Author Topic: The Brokeback Tarot Deck-Include Name of Card in Subject Line  (Read 73282 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The Brokeback Tarot Deck
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2008, 09:11:52 pm »
Okay...now what should be the tools or symbols around him. Definitely one should  be the yin/yang sign, don't you think?

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2008, 09:20:28 pm »
Okay...now what should be the tools or symbols around him. Definitely one should  be the yin/yang sign, don't you think?

Absolutely.  Usually a Magician has a coin or disk on the card, a yin/yang would be perfect.  What else are the tools of a director?  The old fashioned stereotyped director had a megaphone, modern directors go around with light detectors or what else?

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2008, 10:18:50 pm »

Maybe a director's chair.  An eye.  Also a pair of scales, since he must weigh artistic decisions.  The actors also spoke of Ang's silence having a sword in it, so perhaps a sword.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The Brokeback Tarot Deck: High Priestess
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2008, 12:25:36 am »
These are excellent suggestions, High Priestess!! Okay, I will start working on this card, and if you have any good magician-like photots of Ang, please post them here. The next card is...the High Priestess! Speaking of the devil!! I don't think we'll have any trouble figuring out who this should be. "The first step is to recognize and name feelings, dreams, experiences and expectations," says Tarot Basics. It also says, "You must first understand and then choose between what is spiritual and what is empty, what is blasphemous and what is faithful, and what is stimulating and what is simply shocking."

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2008, 01:01:18 am »

Here's a photo plus a sepia treatment of it to look at.

Who are you thinking of for the High Priestess?  Daniel suggested the Wind; delalluvia suggested Mrs. Twist.  I think Annie Proulx might suit this as well.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The Brokeback Tarot Deck-HIGH PROULXTESS
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2008, 11:22:56 am »
Does my subject line answer your question, Meryl??  8)

Considering the fact that you are the High Priestess of BetterMost and have an uncanny resemblance to our beloved Proulxlitzer Prizewinner, I might even put a picture of you bestowing your blessing on the gathered pilgrims in Alberta on the card, if you will give your permission!!

Here is an interesting quote from AP:

"...the images of an ideal and seemingly attainable world the characters cherish in their long views despite the rigid and difficult circumstances of their place and time. Those things interest me and are what I write about. I watch for the historical skew between what people have hoped for and who they thought they were and what befell them."

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
Re: The Brokeback Tarot Deck-HIGH PROULXTESS
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2008, 01:53:45 pm »
Does my subject line answer your question, Meryl??  8)

Considering the fact that you are the High Priestess of BetterMost and have an uncanny resemblance to our beloved Proulxlitzer Prizewinner, I might even put a picture of you bestowing your blessing on the gathered pilgrims in Alberta on the card, if you will give your permission!!

Aw, that's sweet of you FRiend, but if we start putting real life BetterMostians on the cards, I don't feel it would be universal enough.  However, a BetterMost Tarot Deck would be an interesting project on its own!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The Brokeback Tarot Deck-THE EMPRESS
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2008, 02:37:49 pm »
Okay, HP, I'll put that on my list!! Rite now I'm working on a Men and Women of BetterMost calendar, so don't know when I'll get to it!! If I had three hands heads I could!!

The next card is The Empress. This is described as Venus, alluring and iresistable. A union of heaven and earth, a crown of stars and material power. "Venus, the power of love, appears in the card independently by herself. . . .when you cling to another person because you aren't able to stand on your own two feet, the other person might be saving your life, but the relationship is not love. Paradoxically, the ability to be alone is a prerequisite of loving." Very interesting.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
Re: The Brokeback Tarot Deck-Include Name of Card in Subject Line
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2008, 03:45:22 pm »
Sounds like Lureen to me.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: The Brokeback Tarot Deck-Include Name of Card in Subject Line
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2008, 05:20:21 pm »

I like the idea of Ang Lee as the Wizard.   Annie Proulx as the high priestess.

I think Ennis should be the prince of swords.

Jack should be the equivalent on a different suit.

Beautiful mind