Author Topic: When Did You Stop Believing In Santa Claus or Father Christmas?  (Read 19832 times)

Marge_Innavera

Re: When Did You Stop Believing In Santa Claus or Father Christmas?
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2007, 12:40:53 pm »
I guess technically I was about 8, but I don't remember my Mom ever telling me there was no Santa Claus. It was something I just gradually grew out of. At ages 9 and 10 I was still pretending to believe, but that was as much a game as anything else.

The traditional Santa story took some belief in magic to accept if you lived in south Florida. I'd never seen snow, didn't know how a sleigh worked and the closest thing we had to a chimney was the little vent pipe sticking up through the room from the kitchen.

Never wondered about department store Santa Clauses, though. My Mom told me the real Santa was swamped with work at the North Pole and these were his elves doing reconnaissance.

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
Re: When Did You Stop Believing In Santa Claus or Father Christmas?
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2007, 06:24:18 pm »
I was just over 5 when I stopped believing, and that was an extremely traumatic experience, I tell you! Kids at school had been saying "it's the parents, there's no Santa", and I kept pestering my parents with questions to know the truth .... and they told me, on Xmas day ! I was devastated, and scared, as the world suddenly appeared to me as it has turned out to be indeed: a cruel place.

I was so traumatised by this, that I did not want my kids to believe in Santa; however, THEY kept telling me I was wrong, that Santa existed... they believed TV and other kids and the whole society instead of believing me.

My son is now 13, and he stopped believing around 6 I think, but he was fine; just said "well, so long as I still get the pressies"!
My daughter is almost 7 and still believes; she is a staunch believer too! She asked me "the question" and I did say oh-so-kindly that yes, Santa is imaginary, but she can't be ready yet: she didn't take my answer seriously!

She is so happy to believe, maybe after all it is for the better. She has just started hearing about Jesus Christ (again, from other people, as we are not particularly religious at home), so HE might take Santa's place in her heart, who knows?  :)
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"