Author Topic: New Greenlea Tale: The Rookie  (Read 140828 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: New Greenlea Tale: The Rookie
« Reply #390 on: February 21, 2008, 11:48:58 pm »
and now for the fireworks on chapter 65:

http://louisev.livejournal.com/254409.html
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #391 on: February 22, 2008, 06:30:48 am »
and now for the fireworks on chapter 65:

http://louisev.livejournal.com/254409.html

I simply cannot beleive Pams mother. Her attitude is appalling!! What saddens me is that there probably ARE women like her, who really DO think that women who are raped, "ask for it" by the way that they dress, or act, or how much makeup they have on. She ought to be ashamed of herself. Evil bitch.  >:(

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #392 on: February 22, 2008, 07:22:14 pm »
SPOILERS

Oh, my.  That was even worse than I thought it would be.  Colson was right in hanging up in the face of such abhorrent and hateful ignorance. Calling your own daughter a whore who lies about being raped?  There was clearly no rational discussion to be had.   I shudder to think what would happen if the girls didn't have Colson and Ellery to turn to. 

Interesting discussion at the beginning of the chapter, reminding us that in the early 80's it really was common belief that AIDS was "that disease queers get.”

Very thoughtfully written, Louise.

Thanks,
Marie

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #393 on: February 22, 2008, 11:53:59 pm »
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #394 on: February 23, 2008, 06:31:29 am »
What a hateful old bitch Pams mother is!! How could she call her own daugher a whore and suggest she,s lying about being raped? Is she the kind of woman who thinks that if a woman wears a short skirt she,s "asking for it" because men just "can,t help themselves"? ffs. She doesn,t deserve to be a mother. Horrible old cow.  >:( >:( >:(

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #395 on: February 23, 2008, 10:59:31 am »
and here is chapter 66!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/254542.html

SPOILERS

Nice for Colson and his girls (and his girls  :) ) to all go riding together, and a nice mother-son talk between Edna and Ellery.  As much as she loves her boys, she's an objective and fair-minded person and a "momma" herself at heart.  Ellery is right that the girls certainly will be well cared for at the Brown's home. 

And, of course, at the end of every chapter, I think - what could possibly happen now? 

Thanks, Louise!
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #396 on: February 23, 2008, 07:55:18 pm »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #397 on: February 24, 2008, 12:28:31 pm »
SPOILERS

Ahh...well, I've been waiting for this - or something like this - Jeremy and Ellery and Colson are a pretty tight trio and I'm not surprised that Nick feels like the odd man out.  And it doesn't help matters that he's the baby of the bunch, just starting college while the rest of them are well-settled into careers. And it also doesn't help that one part of that trio is his former hard-nosed employer. And it also doesn't help that he's still feeling insecure about Jeremy's sexuality (and their relationship in general); it wasn't that long ago that Jeremy had his "date" with the older, taller, and to Nick's eyes, sophisticated, assistant district attorney of Greenlea County.  And it also doesn't help that they haven't yet done any socializing with Jeremy and his best friends - aside from Ellery and Colson's reception - and even then Nicky was serving drinks and helping out. 

But, Jeremy's a smart guy and he knows that his cocky man is really an insecure boy.  Maybe it would help matters if Nick could help the girls settle into university life.....

Great dialogue, as always, Louise -

Thanks,
Marie

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #398 on: February 24, 2008, 02:14:01 pm »
SPOILEr!

yes Nick is a boy!  excellent analysis.  Good thing he married a man who can be talked into reassuring him without blowing up and humiliating him.  And besides, at the root of it all, he knows what Nick wants.  He wants his sweet thing all to himself!!!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #399 on: February 24, 2008, 02:32:41 pm »
...And besides, at the root of it all, he knows what Nick wants.  He wants his sweet thing all to himself!!!

Yep, and who can blame him?   ;D