Author Topic: The Gay Gene Pool - (questions to think about)  (Read 1961 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
The Gay Gene Pool - (questions to think about)
« on: December 12, 2007, 06:10:41 pm »
Here's a few issues to mull over and weigh in on.  Mull 'em over and weigh in! (Straight people are welcome to weigh in as well.)

1.  If being gay is genetic, and same-sex relationships are legalized and adoption becomes the norm, are we (as homosexuals) running the risk of removing ourselves from the gene pool?

2.  Could it be that relationships such are Jack's and Ennis' would serve a useful biological function of propagating OUR species?

3.  Does anyone know if our numbers are increasing or dwindling in areas where same sex partnerships are now legal?

4.  Is there any evidence at all to indicate that a child born to a gay father and a lesbian mother is more likely to be gay?

5.  As a gay parent, would you prefer your child to grow up gay?

Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: The Gay Gene Pool - (questions to think about)
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 07:41:33 pm »
1.  If being gay is genetic, and same-sex relationships are legalized and adoption becomes the norm, are we (as homosexuals) running the risk of removing ourselves from the gene pool?

Depends.  If you were an only child, then yes.  If not, then the gene that 'makes' someone gay, is also present in your siblings.  If they have children, then it will be passed down.  That's one reason why gays - if the tendency is genetic and I believe it is - have never been selected out of existence.

2.  Could it be that relationships such are Jack's and Ennis' would serve a useful biological function of propagating OUR species?

Yup.  Except you're still part of the human species.  ;D I guess a better word would be 'type'.

3.  Does anyone know if our numbers are increasing or dwindling in areas where same sex partnerships are now legal?

Dunno.  The original numbers of who is gay and who isn't are suspect, so there's really no way to accurately measure anything.

4.  Is there any evidence at all to indicate that a child born to a gay father and a lesbian mother is more likely to be gay?

There is some evidence that youngest sons in a family of sons tends to be gay, but there is nothing definitive otherwise, the statistics are just not there.  Before we even get to any stats on the kids, we would need to know how many gay men and lesbian women have married each other. 

5.  As a gay parent, would you prefer your child to grow up gay?

Straight woman here, so I'm leaving this question unanswered.