Author Topic: Seafood for the Holidays!!  (Read 4843 times)

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Seafood for the Holidays!!
« on: December 14, 2007, 03:59:51 pm »
When I think of Ennis, I think of seafood. Why? Because he's crabby?? No. Because it's hard to get him to come out of his shell? No. Because his fishing line had a price tag on it still after he'd owned it for 5 years? LOL, no. Instead, it's because of the Del Mar Crab House, a restaurant in the historic part of Denver to which I took two a my favourite people, atz75 and EDelMar. BUT, the Del Mar Crab House is now closed!! I have no idea why. So, for the holidays, I'll just have to make my own yummy seafood dishes. Some of these are about to be posted. Please share yours!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: King Crab and Potatoes w Lemongrass Ginger Butter
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 04:21:08 pm »
This recipe courtesy of Tony's Meats in Denver...where all of the meats for the BBQ were obtained!

King Crab with Lemon Grass-Ginger Butter and Roasted Potatoes

Cracked Dungeness crab is also delicious brushed with the lemon grass-ginger butter, then broiled (step 4).

1 3/4 pounds red thin-skinned potatoes (each 2 to 2 1/2 in. wide)
Lemon grass-ginger butter (see notes)
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons minced shallot or onion
1 tablespoon minced parsley
1 teaspoon minced garlic
5 pounds thawed frozen cooked Alaska king crab legs, cracked (see notes)
1 tablespoon minced fresh basil leaves or 1 teaspoon dried basil

1. Scrub potatoes; cut each in half across widest dimension and brush cut sides with lemon grass-ginger butter, about 1 tablespoon total. Set potatoes cut side up in a shallow 3-quart casserole (about 9 by 13 in.).
2. Bake in a 400° regular or convection oven for 20 minutes. Turn potatoes cut side down and bake until well browned and tender when pierced, 20 to 30 minutes longer.

3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix parmesan cheese, shallot, parsley, and garlic. When potatoes are done, sprinkle mixture evenly over them. Cover and keep warm.

4. Arrange crab legs in a single layer in an 11- by 17-inch pan. Brush with lemon grass-ginger butter, using about 2 tablespoons total. Broil 4 to 6 inches from heat until meat is hot in center of thickest part of leg (cut where cracked to test), 8 to 10 minutes.

5. Transfer crab legs to a platter, arrange potatoes around them, and sprinkle with the minced fresh basil. Serve with the remaining lemon grass-ginger butter to add to taste.

Yield: Makes 5 or 6 servings

Lemon Grass-Ginger Butter
4 stalks fresh lemon grass (about 1/4 lb. total)
1 cup (1/2 lb.) butter or margarine
1/4 cup minced fresh ginger
4 teaspoons minced garlic

Trim and discard tough tops and root ends from lemon grass. Remove and discard tough outer layers. With the flat side of a knife, crush tender inner stalks; cut crushed stalks into 2-inch pieces. In a 1 1/2- to 2-quart pan over high heat, combine lemon grass pieces, butter, ginger, and garlic. When butter is melted, turn heat to low and stir often until flavors are blended, 15 to 20 minutes. With a slotted spoon, lift out and discard lemon grass. Use butter hot. If making up to 1 day ahead, let cool, cover, and chill; reheat to serve.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Lemongrass
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 04:24:06 pm »
Where to get lemongrass, you ask? Here's what I do. I buy fresh lemongrass at an Oriental supermarket, where you can get huge bunches for a very low price. I use some, but plant the rest in a big tub. It spends the Rocky Mountain summer outside (it likes lots of water) and the winters in my sunroom. Divide to get more plants. It's easy to grow!!

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Seafood for the Holidays!!
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 05:10:38 pm »
Now that's my kind of Christmas dinner!!!   ;D
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 05:59:10 pm »
It is dangerous to encourage me that way, Bruce! So, okay, here's another. Since I live in Colorado, and recently went to New England, this recipe combines the best of both of my worlds! I actually eschew the bacon in this recipe, or else there's just too much of the animal world in it, IMHO!!

Steak Smothered Lobster Potatoes

Tender slices of tenderloin over Lobster Mashed Potatoes, drizzled with a quick wine reduction and bacon bits.

3 bacon-wrapped filet mignons
1 TBS olive oil
2 tsp minced garlic
sea salt and cracked pepper
1/4 cup vermouth, or vermouth and lobster stock
Lobster Mashed Potatoes – recipe follows
Steamed veggies

Remove bacon from fillets and fry in a large, heavy skillet to release fat and crisp, remove, chop and reserve. Combine olive oil and garlic and rub over steaks, and then season with sea salt and pepper.

Sear steaks in the bacon fat, cooking to rare (for thick or medium to well-done steaks, sear the first side, flip steak and transfer pan to 375 degree oven to finish). Remove short of desired temperature, cover and rest for at least five minutes. Deglaze pan with vermouth, or 1 TBS vermouth and 1/4 cup lobster stock (made from shells if desired) and reduce by half.

Make Lobster Potatoes according to recipe below. Slice the steak on a bias. Stir cold butter cubes into potatoes, and immediately plate, scooping tall dollops of potatoes onto the center of a plate and surrounding with plain steamed veggies. Top potatoes with slices of steak, drizzle with 1 TBS sauce, sprinkle with reserved bacon bits. – Chef Michaelangelo (mick) Rosacci, www.TonysMarket.com -- www.TonyRosacciCatering.com
---

Notes: To make lobster stock, break up shell and stir fry with oil, a dash of garlic and ginger; 1/4 cup thinly sliced carrots, celery and parsley; along with pinches herbs, sea salt and pepper to taste. Sizzle over high heat until beginning to brown, and splash with 1/2-cup vermouth. When reduced, add 4 cups of water. Reduce to taste, roughly 50 – 75%.
---

Lobster Mashed Potatoes

2 pounds potatoes,
10-16 oz lobster tail meat (about 2 tails)
1 tsp kosher salt
8 TBS (1 stick) salted butter, separated
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup milk
pinch of sugar
fine sea salt and white pepper to taste
fresh Italian parsley, chopped

Place the potatoes in a large saucepan with kosher salt and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until tender. Test for doneness by piercing into the center with a fork, if the potato falls easily from the fork, they are done. Drain hot water into mixing bowl (to preheat) and drain potatoes well. Rinse pot and potatoes in hot water and place back onto warm stove to dry up water.

Meanwhile, combine the cream and milk with a pinch of sugar (optional, to inhibit scorching) in a second saucepan and simmer to reduce slightly - keep warm. Also remove lobster meat from shells, remove vein, rinse, and cut into bite-sized pieces along natural seams. Cut remaining butter into cubes about the same size as the lobster and keep refrigerated.

Mash or whip potatoes, slowly stirring in the warm milk mixture as needed. Season to taste with fine sea salt and white pepper. Hold warm at this point until ready to serve.

When the steak is resting, warm the lobster pieces in a pan with 1 TBS butter and fold into warm potatoes along with the parsley. Stir in cold butter cubes and parsley and serve immediately in the center of the plate with slices of steak on top and surrounded with plain steamed veggies.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 12:05:14 pm »
Thanks to Fabienne for this wonderful dish called Ray with Brown Butter:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,6107.msg122797.html#msg122797

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 05:15:24 pm »
Da-yum, this sounds paradaisical for the eater, if not for the eaten.  Yumola!