Author Topic: It's finally happened...  (Read 9201 times)

moremojo

It's finally happened...
« on: May 16, 2006, 10:49:08 am »
I was just checking back on IMDb, and I noticed that my very first thread on TOB is now gone. I submitted the opening post on February 20th, two days after seeing Brokeback Mountain for the first time, and though this wasn't my very first post on TOB, it was the first one I made after actually experiencing the film. The title of my initial post was 'The tears keep coming'. I know some people now on board here replied to that, and some very beautiful sentiments were expressed in that thread. It was inevitable that the thread would one day disappear, but it's still a bit melancholy to realize that it is now a fact. Thank you all for the warm and tender connections that were initiated on that thread that was so dear to my heart. May those connections endure here in our safer home of BetterMost.

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 07:42:13 pm by moremojo »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: It's finally happened...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 11:34:11 am »
Oh, I remember you, Scott! I loved your posts (still do, of course). And I remember that particular thread.

Well, here it is three months later, and the tears keep coming for me even now.

moremojo

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 11:43:01 am »

Well, here it is three months later, and the tears keep coming for me even now.
Me too...I was just thinking of the scene where Cassie is asking questions of Alma, Jr. in the tavern, and Alma, Jr. says that her daddy perhaps isn't "the marrying kind", and for some reason the memory made tears well up in my eyes. Any scene in the film can be a potential inducer of tears, even three months later. The grieving lessens somewhat, but it never seems to go away entirely. Annie and Ang, what have you done to us?

:'(
Scott

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 11:46:04 am »
This makes me feel sorry for the few valiant people on TOB who work hard to stay ahead of the trolls and engage with the many new people who are just now seeing the film for the first time.

I share your grieving, Scott!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 11:50:37 am »
I remember that thread too, Scott! I'm not sure if I posted on it, but I did read! Sad it's gone!

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

moremojo

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 11:52:16 am »
This makes me feel sorry for the few valiant people on TOB who work hard to stay ahead of the trolls and engage with the many new people who are just now seeing the film for the first time. 
I still check back on TOB occasionally to see how the lay of the land looks there, but rarely feel inspired to participate there as a poster nowadays. My BBM energies seem much more strongly oriented towards BetterMost these days. But I am glad that there are intelligent, sympathetic posters who are welcoming of BBM newbies on TOB, and I only hope they persevere and fully reclaim that once glorious resource from any lingering trolls.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 11:53:23 am »
Me too...I was just thinking of the scene where Cassie is asking questions of Alma, Jr. in the tavern, and Alma, Jr. says that her daddy perhaps isn't "the marrying kind", and for some reason the memory made tears well up in my eyes. Any scene in the film can be a potential inducer of tears, even three months later. The grieving lessens somewhat, but it never seems to go away entirely. Annie and Ang, what have you done to us?

:'(
Scott

you know, that scene reminds me of the first bar scene with Ennis and Jack sitting side by side. The way Jr. says "Maybe he's not the marrying kind" is reminiscent of the way Ennis says "Once in a while, when I got the entry fee in my pocket." The look on their faces were nearly identical; no eye contact, a slight worried/guarded brows, melancholy in their voices, both focusing on their bottles. She really is her daddy's daughter.

any how, yes! I completely remember that thread. Some great sharing on that one. I even have it saved.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

moremojo

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 11:58:38 am »

any how, yes! I completely remember that thread. Some great sharing on that one. I even have it saved.
Really...saved? That's wonderful! You just brightened my day, starboardlight. Thank you for having the foresight to do that. So very many of our threads have been consigned to oblivion, and here I thought this one had likewise bit the dust. Again, many thanks!

:)
Scott

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 12:04:54 pm »
you know, that scene reminds me of the first bar scene with Ennis and Jack sitting side by side. The way Jr. says "Maybe he's not the marrying kind" is reminiscent of the way Ennis says "Once in a while, when I got the entry fee in my pocket." The look on their faces were nearly identical; no eye contact, a slight worried/guarded brows, melancholy in their voices, both focusing on their bottles. She really is her daddy's daughter.

Great observation, starboardlight. That is how he looks. (To go OT for just a quick moment, what do you make of that line? He tells his daughters later that he only rodeoed once. Is he just shyly trying to be agreeable to Jack by implying more of a shared interest? And then later feels comfortable enough with Jack to negate it with the "my dad thought rodeoers were fuckups"?)

Back slightly closer to topic, it's true that almost any scene can be tear-jerking. I'd like to hear other examples of not-overtly-sad scenes that make people sad anyway.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 12:15:31 pm by latjoreme »

moremojo

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 12:05:16 pm »
And you can find it in the BBM archives, Scott!! I just checked.
Could you direct me to these archives? I don't seem to be familiar with this resource (assuming it's on BetterMost). Even over a month of membership here, I'm still a newbie in some ways!

Thanks,
Scott

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 12:10:10 pm »
Scott, I've PMed you.

~ j U d E

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 12:13:34 pm »
I feel your wistfulness, Scott, having had several threads of my own go down.  Just last night I finally deleted the e-mails that linked to several of them, since they led only to blank pages.   It makes me really, really sad that some people get a kick out of deleting things just to be mean.  :(

Starboard, that's a great observation about Alma, Jr., and Ennis having the same mannerisms in those two scenes.  I love it when someone points out a new detail.   8)

I can see why some posters still hang in there at IMDb, and I still get a lot from visiting over there because of their great posts.  Something about the layout there is more conducive to serious discussion, I think.  Fewer distractions on the page.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2006, 12:25:32 pm »
I feel your wistfulness, Scott, having had several threads of my own go down.  Just last night I finally deleted the e-mails that linked to several of them, since they led only to blank pages.   It makes me really, really sad that some people get a kick out of deleting things just to be mean.  :(

Starboard, that's a great observation about Alma, Jr., and Ennis having the same mannerisms in those two scenes.  I love it when someone points out a new detail.   8)

I can see why some posters still hang in there at IMDb, and I still get a lot from visiting over there because of their great posts.  Something about the layout there is more conducive to serious discussion, I think.  Fewer distractions on the page.

I think you are right, Meryl!  ;)

About the similarities between the characters, each time I'm more surprised at how very similar Alma Jr's voice is to Alma Sr.. (Kate Mara and Michelle Williams). Maybe it's just me, but there's something about it. The tone, or the pronunciation, intonation.. not sure. And I totally agree on Alma Jr and Ennis! They chose the perfect actress to play Ennis' daughter. She's just perfect!

I'm jealous again..

~ j U d E

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2006, 12:49:19 pm »
You guys got me curious enough to go to the archives and start browsing around, and on the thread about Bookends (started by BetterMost's Amanda), I found a post suggesting something else that corresponds to the Cassie/Alma Jr. scene: Alma Jr. looks away and picks at her Coke bottle, just as when earlier Jack suggests the little cow-and-calf operation, Jack looks away and picks at his beer bottle. Both scenes involve implied or symbolic marriage proposals, and both get rejected.

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2006, 12:55:58 pm »
Talking about deleted thread, Jude, I also missed the one you started about what made people non-homophobic.  There was a lot of great sharing on that thread too.  Has that thread survived or been saved somewhere?

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2006, 04:00:14 pm »
Really...saved? That's wonderful! You just brightened my day, starboardlight. Thank you for having the foresight to do that. So very many of our threads have been consigned to oblivion, and here I thought this one had likewise bit the dust. Again, many thanks!

Scott

yeah, i saved it to my server. here's the link. I saved it back in march, so some of the newer posts on there didn't make it.

http://nipith.com/bbm_threads/TearsKeepComing.html
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2006, 04:06:06 am »
Talking about deleted thread, Jude, I also missed the one you started about what made people non-homophobic.  There was a lot of great sharing on that thread too.  Has that thread survived or been saved somewhere?
Ehm.. err..  ;D I have it saved myself. I think! I'll check!

~ j U d E

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2006, 02:50:21 pm »
Hey Scott,

I am just skimming this great thread while I'm a work...and so maybe this was posted earlier but the thread you mention is saved on the archive, with entried up through April 16th, It's the first one under the category "BROKIES: Impact" (which is a considerable way down the list of categories, after all the actors, scenes, characters, etc.). I assume you have the link to the archive now (to be kept very confidential within this site only!) but here it is again:

http://www.geocities.com/bbmarchive

We are still slowly working on the archive, littledarlin and me, when we aren't up half the night checkin for coyotes, and commutin four hours a day.  ;) ;D

Jenny
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2006, 05:07:32 pm »
Ehm.. err..  ;D I have it saved myself. I think! I'll check!

~ j U d E

Really???!!!  That would be awesome!  Don’t tell me you can not find it, now you get my hope up :).  If you do find it, can you send the thread to me, or maybe repost it either here or on the website NY Jenny listed in her post?  Thank you, thank you!

moremojo

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2006, 07:39:52 pm »
Thank you so much, JudeW and starboardlight, for your archiving initiative and foresight, and for the helpful links. This really means so much to me that this early thread of mine so precious to me still lives in some form.

Scott

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2006, 04:19:01 am »
Thank you so much, JudeW and starboardlight, for your archiving initiative and foresight, and for the helpful links. This really means so much to me that this early thread of mine so precious to me still lives in some form.

Scott

You're welcome! But it's really Jenny and Littledarlin's doing!

~ j U d E

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2006, 04:19:41 am »
Really???!!!  That would be awesome!  Don’t tell me you can not find it, now you get my hope up :).  If you do find it, can you send the thread to me, or maybe repost it either here or on the website NY Jenny listed in her post?  Thank you, thank you!

I will check tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I have it..

~ j U d E

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2006, 04:47:51 am »
Oh! I just checked something in my IMdB profile and there are NONE of my Pierre Tremblay posts left! Not a single one! That's very sad now...  :'(

~ j U d E

vkm91941

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2006, 06:02:45 am »
YEP...it's like the end of era!  Very sad indeed