Author Topic: The Brokeback Tarot Deck-Include Name of Card in Subject Line  (Read 73244 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The Brokeback Tarot Deck-THE MOON
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2008, 11:42:58 pm »
Card 18, the Moon, stands for the collective unconscious, bringing primaeval feelings and hidden omens to life. "The card shows heaven alive and churning, the journey of life, Providence, and many other layers of energy" says Tarot Basics. Just as on the night of the full moon emotions are easily stirred, when you see the Moon card, you are asked to confront some of your most overwhelming feelings.

In this state, you have several opportunities. Your heightened feelings mean that you can put yourself in the shoes of every living being. You will be equally at home in the past, the present, and the future. You can look upon others and see what is godly in them and what is private. The Moon card says to open your heart and let go of apprehension.

Something in this description reminds me of the opening scene, the truck that Ennis rides in coming over the layers of mountains, and the glimpses of him through the cars of the passing train.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The Brokeback Tarot Deck-THE SUN
« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2008, 01:20:26 am »
Being Aware is the subtitle of this card. It shows us a new day, a rebirth, a coming into life by ourselves, for ourselves. We replace conventions and what our parent dictated for a lifestyle that is true for us. We select our relationships independent of our blood relations. We apply our will to make decisions rather than living by the dictates of habit.

Does this describe Alma Jr. to you as it does to me? After all, Alma Jr. is Ennis's first-born son, the son he always wanted, even though he didn't recognize her as such. He even named her "Junior!" And with a smile like hers, she could be the sun!!

A clue: Alma Senior yells out to Ennis to wipe Alma Junior's runny nose. Who else has a runny nose in this story??????

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The Brokeback Tarot Deck-Include Name of Card in Subject Line
« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2008, 01:05:57 am »
Last nite I made my last post in this thread at about 10:30 pm, but after that I continued to read all about the tarot cards. Many of them reminded me so much of Ennis. And today, they remind me of Heath. He was a man who was like THE SUN card, very aware of his inner feelings. He had to be in order to bring so much to his roles (especially that of Ennis). But to be aware can cause pain. I've learned that in the two years I've been a Brokie. To be aware is to feel, and to feel is to hurt. You cannot escape it unless you grab a gun or a bottle and kill yourself quickly or slowly. That said, I do feel that Heath's death was accidental. He took sleeping pills and they can kill, especially in conjuntion with alcohol. But why was he taking the pills in the first place? I'm afraid he couldn't sleep because of the pain of awareness. That and being lost in the soup of celebrity, show business, the city. He needed, we all need, to get back to Brokeback Mountain, where the air is fresh, the winds are bracing, and we can see a long way. When the weather is fair, we can see all the way to the Tetons, way off in the distance, and to the east we gaze on Cloud Peak, with a notch to the north where we can see through to the plain. The grieving plain.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The Brokeback Tarot Deck-RECAP
« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2008, 11:14:38 am »
It's time to get back to creating our Brokeback Tarot Deck. Here's where we stand on the major Arcana:

THE MAGICIAN: Ang Lee, Jack
THE HIGH PRIESTESS: Annie Proulx
THE EMPRESS: Lureen, Jack, the Wind
THE EMPEROR: The mountain, Aguirre, Monroe, Ennis
THE HIEROPHANT: The mountain, Aguirre, Randall, Larry McMurtry, Jack
THE LOVERS: Jack and Ennis
THE CHARIOT: Pickup truck
STRENGTH/ADJUSTMENT/JUSTICE: The parting
THE HERMIT: Ennis's isolation, Ma Twist
THE WHEEL: Four years apart, Wedding rings
STRENGTH/LUSTCaution/JUSTICE: The mountain, the tent
THE HANGED MAN: Tire iron/Earl
DEATH: The Last Postcard, Old Man Twist
TEMPERANCE/ART: Ennis's Night Fire,
THE DEVIL: Ennis's father, Aguirre, Old Man Twist, L.D. Newsome, The Bikers
THE TOWER: The Twist House
THE STAR: LaShawn and Randall
THE MOON: Passing train
THE SUN: Alma Jr.
JUDGMENT/THE AEON
THE WORLD
THE FOOL

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2008, 10:43:52 pm »
It's time to get back to creating our Brokeback Tarot Deck. Here's where we stand on the major Arcana:

THE MAGICIAN: Ang Lee, Jack
THE HIGH PRIESTESS: Annie Proulx
THE EMPRESS: Lureen, Jack, the Wind
THE EMPEROR: The mountain, Aguirre, Monroe, Ennis
THE HIEROPHANT: The mountain, Aguirre, Randall, Larry McMurtry, Jack
THE LOVERS: Jack and Ennis
THE CHARIOT: Pickup truck
STRENGTH/ADJUSTMENT/JUSTICE: The parting
THE HERMIT: Ennis's isolation, Ma Twist
THE WHEEL: Four years apart, Wedding rings
STRENGTH/LUSTCaution/JUSTICE: The mountain, the tent
THE HANGED MAN: Tire iron/Earl
DEATH: The Last Postcard, Old Man Twist
TEMPERANCE/ART: Ennis's Night Fire,
THE DEVIL: Ennis's father, Aguirre, Old Man Twist, L.D. Newsome, The Bikers
THE TOWER: The Twist House
THE STAR: LaShawn and Randall
THE MOON: Passing train
THE SUN: Alma Jr.
JUDGMENT/THE AEON
THE WORLD
THE FOOL

This is so terrific, Front-Ranger! It's great to see all of the deck laid out.
Maybe all of BetterMost could all tackle the creation of the individual cards for the deck. LauraGigs is a fine artist and I'd love to make a few cards. Perhaps it could be a group project for all of the community. Send me a PM.
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2008, 05:09:46 pm »
This is so terrific, Front-Ranger! It's great to see all of the deck laid out.
Thank you Toy-c!!

Maybe all of BetterMost could all tackle the creation of the individual cards for the deck. LauraGigs is a fine artist and I'd love to make a few cards. Perhaps it could be a group project for all of the community.

Excellent idea! Right now, I am leaning towards using photography with BetterMost artist-designed borders. There's another thread here that invites people to vote on their favorite Tarot card styles, which are pictured. [/quote]

Send me a PM.

Will do!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2008, 11:33:42 pm »
The question at hand is what should be depicted in the cards JUDGMENT/THE AEON, THE WORLD, and THE FOOL??

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The Brokeback Tarot Deck-The Joker
« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2008, 11:57:15 pm »
Here's what "Tarot Basics" says about The Fool or The Joker:

This is the bottom line, the starting point from which everything else flows. You must have the courage to face the future, to walk your own path and to be open, even if your back isn't covered. The word for "everything" in Greek is "pan." So "panic" means everything at once. Drawing the Fool says that you are perfectly happy. Fulfilling important desires and resolving obsessive fears are now your daily tasks.

Who comes to mind as you read this????

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #98 on: February 14, 2008, 12:12:53 am »
I would like to discuss the entire minor arcana in just a few posts. There are four suits: Wands, Cups, Swords, ande Pentacles or Disks. If we can decide the basic themes of the suits, the details of the individual cards can be decided later, don't you think?

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #99 on: February 16, 2008, 02:08:20 pm »
Great information, Marcia! Based on what you write, I'd like to propose Old Man Twist for the Death card!!

Not sure about that - the suggestions of the postcard or the shirts might be closer to the card's essential meaning. Or maybe the shirts and the postcard on the same card?