Author Topic: It's finally happened...  (Read 9195 times)

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: It's finally happened...
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 12:10:10 pm »
Scott, I've PMed you.

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 12:13:34 pm »
I feel your wistfulness, Scott, having had several threads of my own go down.  Just last night I finally deleted the e-mails that linked to several of them, since they led only to blank pages.   It makes me really, really sad that some people get a kick out of deleting things just to be mean.  :(

Starboard, that's a great observation about Alma, Jr., and Ennis having the same mannerisms in those two scenes.  I love it when someone points out a new detail.   8)

I can see why some posters still hang in there at IMDb, and I still get a lot from visiting over there because of their great posts.  Something about the layout there is more conducive to serious discussion, I think.  Fewer distractions on the page.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2006, 12:25:32 pm »
I feel your wistfulness, Scott, having had several threads of my own go down.  Just last night I finally deleted the e-mails that linked to several of them, since they led only to blank pages.   It makes me really, really sad that some people get a kick out of deleting things just to be mean.  :(

Starboard, that's a great observation about Alma, Jr., and Ennis having the same mannerisms in those two scenes.  I love it when someone points out a new detail.   8)

I can see why some posters still hang in there at IMDb, and I still get a lot from visiting over there because of their great posts.  Something about the layout there is more conducive to serious discussion, I think.  Fewer distractions on the page.

I think you are right, Meryl!  ;)

About the similarities between the characters, each time I'm more surprised at how very similar Alma Jr's voice is to Alma Sr.. (Kate Mara and Michelle Williams). Maybe it's just me, but there's something about it. The tone, or the pronunciation, intonation.. not sure. And I totally agree on Alma Jr and Ennis! They chose the perfect actress to play Ennis' daughter. She's just perfect!

I'm jealous again..

~ j U d E

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2006, 12:49:19 pm »
You guys got me curious enough to go to the archives and start browsing around, and on the thread about Bookends (started by BetterMost's Amanda), I found a post suggesting something else that corresponds to the Cassie/Alma Jr. scene: Alma Jr. looks away and picks at her Coke bottle, just as when earlier Jack suggests the little cow-and-calf operation, Jack looks away and picks at his beer bottle. Both scenes involve implied or symbolic marriage proposals, and both get rejected.

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2006, 12:55:58 pm »
Talking about deleted thread, Jude, I also missed the one you started about what made people non-homophobic.  There was a lot of great sharing on that thread too.  Has that thread survived or been saved somewhere?

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2006, 04:00:14 pm »
Really...saved? That's wonderful! You just brightened my day, starboardlight. Thank you for having the foresight to do that. So very many of our threads have been consigned to oblivion, and here I thought this one had likewise bit the dust. Again, many thanks!

:)
Scott

yeah, i saved it to my server. here's the link. I saved it back in march, so some of the newer posts on there didn't make it.

http://nipith.com/bbm_threads/TearsKeepComing.html
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2006, 04:06:06 am »
Talking about deleted thread, Jude, I also missed the one you started about what made people non-homophobic.  There was a lot of great sharing on that thread too.  Has that thread survived or been saved somewhere?
Ehm.. err..  ;D I have it saved myself. I think! I'll check!

~ j U d E

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2006, 02:50:21 pm »
Hey Scott,

I am just skimming this great thread while I'm a work...and so maybe this was posted earlier but the thread you mention is saved on the archive, with entried up through April 16th, It's the first one under the category "BROKIES: Impact" (which is a considerable way down the list of categories, after all the actors, scenes, characters, etc.). I assume you have the link to the archive now (to be kept very confidential within this site only!) but here it is again:

http://www.geocities.com/bbmarchive

We are still slowly working on the archive, littledarlin and me, when we aren't up half the night checkin for coyotes, and commutin four hours a day.  ;) ;D

Jenny
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2006, 05:07:32 pm »
Ehm.. err..  ;D I have it saved myself. I think! I'll check!

~ j U d E

Really???!!!  That would be awesome!  Don’t tell me you can not find it, now you get my hope up :).  If you do find it, can you send the thread to me, or maybe repost it either here or on the website NY Jenny listed in her post?  Thank you, thank you!

moremojo

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2006, 07:39:52 pm »
Thank you so much, JudeW and starboardlight, for your archiving initiative and foresight, and for the helpful links. This really means so much to me that this early thread of mine so precious to me still lives in some form.

:)
Scott