has a little bit of everything in it. :)

The City of Preston Orchestra performs at Preston Guildhall with Chris Gill conducting.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=komOxVNewIk[/youtube]

Hey David.  How many Messiah's did you do this year?  I'm done with my spate of them, and the count for this Xmas season is 6, and for the year 2007...14.  Most were truncated version with only the Christmas section, but they always include the Hallelujah chorus...which I never got, since it comes from the Easter section

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2007, 10:51:42 am »
Hey David.  How many Messiah's did you do this year?  I'm done with my spate of them, and the count for this Xmas season is 6, and for the year 2007...14.  Most were truncated version with only the Christmas section, but they always include the Hallelujah chorus...which I never got, since it comes from the Easter section

Maybe because audiences expect that if they're attending a Messiah, there will be the Hallelujah Chorus? I mean, even if they don't know the recitatives, everyone knows the Hallelujah Chorus.

Some Christmas music trivia: The familiar tune used for the Christmas carol "Joy to the World" was cobbled together from various themes from Messiah. The tune was popularized in the U.S. by the hymn composer Lowell Mason, who included it in a collection of tunes that he published in 1836. Mason named the tune "Antioch" for reasons apparently unknown.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Scott6373

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2007, 10:56:04 am »
Maybe because audiences expect that if they're attending a Messiah, there will be the Hallelujah Chorus? I mean, even if they don't know the recitatives, everyone knows the Hallelujah Chorus.

But every time I do tha damn thing and they all start singing it...I keep saying..."Wait...he ain't dead yet...he ain't even born yet!"  LOL